ScottCM

well done to all at CT marathon, everywhere I am hearing stories all over of either amazing day or it all fell apart. Happens to us all at some stage, falling apart is a part of running that makes you better and stronger. Motivates you further to train harder. got to roll with the punch and come back swinging next time hey...

In other news, I see Munga trail was cancelled....

late ont his one....didn't see that coming, i can think of a few reasons. looks like they are putting it on the backburner, so I don't know what the chances of 2021 are. For me, it's just too long...there's a reason why you get lots of 100 milers and that's about it.

the 2020 event will be cancelled as a result of insufficient sponsorship and early bird entries. For some inexplicable reason the Trail event has not shown the entry growth that the event’s Mountain Biking sister event has shown and with the lack of confirmed sponsorship for 2020 this is currently the only option open to the organisers.

Over three editions of the event, it’s 54 starters resulted in only 26 finishers medals being awarded to 40 runners 

interesting math there.

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

late ont his one....didn't see that coming, i can think of a few reasons. looks like they are putting it on the backburner, so I don't know what the chances of 2021 are. For me, it's just too long...there's a reason why you get lots of 100 milers and that's about it.

the 2020 event will be cancelled as a result of insufficient sponsorship and early bird entries. For some inexplicable reason the Trail event has not shown the entry growth that the event’s Mountain Biking sister event has shown and with the lack of confirmed sponsorship for 2020 this is currently the only option open to the organisers.

Over three editions of the event, it’s 54 starters resulted in only 26 finishers medals being awarded to 40 runners 

interesting math there.

Hahahaha

I remember having this conversation with your good mate Clint on Reunion. He was adamant the Munga Trail was a sustainable race because 'look at america, 200-220 milers are now the rage'...

I hate to say I told you so.... (I don't actually).

It is an amazing challenge, but Andy Wesson, Nicky Booyens and Bennie Roux aren't enough to keep the coffers full unfortunately.

There are only so many crazies who will enter it once, never mind repeatedly. 

Sad to see it go before I gave it a crack, but I am not surprised at all.

Pity the organisers couldn't just give it a lift when they saw it was going in the wrong direction.......

Sorry for late reply...dolomite is cheap and its a blend of calcium and magnesium. It was recommended to me and also that it gets taken at night as it gives the body the best chance to absorb it.

Between my day to day stuff and getting running in I am dead tired for the most of this year already.  I added slomag out of desperation since a week back after someone mentioned it to me and I am feeling a heck of a lot better.   

So whether it is all in the mind I don't know, but if magnesium is what us 40 odd year old men should add to our diets, what is the best/cheapest magnesium to add, apart from those that comes in real food? 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2019/09/30/alberto-salazar-dr-jeffrey-brown-doping-bans/3826670002/

Track coach Alberto Salazar, who trained four-time Olympic champion Mo Farah and a number of other top runners, has been given a four-year ban in a case pursued by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency.

USADA said in a news release Monday that an arbitration panel decided on a four-year ban for Salazar and endocrinologist Jeffrey Brown for, among other violations, possessing and trafficking testosterone while working at the Nike Oregon Project (NOP), where they trained top runners.

Brown did consulting work for the NOP and was a personal physician for some of the runners.

A four-year USADA investigation began after a BBC report that detailed some of Salazar’s practices, which included infusions of a legal supplement called L-carnitine that is supposed to enhance athletic performance.

It is also disgusting that athletes spoke out about it, ie it was likely coming from coaches and sponsors not from athletes desire-

“The athletes in these cases found the courage to speak out and ultimately exposed the truth,” said USADA Chief Executive Officer Travis T. Tygart. “While acting in connection with the Nike Oregon Project, Mr. Salazar and Dr. Brown demonstrated that winning was more important than the health and wellbeing of the athletes they were sworn to protect.”

It is also disgusting that athletes spoke out about it, ie it was likely coming from coaches and sponsors not from athletes desire-

“The athletes in these cases found the courage to speak out and ultimately exposed the truth,” said USADA Chief Executive Officer Travis T. Tygart. “While acting in connection with the Nike Oregon Project, Mr. Salazar and Dr. Brown demonstrated that winning was more important than the health and wellbeing of the athletes they were sworn to protect.”

I'm not following you here. Can you elaborate on what you mean?

The coaches were influencing athletes to use PEDs.

From the quote, it appears that athletes ratted out coaches, which makes sense because it's not like coaches get tested or tracked.

Which implies that the doping was offered by the coaches to athletes, not athletes asking coaches to arrange them drugs.

I could be wrong and there could be deeper politics at play, but that is how I see it.

Is this the same Salazar that won Comrades moons ago?

Thats him. He's also created such a great thing in the Oregon Project, I love following their news and athletes. Its just sad, sad, sad.

I know its coming but I'm always so let down when athletes get bust. I know this has to have wide spanning repercussions for runners involved.

From the quote, it appears that athletes ratted out coaches, which makes sense because it's not like coaches get tested or tracked.

Which implies that the doping was offered by the coaches to athletes, not athletes asking coaches to arrange them drugs.

I could be wrong and there could be deeper politics at play, but that is how I see it.

Thanks, I read it the you felt it was disgusting the athletes were snitching. Which from the above doesn't seem to be the case.

It seems that most often it is coach assisted or encouraged. Although athletes that are prepared to go that way will gravitate to certain coaches/managers/teams. It's often common knowledge when you are at that level, as to who to go to get the good stuff. 

You didn't need to be at an elite level to know that Salazar may have been able to assist your performance though. 

None of Salazars athletes publicly tested positive, showing the sophistication of the program. So the only way it was going to become public, was by those people in the program that are honest speaking out.