ScottCM

Going into the Comrades week on antibiotics [emoji40] Will make the call to run or not run on Wednesday.

Hoping and praying I get rid of this Sinus infection....

Sports Doc says he will get me on the starting line!

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Going into the Comrades week on antibiotics [emoji40] Will make the call to run or not run on Wednesday.

Hoping and praying I get rid of this Sinus infection....

Sports Doc says he will get me on the starting line!

make sure you are 100%. 3 pages back in the topic and you will see my warning. I thought I was ok and then ended up with pneumonia after a big race

make sure you are 100%. 3 pages back in the topic and you will see my warning. I thought I was ok and then ended up with pneumonia after a big race

Can't overemphasise this!  Long story short - in 2015 I started ill (RHR 120+) and with a fever.  Came to my senses and abandon race at ~21km. (Rather late than never).  Ended up at a cardiologist afterwards. 

No race is more 'valuable' than your health, it is just not worth it.   See the larger pic. 

Agree with Edgar's race assessment here, my only regret about running is that I can't watch the women's race. Just so many good runners who have their eyes on 1st place rather than just a gold.

My final prediction is:

Women

Ann

Gerda

Camille

Men

Bongmusa

Steve Way

Gift

Ann's tactics to win will be interesting since she'll have to figure out a way to nullify Gerda. She seems to thrive off an element of negativity, thinking she's being underestimated, so the amount of expectation that Gerda will win will put her into overdrive. Not sure how she'll go about it, though? Possibly push the pace hard and take the lead early then run off sheer fear for the remaining 60km.

She's taken the Japanese approach and bludgeoned her training with simple volume, I wouldn't be surprised if her Jan to Jun mileage is close on 4,000km. But John Hamlett's Sparta tactic can work well—if you're one of the lucky ones—since you're either broken before your race or you arrive in freak condition. I think that may benefit Gift Kelehe too and see him returning to the podium.

Edited by Barry Stuart

I think the men top 2 you could be correct but I am not sure Gift still has it in him to get on the podium. I think David Gatebe and Edward Mothibi have to be the guys to watch pushing the podium. The ladies is between Ann and Gerda but I think Morozova will be on the podium like last year. There will be a huge gap to the next ladies just like last year. The race tactics will be interesting to say the least Gerda's time in Oceans indicates she could break 6 hours but Ann while not having Gerda's raw speed is a serious tough nut and will be incredibly hard to beat. I will go for Gerda I think she is probably the better up runner but let's see! Sunday morning TV viewing is sorted!

While you all are tapering for the big C, i will give a little report back on the Cork Marathon I did on Sunday.

We planned to do it about 5 weeks out - so not following a marathon programme or anything. Just upped the mileage, ran gradually increasing long runs on the weekend and threw in a 10 mile at +- 70 min every Tuesday. A few speed sessions too.

The plan was to run a 3:15 and go for a negative split. 1:38 at half and 1:36 odd the second half. Conditions were great except for a few wind bursts in the second half. As usual i went out a little too fast and ended up with pretty even splits (a 2 min positive). 1:36:42 for the first 21 and 1:38:39 for the second 21 - for a total time of 3:15:21. Second half was quite a bit harder with more hills and the wind picked up.

Positives I can take away:

first marathon I have run the entire thing without walking (ok disclaimer..I had 3 small walks in the last 800m)

Felt relaxed most of the way - and heart rate was in a good place for me

I am pleased where i am just before I start my marathon programme in July

Tracksuit dude ruined a pretty cool photo

5447de2a03b40a6222af534267279dc5.jpg

Edited by Stretch

While you all are tapering for the big C, i will give a little report back on the Cork Marathon I did on Sunday.

We planned to do it about 5 weeks out - so not following a marathon programme or anything. Just upped the mileage, ran gradually increasing long runs on the weekend and threw in a 10 mile at +- 70 min every Tuesday. A few speed sessions too.

The plan was to run a 3:15 and go for a negative split. 1:38 at half and 1:36 odd the second half. Conditions were great except for a few wind bursts in the second half. As usual i went out a little too fast and ended up with pretty even splits (a 2 min positive). 1:36:42 for the first 21 and 1:38:39 for the second 21 - for a total time of 3:15:21. Second half was quite a bit harder with more hills and the wind picked up.

Positives I can take away:

first marathon I have run the entire thing without walking (ok disclaimer..I had 3 small walks in the last 800m)

Felt relaxed most of the way - and heart rate was in a good place for me

I am pleased where i am just before I start my marathon programme in July

Tracksuit dude ruined a pretty cool photo

5447de2a03b40a6222af534267279dc5.jpg

You got beat by Tracksuit Dude?

You got beat by Tracksuit Dude?

Ha ha....I passed him at some point and never saw him again... So I don't think so [emoji4]

Looks like dude was on his cool down jog

Tracksuit Dude looks like he's putting the hurt on Stretch, all casual in his gym gear and with his little water bottle.  

Guy in the back is like: "Where's the fookin' finish line?!"