ScottCM

Yolande Maclean, I remember speaking to her long ago and finding out who she was (!) and she was 7 or 8 golds from as many races. She wanted to get 10 and then call it a day. No idea where or who she runs for.

Yup that’s her

Ran in boksburg colours many years ago. Remember when she was still a teenager and used to run the local TT’s and go to the same gym.

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been led to believe these are great for swinging from tree to tree...

:whistling:

You would be correct man cub..... I wanna walk like you..... 

Little hijack. My son is 5 and shows real interest in running. He does the parkrun regularly. I want to get him better shoes. Would Maxxed from MR Price shoes be good enough or should I look at big brand shoes. Keep in mind, I want to buy shoes that fit nicely and not 2 sizes to big for him to grow into. That means I would have to buy 3 pairs a year!

Little hijack. My son is 5 and shows real interest in running. He does the parkrun regularly. I want to get him better shoes. Would Maxxed from MR Price shoes be good enough or should I look at big brand shoes. Keep in mind, I want to buy shoes that fit nicely and not 2 sizes to big for him to grow into. That means I would have to buy 3 pairs a year!

At that age and the way their feet grow. Mr price shoes are fine. When he's about 8 then look at more dedicated shoes

At that age and the way their feet grow. Mr price shoes are fine. When he's about 8 then look at more dedicated shoes

Thanks, I forgot to mention that he is also built like a Ethiopian. Weights only 17kg

Dont underestimate the Maxed shoes. They put a great deal of R&D into all their shoes. They even have running specific shoes in very small sizes.

We ran schools cross country a lot back in the day, I can remember we only started running in shoes between U11 and U13, even then lots of the kids just put leuko tape under their feet for the thorns. But that was now literally 20 years back. We also ran purely on grass.

If he can't do barefoot, what about Vivo Barefoot?  (Froggies?)

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/aug/09/barefoot-best-for-children

This is precisely the niche that a newly launched range of kids' 'barefoot shoes', Vivo Barefoot, aims to fill. "Children get the health benefits of going barefoot with the protection of normal shoes," says MD Galahad Clark, who is a descendent of the shoemaking Clarks family. The shoes, with sizes ranging from 18 months (the age from which most babies are walking) to seven years, are wide, light and flexible with a 3mm puncture-resistant sole.

The range was launched in South Africa last year (under the name Froggies), and research conducted there found that replacing seven- to 12-year-old children's 'normal' school shoes for Froggies over a two-month period resulted in increased foot strength, balance, mobility and ankle function - the same benefits normally attributed to walking in bare feet. The South African Podiatry Association has given the shoes their stamp of approval.

Edited by Pieter-za

We ran schools cross country a lot back in the day, I can remember we only started running in shoes between U11 and U13, even then lots of the kids just put leuko tape under their feet for the thorns. But that was now literally 20 years back. We also ran purely on grass.

They still do.

The ladies podium will be the same as last year Morozova Ann and Gerda. Camille is just too slow over Comrades yes she won in 2017 but there was no competition and her time was very slow for a winning time.

Catching up here.

But i think you might be a little harsh on Camille. She beat Morozova in '17. 

Also, you only have to run around 4:10/km to beat the record and for Camille has proved she has that pace over 100 milers. If it is a shoot out with 8-20k to go, Gerda is the fastest in the race, marathon wise. 

Also, the up run is a grind and not a speed race. The amount of climbing makes this a much more difficult race and pure speed is less important. I think with so many women contending for a T10 it could make the first half quick and those that stick to their race strat might come through in the last 30k. There could be some massive hemorrhaging in the second half. The tactics are going to fascinating to watch. Some of the womens podium contenders will DNF.

The 100 miler guy will struggle for a top 10. Those races have almost no climbing and that will break him. 

Look for Canaday and Way to make life difficult for podium contenders if you are looking for non african runners. 

post-7883-0-82384800-1559477568_thumb.png