ScottCM

and get the brooks (ghost 11's) he suggested, I've heard the name on the Hub a few times.)

I am biased but I have 2 x 9's sets and 1 x 10.

Even if you decide on something else later, you can always use these as your trainers and they won't let you down I recon if he also advises them.  My first pair from 10/2016 has 1,350km on them now and I cannot see retirement soon.    This km's at their price and how much I like them, I recon is a good buy!

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Amsterdam number is a palindrome.... That's got to be lucky... Right??

Thought it was your birth date at first...  :ph34r: 

Good luck Stretchy, and remember to try some performance enhancing cookies at the local coffee shops  :whistling:

You going to smash a PB Stretch. best of luck and remember the report afterwards.

Good luck to Ferret, Odinson and anyone else running too. 

Whoop! Whoop!

This'll be my first half in a race. Hoping to dip into a sub-5min/km. Will see if the traffic, race nerves, etc. will let that happen. 

Question for the experienced runners: what's a better race strategy - fast start and ease into the pace or easier start and then a faster split? 

Whoop! Whoop!

This'll be my first half in a race. Hoping to dip into a sub-5min/km. Will see if the traffic, race nerves, etc. will let that happen. 

Question for the experienced runners: what's a better race strategy - fast start and ease into the pace or easier start and then a faster split? 

Start easier and speed up in the second half if you're up to it... like most things, overcook your legs early on and you will pay the price later  ;)

Whoop! Whoop!

Being able to negative split the second half is a great feeling

Being able to negative split the second half is a great feeling

Yip... and it's far more common in half marathons than the bigger distances. 

Whoop! Whoop!

The races where I actually ran negative splits were where I started deep in the pack forcing me to run the first few km’s much slower than normal. It is a great feeling when your fastest km’s of the race are your last few.

The races where I actually ran negative splits were where I started deep in the pack forcing me to run the first few km’s much slower than normal. It is a great feeling when your fastest km’s of the race are your last few.

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm figuring. Getting out of the initial bunches will/could be slow going, so a negative split would make sense. 

Hoping the weather holds out. It'll probably be cold, but if it pisses rain, it's going to be, uhm, interesting. 

Hello all,

first off, good luck to those heading off for Amsterdam, I hope you SMASH it!

So, I need help. I am going to be purchasing a new running watch but having difficulty choosing one. I have narrowed it down to the Garmin Forerunner 235 and the Vivoactive 3. These are both at the end of my budget and I can't increase it.

The 235 is from what i can see, very runner focused and has good running features. The VA3 also has running features, but expands to more Smartphone capabilities and others (like golf, which I do play). the draw back is its not as runner focused like the 235.

any opinions? i need to purchase next week and cant make up my mind.

Hello all,

So, I need help. I am going to be purchasing a new running watch but having difficulty choosing one. I have narrowed it down to the Garmin Forerunner 235 and the Vivoactive 3. These are both at the end of my budget and I can't increase it.

The 235 is from what i can see, very runner focused and has good running features. The VA3 also has running features, but expands to more Smartphone capabilities and others (like golf, which I do play). the draw back is its not as runner focused like the 235.

FR 235 all the way for me... have a few friends that have it and are very happy.

FR 235 all the way for me... have a few friends that have it and are very happy.

I like that it has the vo2 max, race predictor and assists with rest duration, hence the more focused running.

But also the watch will be everyday use, which is why the va3 comes into play

Hey guys

Just want to provide some feedback. Posted here quite a few weeks ago after struggling with ITB. Running my first half marathon race on the 13th of this month.

With the ITB, I eventually followed a combination of all the advice (in no particular order);

1. running more in the middle of the road where possible

2. stretching

3. Ice

4. rest

5. physio

6. roller

What I've found is that the pain and discomfort now sets in quite a bit later and that I'm recovering MUCH quicker. 

I'm doing Meiringspoort down in the Southern Cape. My in-laws live in Oudtshoorn so looking forward to the trip.

Have been running my training runs (up to 18km) at 5min/km pace and have been comfortable. So hoping I can have an enjoyable and strong race.

Thanks for the advice and happy running.

Hello all,

I have the 230 love it. Can wear it as an everyday and it has good battery life and nice features. It's not only running orientated as I have used it for the bike too