ScottCM

Yeah, usual route easier in my books... first 15km hard, then a nice fast easy finish. This reverse route was pretty challenging all the time with very few free miles.

Good training indeed though

I've never done the normal route but enjoyed the reverse, I took it very chilled at comrades pace. I would hate to race the route though think it would be extremely tough if you push for a good time. 

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the screenshot must be made on Monday morning for those still training at 12 at night...

attachicon.gifSorryStretch.png

Top 5 finish for me before I start tapering, I'll take it  :clap:

I see a lot of the big guns are already tapering, I managed to make the top 10 on Randburg Harriers Strava group and you normally need 120km + to make the top 10.

I don't have a link, but just search "BikeHUB Cyclist with a "Running" Problem" at Clubs.

Dankie!

The question is do I go running in this terrible cold weather in Gauteng or go to the gym?

I really cannot afford to get sick now... 

The question is do I go running in this terrible cold weather in Gauteng or go to the gym?

Treadmill :whistling:

Sun's out

Just something that I recalled from the accident in the Cradle thread. There are many more runners lately in the Cradle. Not sure if it is because of the build up for Comrades, or due to the area becoming more of a long run destination. 

I have often come too close for comfort to runners when the sun is directly in my eyes (early in the morning) or in shaded areas. Please can you guys wear bright colours (or a white cap even) so we can see you easily? Sometimes you guys are invisible in the shaded areas. Please also maybe just mention it to your fellow running mates. 

The treadmill is a great spot to pick up some bugs. I actually think a run outside would be the better option. The cold does not really make you sick. Gyms are a breeding ground for a lot of nasties. 

Just something that I recalled from the accident in the Cradle thread. There are many more runners lately in the Cradle. Not sure if it is because of the build up for Comrades, or due to the area becoming more of a long run destination.

I have often come too close for comfort to runners when the sun is directly in my eyes (early in the morning) or in shaded areas. Please can you guys wear bright colours (or a white cap even) so we can see you easily? Sometimes you guys are invisible in the shaded areas. Please also maybe just mention it to your fellow running mates.

There is not enough emphasis on high visibility in south Africa. This had been an eye opener for me. Everyone wears high visibility wether they going for a walk or run. You get frowns if you not. On winter days especially.. Morning runs should include high vis

One of the greatest fears I have when training or watching people training are motorcars.

I die a hundred times everytime I see a runner running along a motorway or on a busy road. 

I know that it is not always possible to run in leafy suburbs or on level pavements, but surely for our own safety we could plan our routes with a bit more care to include quieter roads than a motorway? (Considering the carbon monoxide poisoning as well).

One of the greatest fears I have when training or watching people training are motorcars.

I die a hundred times everytime I see a runner running along a motorway or on a busy road. 

I know that it is not always possible to run in leafy suburbs or on level pavements, but surely for our own safety we could plan our routes with a bit more care to include quieter roads than a motorway? (Considering the carbon monoxide poisoning as well).

That's still not as bad as being invisible. There is a lovely stretch of road in the Cradle coming back from the Caves towards Lion Park with very gentle decline and is pretty straight. There is a ton of foliage and trees on the side of the road, so it is completely shaded. It's very easy to hit 50 to 55km/ph here if you push it. The other day I must have come within less than a meter of a guy dressed in dark colours. If we had to collide, it would have been very bad. More than happy to give ample way to runners, but I have to see them to do that. 

I run in the Cradle for the same reason cyclists are cycling there...

There are not a lot of cars and it is beautiful. You don't have to cross busy intersections and you cannot (really) get lost. It is an excellent training route, and I find it challenging.

Most cyclists are friendly and give way.

Except for the one p03pol that swore at us for running in the Cradle. We were running in single file when he passed us and we were wearing visible clothes, I always run with a white cap...

I think he was either jealous of us or really suffering on his bike. He is just plain stupid shouting the F-word at a bunch of runners. He has clearly never seen runners react to a car/taxi trying to cross over a road at a race.

More than happy to give ample way to runners, but I have to see them to do that. 

Sorry Emjay but i TOTALLY disagree with you here. As runners we run against the flow of traffic, a cyclist has his or her back to the traffic and can't see cars coming as easily as a runner who is facing them can. Therefore I strongly believe and live by the notion that it is the Runners responsibility to move out the way, either into the road if traffic is clear and indicate to the cyclist that they can keep left or onto the pavement if there is traffic coming!

EDIT: As sporting people no matter which discipline we need to look after each others safety and end this nonsense culture of entitlement. 

Edited by ScottC-M