ScottCM

New 21km world record... first four all broke previous record. I find it incredibly hard to believe that 4 athletes all ran faster times than any athlete before today. Lockdown “training” must have been good

post-42568-0-13134900-1607248951_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jepchirchir - after crushing every 21 record this year she smokes a 2:17 marathon, and I'm sure I read it's only her second ever marathon distance race.

New 21km world record... first four all broke previous record. I find it incredibly hard to believe that 4 athletes all ran faster times than any athlete before today. Lockdown “training” must have been good

It was always going to be fast because of the competition, the route and the climate. And the weather today was optimal... But if didn't think this fast. Was discussing it this morning on my run and I said it will definitely be close to world record pace and the top 5 will be under 59.... Never in a million years did I think the top 4 would all be under 58!

It was always going to be fast because of the competition, the route and the climate. And the weather today was optimal... But if didn't think this fast. Was discussing it this morning on my run and I said it will definitely be close to world record pace and the top 5 will be under 59.... Never in a million years did I think the top 4 would all be under 58!

I see Kandie, Kipruto & Mutiso (1,3,4) all wore prototype Adidas Adizero Adios Pros; Kiplimo looks like Nike's from the photos. Adidas seems to be the new Vaporflys.

Interesting analysis on the unreal performances in this race:

https://www.letsrun.com/news/2020/12/utter-insanity-kibiwott-kandie-runs-5732-as-the-top-4-finishers-break-the-world-record-in-the-valencia-half-marathon/

Hey all,

Quick question. Anyone suffered from prolapsed disks (multiple) and successfully returned to running?

I have stopped running for the last 18 months after several disks in my lower back decided to give up on life. Neurosurgeon is very much against running in my circumstance, but I miss it a lot. Even if I have the ability to just run 5km max distance for the rest of my life I will be grateful.

Is there still hope?

Hey all,

Quick question. Anyone suffered from prolapsed disks (multiple) and successfully returned to running?

I have stopped running for the last 18 months after several disks in my lower back decided to give up on life. Neurosurgeon is very much against running in my circumstance, but I miss it a lot. Even if I have the ability to just run 5km max distance for the rest of my life I will be grateful.

Is there still hope?

Hi JuddMan,

Ive been diagnbosed with Spondilotithesis and Spondilosis about 12 years ago, and i was able to run and train like normal ( hard headed. not listening to Doc's advice). That was up until 2 years ago when i started getting serious backpain,and the last 5 months my leg started going numb with pain, together with this pins and needles feeling.

So i went for a scan last week and it shows that i have fractures in the Pars Interarticularis, loss of lumbar support, Lumber lerdosis and loss of disk space. I have been told, that i can never run again. It was a huuge shock, but at the end, your health is more important than a road or trail run. 

I'm goign to start swimming and just keep on playing golf ( I walk my 18 holes). I learned the hard way that running isnt everything, especially if you have a young children and you still wanna do stuff with them. 

*Just my 2c worth...

Edited by Lexx

I cannot imagine how hard it must be to have to make those kind of decisions.

Like Lexx mentions, luckily there are other options.

@Lexx, nice pictures from your 18 holes yesterday ‍♀ Looks a bit like leopard creek??

I cannot imagine how hard it must be to have to make those kind of decisions.

Like Lexx mentions, luckily there are other options.

@Lexx, nice pictures from your 18 holes yesterday ‍♀ Looks a bit like leopard creek??

Thanks @swissvan . Our 9 hole golf course is one of the top 5, 9 hole courses in SA. Right next to the Kruger park. It does resemble a bit of Leopard Creek. 

Hi JuddMan,

Ive been diagnbosed with Spondilotithesis and Spondilosis about 12 years ago, and i was able to run and train like normal ( hard headed. not listening to Doc's advice). That was up until 2 years ago when i started getting serious backpain,and the last 5 months my leg started going numb with pain, together with this pins and needles feeling.

So i went for a scan last week and it shows that i have fractures in the Pars Interarticularis, loss of lumbar support, Lumber lerdosis and loss of disk space. I have been told, that i can never run again. It was a huuge shock, but at the end, your health is more important than a road or trail run.

I'm goign to start swimming and just keep on playing golf ( I walk my 18 holes). I learned the hard way that running isnt everything, especially if you have a young children and you still wanna do stuff with them.

*Just my 2c worth...

Didn't realise this. That really sucks... But.. Like you say, it's not everything

Didn't realise this. That really sucks... But.. Like you say, it's not everything

It got so bad that i strruggle to get out of bed in the morning because of my lower back pain. I Even bought a new bed thinking that the Mattress is old. So my wife actually dragged me to the doctor. Moral of the story, always listen to your wife 

Thanks @swissvan . Our 9 hole golf course is one of the top 5, 9 hole courses in SA. Right next to the Kruger park. It does resemble a bit of Leopard Creek.

Which course is that, is it open for visitors...and do you get any of the big5 strolling through?

Which course is that, is it open for visitors...and do you get any of the big5 strolling through?

Kambaku Golf Club. Yip, open for visitors. I once saw elephants on the course.

Lexx, man... I don't know what to say. 

But ja, you are taking the positive and sensible approach - well done on that! Running, cycling, whatever... it's just a hobby. It does not define us.

I had to stop playing squash due to injury and.. ja, at the time I thought my world as I knew it ended. 3 months later my wife told me that I MUST now start doing something! And a friend introduced me to cycling... (At the time I thought he was mad.)

Your health is what counts. Being with your family is what counts. They are the ones who will make you smile and support you.

Lexx good on you for staying active.

Once the doctors gets on top of your treatment, consider seeing a biokeneticist. They REALLY helped me ! Off course, options differ per individual ....

Really hope your new normal allows you some mildly pain free exercise