ScottCM

On 4/24/2024 at 5:40 PM, b-rad said:

Enjoyed it 🙂 started with a lekker park run on Saturday at Clapham Common. Not too many marathon runners there amongst the 1200 participants it seems. Okes take it seriously 😬
I have now done all the majors except for Tokyo and would say London had the best crowds by a long way. Everyone seemed to be out supporting so it was brilliant. 
more than 53000 runners so it’s a massive logistical task but everything ran smoothly from expo, to start area, to finish area. 

Could feel the legs from Oceans a bit but felt pretty comfy and didn’t go flat out. Left a little gas in the tank rather than go for any kind of PB. Comrades still to come.

Did you enter via the ballot?

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, ScottCM said:

Did you enter via the ballot?

Went through a travel company. Who also had a ballot type system because of demand 😅

Tried the ballot for 6 years and no luck. And just a couple minutes too slow for the championship entry. 

Organisers of the Wally will have some explaining to do. 

Seems the lead car for the 21/42k start Batch A got confused and took the front of the field on a 3km detour at the start... 

No biggie for me, I just stopped my watch at 21.1kms and walked it in. 

Keen to hear how they resolve winners medals and qualification times with such a cock-up. 

1 hour ago, Vetplant said:

Organisers of the Wally will have some explaining to do. 

Seems the lead car for the 21/42k start Batch A got confused and took the front of the field on a 3km detour at the start... 

No biggie for me, I just stopped my watch at 21.1kms and walked it in. 

Keen to hear how they resolve winners medals and qualification times with such a cock-up. 

That is a kerkbazaar level mistake. No excuses

2 hours ago, Shebeen said:

That is a kerkbazaar level mistake. No excuses

According to the TheRunningMan he spoke to the Race Director and they take full responsibility. They are working on a resolution for all. Going to be tricky. 

On 4/30/2024 at 11:27 AM, ScottCM said:

Comrades = 40days = min dae. How is everyone's training going?

Best of luck to anyone still needing to qualify at Wally tomorrow or this weekend? 

Getting nervous I haven't done enough. 

I think that's standard though. 

Did my "long run" yesterday, but had a stiff back all week after some fence building over the weekend. Never felt good, so jumped into the car at 36km. Happy with that decision. 

16 hours ago, Vetplant said:

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/3aqr6KpgVgUXKRAF/?mibextid=oFDknk

Wally organisers officially respond. 

I think it was more than 500 runners that were affected TBH. 

Screenshot_2024-05-01-15-59-51-663_com.facebook.katana-edit.jpg

Briefing volunteers correctly is crucial. I'm not sure how they work the clock car navigation but seems like a human error with no redundancy.

Bit of melodrama in the comments.  If this is your last chance of qualifying/ seeding for comrades then you left it to late. 

11 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Briefing volunteers correctly is crucial. I'm not sure how they work the clock car navigation but seems like a human error with no redundancy.

Bit of melodrama in the comments.  If this is your last chance of qualifying/ seeding for comrades then you left it to late. 

Yep, it is weird that the car took a turn at a junction where he was supposed to go straight. What prompted him to turn? I can't remember seeing marshals there, but I might be mistaken.

The route didn't change from last year, so that can't be used as an excuse.

I can't comment on whether the people who failed to qualify are being over-dramatic as I am not in their shoes. But it is a registered qualifier with an impeccable history, so don't I think it was irresponsible to trust and plan around using this event as a qualifier. 

I think the least the Race Director can do is to look at the last time-split recorded at 36.2km and compare it to your finish time, and then do a pro-rata adjustment to give the Marathon runners an 'adjusted' finish time. Any adjustment outside of that will be difficult to justify, IMHO.

Me personally, I would prefer if you could submit your FIT file and they align your official race time with the point when you completed the anticipated race distance. But doing this for all affected runners seems unfeasible in terms of resources and not everyone will be running with a GPS watch.

Let's see what they come up with.

On 4/30/2024 at 11:27 AM, ScottCM said:

Comrades = 40days = min dae. How is everyone's training going?

Best of luck to anyone still needing to qualify at Wally tomorrow or this weekend? 

2 big weekends coming up, loosening up on Saturday with a light HM. Hoping to run 60-70 on Sunday. Then a back to back marathon the following weekend. All should be chilled pace and just getting in the time. I had a few bad days recently but I'm just gonna let it slide. Only a few more weeks of this nonsense and then I can compare war stories LOL 🙂

1 hour ago, Vetplant said:

I can't comment on whether the people who failed to qualify are being over-dramatic as I am not in their shoes. But it is a registered qualifier with an impeccable history, so don't I think it was irresponsible to trust and plan around using this event as a qualifier. 

I can see this is an legitimate excuse for someone who has just picked up a subs entry on a whim, but if you're in A batch you probably did sub 4:50 anyway with the longer detour added in.

I'm sure there could be some sort of adjustment made for the seeding/qualification. A mistaken 45km route is a much better boat to be in than 38km.

4 hours ago, Vetplant said:

Yep, it is weird that the car took a turn at a junction where he was supposed to go straight. What prompted him to turn? I can't remember seeing marshals there, but I might be mistaken.

The route didn't change from last year, so that can't be used as an excuse.

I think the least the Race Director can do is to look at the last time-split recorded at 36.2km and compare it to your finish time, and then do a pro-rata adjustment to give the Marathon runners an 'adjusted' finish time. Any adjustment outside of that will be difficult to justify, IMHO.

Me personally, I would prefer if you could submit your FIT file and they align your official race time with the point when you completed the anticipated race distance. But doing this for all affected runners seems unfeasible in terms of resources and not everyone will be running with a GPS watch.

Let's see what they come up with.

Race results now have an additional column, "Adjusted time for 42.2km"

Not Official yet, but let's see if it sticks.

https://results.finishtime.co.za/results.aspx?CId=35&RId=4550

image.png.9f856a80cc2b41718c21520d0ec7b1aa.png

Hi everyone,

I’m starting this thing called running. I don't enjoy it but trying to convince my body that I actually do. 

I'm running the Dornier Autumn Trail Run 10km this weekend.

has anyone done it before and would you mind sharing the GPX file?