ScottCM

30 days to Comrades.. [emoji51]

How is everyone doing. Im on 1200km now. Started getting a niggle here and there the last week, so Im backing off now. Taking a rest day after every run. Not much than can be gained now anyway.

Also on 1200km (and on antibiotics [emoji19])

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree, I think Camille will again win this year. Gerda and Anne are both strong runners, but after 70km, Camille is just a bit stronger.

I really like Gerda! So I am rooting for her. She is so down to earth and she deserves the title. 

Do any of you know of a 10km next weekend Saturday (or during the week), road or trail? Not many alternatives to RAC 10km and I'm looking after the kids while my wife runs that. There aren't a helluva lot of options on Runnersguide.

I see there is a 10/21 km in Pretoria on Saturday the 18th, Quatro Race of Hope 21/10/5

https://www.entrytime.com/event-details/?EventId=6022

(Don't know if that side of the Jukskei is too far for you)

PS. Any ideas where to hide under a rock the weekend of the 9th of June? Preferably no cellphone reception and no TVs.

Go as light as possible. I stay in the Free State and even on the coldest mornings I only wear a long sleeve shirt and a very light jacket. And make sure the jacket is ventilated. You do need proper gloves though.

Too many layers and you will sweat like a pig in 10 minutes.

Agreed... Buff and gloves are your best friend and when the buff gets hot you can drop it around your neck. When the hands get warm you can slip the gloves into a pocket or sommer Into your shorts. I run through winter with that and a thermal long sleeve and shorts... Sometimes a light gilet over that if it's below 0

PS. Any ideas where to hide under a rock the weekend of the 9th of June? Preferably no cellphone reception and no TVs.

I decided the best option was to run a marathon [emoji16]

I really like Gerda! So I am rooting for her. She is so down to earth and she deserves the title. 

I see there is a 10/21 km in Pretoria on Saturday the 18th, Quatro Race of Hope 21/10/5

https://www.entrytime.com/event-details/?EventId=6022

(Don't know if that side of the Jukskei is too far for you)

It'll be post-elections so you may well be saved by load shedding  :ph34r:

Do any of you know of a 10km next weekend Saturday (or during the week), road or trail? Not many alternatives to RAC 10km and I'm looking after the kids while my wife runs that. There aren't a helluva lot of options on Runnersguide.

Wildjoburg has a 10km trail:

https://www.wildjoburg.co.za/race-info/

Route:

https://www.strava.com/segments/16589380

Edited by gifs

Ouch. Well, it wouldn't be a PB but could still be a good, final burnout before Comrades I guess.

It is a proper technical rocky trail. Definitely not a 10k PB route!

Hi Guys

Any advise on layering in the winter. Cycling is relatively easy, but what do you do with running, seeing that it is kind of difficult to store the clothing as you take it off?

I asked a similar question last year, as I had never run through winter before that. Personal experience taught me:

> 10 deg C

Shirt, maybe a buff in case it feels colder;

5-10 deg C

use a buff and arm warmers, maybe gloves;

< 5 deg C

long sleeve shirt, with short sleeve shirt on top.

Buff and gloves;

< 0 deg C

Stay in bed

Shorts all year round no matter the temperatures.

I'll be doing race backup on the day... I've always been so appreciative of my club guys out there supporting us on the day, so with my problems this year it's an easy option for me to give a little back.

I'll be shedding a few tears when that cockeral crows, but just for slightly different reasons this year.

I asked a similar question last year, as I had never run through winter before that. Personal experience taught me:

> 10 deg C

Shirt, maybe a buff in case it feels colder;

5-10 deg C

use a buff and arm warmers, maybe gloves;

< 5 deg C

long sleeve shirt, with short sleeve shirt on top.

Buff and gloves;

< 0 deg C

Stay in bed

Shorts all year round no matter the temperatures.

Very good summary.

Luckily in Cape Town it doesn't get below 5 degrees easily..... I think ;-)

Anyone looking for a Rhodes entry,a friend of mine isn't going and want to give hers away. Just DM me and I will send you her details.

Agreed... Buff and gloves are your best friend and when the buff gets hot you can drop it around your neck. When the hands get warm you can slip the gloves into a pocket or sommer Into your shorts. I run through winter with that and a thermal long sleeve and shorts... Sometimes a light gilet over that if it's below 0

You run through winter in shorts but wear a thermal long sleeve....

You KZN tropical die hard ????

Why not try long tights?

Edited by SwissVan

You run through winter in shorts but wear a thermal long sleeve....

You KZN tropical die hard [emoji1787]

Why not try long tights?

Legs can handle cold much better!

By thermal I mean one of those skin tight first ascent skin layer things