ScottCM

Dunno... I would pick rain over 45' heat.

I have done some races where it didn't stop raining for 3 days. That's sleeping in the rain, trekking, riding, paddling etc in the rain. Once you're wet you're wet. 

The heat makes things way harder. You are forced to carry more water, more food, it gets harder to eat and drink but you have to. Anything sweet starts being sickly, food melts, fruit tastes sour..... Nah. 

+1, rain you can put a rain jacket on. Heat you can only get so naked before you get charged with indecent exposure.

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The heat makes things way harder. You are forced to carry more water, more food, it gets harder to eat and drink but you have to. Anything sweet starts being sickly, food melts, fruit tastes sour..... Nah. 

Didn't think of it this way. Makes sense what you say.  :thumbup:

Baz, can only talk about Fly Knit, but it is by far the best upper I have run in. Doesn't get hot and dries quickly.

Also, form fitting which makes sure there are no hotspots.

Yeah, the comfort of those knit uppers is a huge leap ahead of my current kicks.

Dan also is very handy at OCR as well. 

Karkloof the first year it was about 35deg at 5pm before the strart. Then at midnight it started raining and rained on and off and was cold till cutoff basically.

Karkloof last year, temps were amazing and it was dry till lunch time on Sat then all her broke loose with rainstorm.

But it is midlands weather so hardly dangerous. At UTD if a storm klaps you on the escarpment at 2900m you will know all about it. The temps drop a lot lower a lot faster, there is nowhere to hide and it will get you in trouble. That altitude is what makes Skyrun so rough as well, weather changes in an instant and you can be in groot k**.

I see waterproof pants are now compulsory gear for UTD 100/160. First time I have seen that as a requirement.

I see waterproof pants are now compulsory gear for UTD 100/160. First time I have seen that as a requirement.

**makes note that cut-off is now 30 penalty mins shorter... 

**makes note that cut-off is now 30 penalty mins shorter...

Whaha. I’m doing the 100k, not sure I can afford to lose 30mins.

Waterproof pants are lifesavers in the cold and wet.

It was interesting at itera they were googling our waterproof jackets and checking that they met the recommended water column ratings. They also checked the emergency bothy bag ratings. We also had all of our lifejackets physically tested pre-event and some of us ended up using rental jackets cos ours didn't pass the test.

I see on their list there is a 30min penalty for missing key items like thermals and rain gear. That should be straight DQ. You never know, twist an ankle at 2900m elevation and have to wait hours for a rescue without thermals and rain gear and it will be touch and go...

Edited by dave303e

My first goal was to get up to a very comfortable 50km a week. During the week was pretty short, so 2 or 3 road 8kms in the morning, and then spend some time on the trails over weekends.

The last couple months I started doing Sat Sun back 2 back runs, which took my vol to 60 or 70km a week. Fitted in a couple marathons, couple 50km runs.

Overall strategy was never about speed - thats not my jam, only building time on feet.

That sort of puts my mind at ease for my first 100k at UTD in April. I am currently comfortably doing 50km a week, building up to 70km soon as part of my training for Soweto Marathon in November.

I am looking for a couple of decently long trail races early next year in preparation for UTD, but the only one that looks feasible at this stage is Drakensberg Northern Trail 40k in March. I do not necessarily want to travel too far as it ends up costing a lot of money.

That sort of puts my mind at ease for my first 100k at UTD in April. I am currently comfortably doing 50km a week, building up to 70km soon as part of my training for Soweto Marathon in November.

I am looking for a couple of decently long trail races early next year in preparation for UTD, but the only one that looks feasible at this stage is Drakensberg Northern Trail 40k in March. I do not necessarily want to travel too far as it ends up costing a lot of money.

Northern Trail is a good one, Wartrail run is also a good option.

If it is purely long training run, why not get the Mnweni marathon gps route, get a few people together and just go run it for fun. Great mountain running, dirt cheap and good prep.

Northern Trail is a good one, Wartrail run is also a good option.

If it is purely long training run, why not get the Mnweni marathon gps route, get a few people together and just go run it for fun. Great mountain running, dirt cheap and good prep.

Organising my own run is of course the backup plan. Could always do a couple of loops at Klipriviersberg or Kingskloof for something a bit closer to home.

Organising my own run is of course the backup plan. Could always do a couple of loops at Klipriviersberg or Kingskloof for something a bit closer to home.

The problem with this (I've found) is that you will not come close to the types of climbs in the berg. I'm now keen to either spend some good running in northern berg (you really can do it for dirt cheap for just and overnighter) and its very close, or even head to Mpumalanga side, Sabie, Blyde River, MacMac type hills.

Why not enter the Sani Stagger 38km Trail run on 23 Nov? it has 1580m of climbing and shares bits and pieces of the UTD and only cost R390.

https://www.sanistagger.co.za/stagger-trail/

Between my day to day stuff and getting running in I am dead tired for the most of this year already.  I added slomag out of desperation since a week back after someone mentioned it to me and I am feeling a heck of a lot better.   

So whether it is all in the mind I don't know, but if magnesium is what us 40 odd year old men should add to our diets, what is the best/cheapest magnesium to add, apart from those that comes in real food? 

Between my day to day stuff and getting running in I am dead tired for the most of this year already.  I added slomag out of desperation since a week back after someone mentioned it to me and I am feeling a heck of a lot better.   

So whether it is all in the mind I don't know, but if magnesium is what us 40 odd year old men should add to our diets, what is the best/cheapest magnesium to add, apart from those that comes in real food? 

You getting enough protein?

Spinach!  :clap: 

(sorry, had to)