ScottCM

Anyone in JHB go to the Karkloof preso last night?

Sad I didn't, wife and I have been putting some real thought into doing the 50 miler later this year..

A couple of us went through.

Anybody thinking about doing it, should just enter. 

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this is just such an epic image

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_xcq1rzTePeI/SwEbj4QWBkI/AAAAAAAAB78/GHFO3UDvDO4/s1600/Bruce.Fordyce.pic1.jpg

I believe that is from the 100 miler when he set the world record

little bit of googling, Photo: Bruce Fordyce, encouraged by his sister, at the 1982 London-to-Brighton.

http://realendurance.blogspot.co.za/2009/11/bruce-fordyce-1984-interview.html

this is my fave bruce pic, we had a huge one up in a changing room at school. plus i loved milo then too

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_3iNs9UMimDk/SwoYiq-3xoI/AAAAAAAAAUM/US5JXcqXbSc/s1600/Bruce+2.JPG

So these arrived yesterday, Clifton4s. I went trough a few months of roller coasting decision making before buying them. Getting my hands on a demo pair for a few minutes swayed my mind. They feel like nothing Ive experienced before. They have way more support than any of my other neutral shoes, one of the main reasons I got them. Sizing is definitely not standard, I got half a size bigger and it is still more snug than any of my other shoes. They have a similar feel and sizing to the Salomon S Lab range. I expected it to be lighter, but they are still somewhat lighter than my Nike Vomeros, even though its a bigger size. Will give them a quick run tomorrow morning.

post-734-0-06572600-1518680282_thumb.jpeg

Missed it but also seriously considering the 50miler

Also keen to do the 50miler but prob only next year

little bit of googling, Photo: Bruce Fordyce, encouraged by his sister, at the 1982 London-to-Brighton.

That's his sister?! Geez, they chose their running genes well.

So these arrived yesterday, Clifton4s. I went trough a few months of roller coasting decision making before buying them. Getting my hands on a demo pair for a few minutes swayed my mind. They feel like nothing Ive experienced before. They have way more support than any of my other neutral shoes, one of the main reasons I got them. Sizing is definitely not standard, I got half a size bigger and it is still more snug than any of my other shoes. They have a similar feel and sizing to the Salomon S Lab range. I expected it to be lighter, but they are still somewhat lighter than my Nike Vomeros, even though its a bigger size. Will give them a quick run tomorrow morning.

You won't be sorry, I also found them a snug fit, and size 12 with Hoka soles look a bit clown ish, but they are amazing shoes, and the further you run the more you love them.

You won't be sorry, I also found them a snug fit, and size 12 with Hoka soles look a bit clown ish, but they are amazing shoes, and the further you run the more you love them.

Im size 11. So I look like a really skinny clown.

Very keen to hear, thanks.

Mine is directly on the side of my hip but is not a hectic pain...just a very annoying dull ache.

On cortisone and anti inflammatory stuff. I haven't read too much about it because I'm not a big fan of googling medical stuff on the interweb!!

I just know it's an inflamed bursa (outside of hip)

I had this and it was my gait causing the problem. I was running with my left femur /leg in a wider stance - angled slightly outwards from center. Pain went away after I stopped doing that. I now use the cue of knees brushing 2-3cm apart to keep the leg angled correctly.

My pain was also on the side of the hip, I hope you get to the bottom of what's causing it.

I had this and it was my gait causing the problem. I was running with my left femur /leg in a wider stance - angled slightly outwards from center. Pain went away after I stopped doing that. I now use the cue of knees brushing 2-3cm apart to keep the leg angled correctly.

My pain was also on the side of the hip, I hope you get to the bottom of what's causing it.

I have played with a number of insole inserts to get my gait correct.  My wife is a little miffed that I have purchased almost every possible insert that sportsman's warehouse has.   I find that a little bridge support does the trick

Thanks for the input, appreciate that.

So was your left leg landing facing outwards and your right leg straight basically?

Whilst mine is a lot better with all the aforementioned treatment etc, I'm still hoping it was a case of overdoing it (doubled my mileage in one month!!)

Is it just me... but all the Hoka’s I’ve seen look like they have much thicker soles/ more EVA down there than other running shoes?

Found it a bit strange when I first saw them (when Conrad’s Stolz started wearing them) seeing that the trend (at the time) was going towards minimalistic shoes and they look anything but minimalistic.

Is it just me... but all the Hoka’s I’ve seen look like they have much thicker soles/ more EVA down there than other running shoes?

Found it a bit strange when I first saw them (when Conrad’s Stolz started wearing them) seeing that the trend (at the time) was going towards minimalistic shoes and they look anything but minimalistic.

That is the whole point of Hoka's, they said that the whole minamalist idea is not the correct way and they broke away from salomon and made super cushioned shoes...

Your foot does sit a bit in the cradle of the shoe sole but yes they are super cushioned.

That is the whole point of Hoka's, they said that the whole minamalist idea is not the correct way and they broke away from salomon and made super cushioned shoes...

Your foot does sit a bit in the cradle of the shoe sole but yes they are super cushioned.

Thanks

Would like to try them then, but switz is a bit behind and they are not easy to find. I normally wear a Euro 46 but won’t buy any unless I can try them on first.

Do they have a light anti pronation model?

Anyone willing to share their Strava activity for the 15km Hot Legs run? Have the route for the 32km run, but nothing for the 15km. 

Edited by EmJayZA