ScottCM

So after more deliberation, I have decided to scrap the Apple watch idea and have set my sights on a more specialized basis. I have heard that the Garmin 235 is quite a good watch for running? any advice or experience on the watch that you can give me? Alternatively, what other watch should I be considering around the 4k-5k price point?

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks @dave303e,

I think I do need to elaborate that this watch will be strictly used for running and connecting to my smartphone.

So after more deliberation, I have decided to scrap the Apple watch idea and have set my sights on a more specialized basis. I have heard that the Garmin 235 is quite a good watch for running? any advice or experience on the watch that you can give me? Alternatively, what other watch should I be considering around the 4k-5k price point?

There a 235 in classifieds https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/326074-garmin-235-forerunner/

I have the 230. I cost the 230 at the time because there was concern about the battery usage of the built in HRM. It had subsequently come out they it has minimal impact on battery life. My 230 is just perfect. Good solid watch in my book.

I would look at getting some replacement straps as they only last just over a year for me and they are ridiculously expensive. Amazon has some non garmin ones for under €20

Alternatively, what other watch should I be considering around the 4k-5k price point?

I used the Suunto Spartan Trainer extensively for approx a year and have my sights now on the Polar Vantage M.

FWIW: the SST will give you ~10h on GPS Best and ~12:30h on Good.  All in all a very nice watch (with 'triathlon' etc capabilities) and with great support from Ultimo :)  (If you are going this route I would recommend the SST with mineral glass.   All models have 5y warranty as well.) 

Edited by Pieter-za

I used the Suunto Spartan Trainer extensively for approx a year and have my sights now on the Polar Vantage M.

FWIW: the SST will give you ~10h on GPS Best and ~12:30h on Good.  All in all a very nice watch (with 'triathlon' etc capabilities) and with great support from Ultimo :)  (If you are going this route I would recommend the SST with mineral glass.   All models have 5y warranty as well.) 

I have the 230. I cost the 230 at the time because there was concern about the battery usage of the built in HRM. It had subsequently come out they it has minimal impact on battery life. My 230 is just perfect. Good solid watch in my book.

I would look at getting some replacement straps as they only last just over a year for me and they are ridiculously expensive. Amazon has some non garmin ones for under €20

Suunto Spartan trainer...

Really appreciate all the suggestions guys. The Suunto Spartan Trainer and the Garmin Forerunner 235 are currently leading in my mind. Need to do a bit more research...

the suunto spartan isn't great with open water gps tracking but a colleague of mine uses it for running and has no problems at all tracking his runs

Same here.  I went with the 230 instead of the 235 for the 13 hours vs the 11 hours battery life.   I will buy any one of these two in a heartbeat, VERY happy.

FWIW, I presume you refer to the HR strap?  Mine is two years old now and still perfect.  I do rinse it from time to time and wash as per their instructions.

If you talk about the watch strap, well that is like new still in my case.

Edited by Jackes

Really appreciate all the suggestions guys. The Suunto Spartan Trainer and the Garmin Forerunner 235 are currently leading in my mind. Need to do a bit more research...

I haven't used the Suunto but it sounds good.

If you are looking at the garmin it might be worth spending an extra little bit for the 645 - R5350 at Navworld (https://shop.navworld.co.za/garmin/sports-and-fitness/garmin-fitness-running/garmin-forerunner-645-black.html) 

The 630 was the pro version of the 230/235 and the 645 is the update on that - 2/3 years newer with some shiny new features - https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/03/garmin-forerunner-645-music-gps-watch-in-depth-review.html

If you want to stretch that 5k a bit more, then you can get this...

https://www.takealot.com/garmin-fenix-3-sapphire-hr-grey/PLID42257002

Just keep an eye out, they are on daily deals a lot now as they are to be discontinued with the 5 out.   It was on for R5,600 a few weeks back.

Just go and fit them, as the fenix is bigger and heavier than the very lightweight 235.

Edited by Jackes

The strangest thing just happened to me..

I got sent a screenshot of a Run Zone facebook page congratulating their runner for coming FIRST at Karkloof 50 miler! I'm also a run zone member but don't attend too often if I'm honest so I don't know people or results etc. I did however recognize the name in the photo...

ITS FRIKKEN BARRY STUART'S JESS!!

First place lady! 

Good grief well done team!

The strangest thing just happened to me..

I got sent a screenshot of a Run Zone facebook page congratulating their runner for coming FIRST at Karkloof 50 miler! I'm also a run zone member but don't attend too often if I'm honest so I don't know people or results etc. I did however recognize the name in the photo...

ITS FRIKKEN BARRY STUART'S JESS!!

First place lady! 

Good grief well done team!

Awesome news! She's a bloody machine 

FWIW: the SST will give you ~10h on GPS Best and ~12:30h on Good. All in all a very nice watch (with 'triathlon' etc capabilities) and with great support from Ultimo :) (If you are going this route I would recommend the SST with mineral glass. All models have 5y warranty as well.)

thanks @dave303e,

I think I do need to elaborate that this watch will be strictly used for running and connecting to my smartphone.

And more importantly to use to join our Strava group