ScottCM

Hard luck... .the jump from 21km to a marathon is massive. Always try do some incremental distances between beforehand to get your body and mind prepared...

OMTOM qualifying closes 9 March unless I am mistaken, so West Coast would be too late unless I have the wrong info. 

Thanks.  I really ran the Peninsula on very short notice, without the proper training and long runs. I pretty much had 2 weeks of approximately 50km a week, with my longest run being just over 20km.  Sort of did it to help a friend who was using it as a training run for Oceans.  

I see the West coast marathon webpage says it's still accepted as a qualifier, but the Oceans webpage agrees with you.

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also did Peninsula yesterday. It was touch and go after having not run since 3 days before Red Hill marathon due to severe Gastric flu and then nasal congestion and 'real' flu in the week leading up.

Managed a deliberately slow, 6min/km 4:13 to qualify for Oceans and get the ball rolling again properly after a month of Illness and bad luck.

As Andrew says, you need to do some runs over 30km in the build up if you're not used to the distance.

The jump from 42 to 56 is even bigger if you're not used to it. My advice would be to do 2 more marathons this year, then Red Hill or Peninsula 2021 and crack Oceans in 2021.

If you're struggling for a sub 5 now, the 5 weeks you have left between now and then probably isn't enough to get you home comfortably.

Thank you, that sounds like very sensible advice. I guess I'm still hyped up a bit after yesterday.  :blush:   I'll do the half in stead, and work on getting those long runs in and my pace up a bit and make a proper crack of it next year.

Thank you, that sounds like very sensible advice. I guess I'm still hyped up a bit after yesterday.  :blush:   I'll do the half in stead, and work on getting those long runs in and my pace up a bit and make a proper crack of it next year.

It's also an enjoyment factor.

Spending the last 15km of Oceans dying and then not getting home on time just ruins the entire experience.

Do the groundwork properly and you will go into the race less nervous, enjoy it a whole lot more and go home with a big tick feeling rad as opposed to failure, dejection and negativity towards a fantastic day.

Good luck!

Thanks. I really ran the Peninsula on very short notice, without the proper training and long runs. I pretty much had 2 weeks of approximately 50km a week, with my longest run being just over 20km. Sort of did it to help a friend who was using it as a training run for Oceans.

I see the West coast marathon webpage says it's still accepted as a qualifier, but the Oceans webpage agrees with you.

Apparently the organisers of TOM have agreed to accept West Coast as a qualifier subject to prompt updating of your profile. This is as per the Cape Town Runners Community on Facebook.

I was wondering why I had not seen any pmb marathon activities in my strava feed so I googled it. I see it has changed names and changed route. I don't know what sadist decided on that route but it's one tough looking marathon now. Good luck to anyone doing it next week. Nice little pull up Ritchie road at km 41!

I did my first marathon yesterday - Peninsula.  Finished in 5:04, bonked in the last 2km to miss a sub 5 for Oceans.  Now I'm trying to decide if I should do West coast a week after my first CT cycle tour, to try again.

42km is soooo much further than 21km!  :eek:

Eish, sorry to hear, but very well done for finishing. :) 

My partner and I also did the Peninsula yesterday, trying to qualify for the Comrades. Was my first marathon too.

I just-just managed to get there in time for Comrades qualifying, needed 4:50, made it in 4:47.

From Fish hoek to Simonstown was brutal. :mellow:  :nuke: 

Sadly my partner didn't qualify, we are also doing the West Coast marathon to get her there.

Edited by Eddie_V

Eish, sorry to hear, but very well done for finishing. :) 

My partner and I also did the Peninsula yesterday, trying to qualify for the Comrades. Was my first marathon too.

I just-just managed to get there in time for Comrades qualifying, needed 4:50, made it in 4:47.

From Fish hoek to Simonstown was brutal. :mellow:  :nuke: 

Sadly my partner didn't qualify, we are also doing the West Coast marathon to get her there.

Well done and congratulations!! Ja, I was hoping that when you start seeing Simonstown it would get better, but it was not the case.  Even seeing those buses at the top near the sportsfield seemed to be incredibly far away. 

I had a brilliant Pirates 21km run today. With 5km to go I realised I could possibly go sub 1h40 but missed it with 6 seconds.

Best run I have ever had. Legs just wanted to Go the entire way.

Lekker????

Now.... memorise everything you did, ate and drank the week up to Sunday...

Thought I’d tell you my running story so far.

ive never done any endurance sport before.

Been riding since last year January and threw in some running as cross training,couple of kms here and there.

By June I was comfortably doing 5km,then end of July I went in for my 2nd cardiac ablation which stopped my running for about 8weeks.

Slowly build up my running and by December could run 10kms comfortably.

I mentioned to my wife at Christmas that I’d like to do a half marathon in 2020, 2nd of January my with says why not enter the Bay Ultra half on the 1st February,so I did

Longest training run was 15kms.

Race day felt good,started pacing behind a couple doing about 5-45, running into a slight sea breeze,at the turn still felt good.

But as I turned no more breeze and the sweat poured struggled to get a gel down and breathe at the same time,took about 1km to get my breathing under control.

At the 15km mark the struggle became real,by 18km my feet,legs,lungs and heart were all telling me to walk for a while but head wouldn’t let me(stubborn) it was the longest 3kms of my life in utter pain.

Crossed the line in 2h01m22 sec,the pain was replaced with utter elation,it was a bucket list moment. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience.

That was my first race but looking forward to my next,hopefully not as undercooked

Sad Eliud didn't win Laureus sportsman of the year....

Running sadly not a glam sport... in terms of pedigree he's probably on par with Messi, but Messi didn't do anything earth shattering last year... and Hamilton, give me a break, give the award to the car, we all know that is pretty much how it works.

Meh

I was wondering why I had not seen any pmb marathon activities in my strava feed so I googled it. I see it has changed names and changed route. I don't know what sadist decided on that route but it's one tough looking marathon now. Good luck to anyone doing it next week. Nice little pull up Ritchie road at km 41!

Haha yeah that route doesn't look like the nicest Sunday run, but you get a good tour of Pmb. I'll have beers on km 16 for those of you that need carbs

On the bright side I am happy that Egan Bernal won the breakthrough of the year reward.

And Simone Biles, even though I really like Rapinoe

Sad Eliud didn't win Laureus sportsman of the year....

Surely he was more deserving of sportsman of the year in 2018 when he set the world record.