ScottCM

Hi hubbers, I have my eye on a running vest/pack from Inov-8 but need some help.

I'm looking at the Inov-8 Ultra Pro 2in1 vest and was wondering if anyone has some experience with it? I've watched all of the videos and read all of the reviews but none of them really go into detail of the "main pack". All of them focus on the extendable pocket.

Is the "main pack" without the extended pocket a usable vest? Is the back only a mesh or is it also a usable pocket. I know it's small but will I be able to carry a rain jacket and some other small pieces of kit with me?

TIA!

Haha no jokes I was just looking that thing up the other day. 

I got chatting to someone last weekend about wanting a smaller vest for short runs where I just need water and some chow and whatnot, and he suggested that 2 in 1. So for the big boy races you strap on the back and then its a full-on vest, and for longer chilled runs you remove it and just use it as a lightweight vest.

I haven't seen it in real life yet, so I'm not keen on saying anything definitive, but I'm pretty certain the back (mesh) bottom pocket is enough space to stick a jacket and something small.

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking at vests last year and was also really keen on the Inov-8.

I tried one on at Trailbusters (PE), and didn't like the feel of it. The videos and reviews seemed awesome, but it just wasn't me.

Then I tried the Ultimate Direction Mountain Vest (4.0 I think), and it felt right, and seemed more user-friendly.

In the end, I didn't buy either as I was gifted with a Salomon vest, from one of the members here, and I haven't looked back. What an awesome piece of kit! I still discover new pockets and ways to use it. And you can fit so much in! Or just a water bottle and a snack.

It is an XL, and I have a small frame, but even almost empty I find it comfortable to wear.

Mountain Vest on special: https://www.runstore.co.za/ultimate-direction-mountain-vest-4-0/
Size small only though.

Haha no jokes I was just looking that thing up the other day. 

I got chatting to someone last weekend about wanting a smaller vest for short runs where I just need water and some chow and whatnot, and he suggested that 2 in 1. So for the big boy races you strap on the back and then its a full-on vest, and for longer chilled runs you remove it and just use it as a lightweight vest.

I haven't seen it in real life yet, so I'm not keen on saying anything definitive, but I'm pretty certain the back (mesh) bottom pocket is enough space to stick a jacket and something small.

Thanks, I've had my eye on the UD vests and I just can't get myself to like the blue (I know, stupid reason). I also like the Halo vest but I've read too many reviews stating that the lightweight, race specific design isn't up to standard with the other UD products...

I'm currently trying to torn between the Salomon adv skin 12 and the Inov-8. Both seem great but I'm currently leaning towards the Inov-8 because of the large detachable pocket

I have the UD mountain vest 4, and to be honest I don't really like it. I find it less usable-friendly than my ancient old Salomon one. I had my eyes on a new Salomon ADV skin 12, but I don't reeeeally need it...

Also I've just been running with a soft flask in my hand and it's not as inconvenient as it sounds. So I'll prob shelf the slimmer pack plan as a burst of online buying blood to the head.

I love my Salomon vests, except for the zips that myself and a number of buddies found to get stuck if you don't use them often enough. Those I use regularly still works. Those I hardly ever use, now will not open.

But, that is after several years of abuse. And yes, when I stumbled over a special, I bought a smaller spec Salmon vest again. 

Some of my running mates went UD, they are happy and quite a few went Anoji (sp?) and they are also happy. And yeah, that detachable pocket does sound quite interesting! 

All the best with the decision!

I have the UD mountain vest 4, and to be honest I don't really like it. I find it less usable-friendly than my ancient old Salomon one. I had my eyes on a new Salomon ADV skin 12, but I don't reeeeally need it...

Also I've just been running with a soft flask in my hand and it's not as inconvenient as it sounds. So I'll prob shelf the slimmer pack plan as a burst of online buying blood to the head.

I have a 500ml soft flask with a built in strap I run with.

One thing I did was modify a few pairs of shorts using some Lycra. I stitched in a Stretchy pocket on the waist band over the small of my back which then snugly fits a 500ml soft flask.

So if the weather is banging I can carry 1L of water (the above 2 combined) or 500ml really easily on runs without having to resort to a pack.

I am a sweater, so packs tend to intensify the sweat and then in turn get uncomfortable.

There are some awesome 'non pack' options

Question - What would you expect the lifespan to be of the Nike ZoomFly Flyknits?

My mrs runs in these and she is currently sitting on 450km.

When would be a good time to replace?

post-18409-0-14384700-1610571054_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Wayne Potgieter

Question - What would you expect the lifespan to be of the Nike ZoomFly Flyknits?

How does the shoe look? Has the sole been scraped / worn away anywhere? Is it coming apart at the toe? Is the foam collapsing? Is she a 'light' runner and they look brand new still?

I'm sure they could easily do double the distance if they still feel in good shape.

(Sorry, general view, I don't know these shoes specifically)

How does the shoe look? Has the sole been scraped / worn away anywhere? Is it coming apart at the toe? Is the foam collapsing? Is she a 'light' runner and they look brand new still?

I'm sure they could easily do double the distance if they still feel in good shape.

(Sorry, general view, I don't know these shoes specifically)

Hey Chris.

Fair questions. The shoes actually look ok, but some of the forums online talk about the Carbon insert having a short life. One article referred to 300 miles.

I cannot find any further information other than that.

Hey Chris.

Fair questions. The shoes actually look ok, but some of the forums online talk about the Carbon insert having a short life. One article referred to 300 miles.

I cannot find any further information other than that.

Interesting, what happens to the insert? Does it become pliable - in which case I suppose you just have a 'normal old' type shoe again. Or does it become brittle - then I'd be worried about it snapping

Interesting, what happens to the insert? Does it become pliable - in which case I suppose you just have a 'normal old' type shoe again. Or does it become brittle - then I'd be worried about it snapping

Again, this is according to 1 review, but the plate becomes pliable. But logically (and this is my own scary and uneducated opinion) but I have rarely seen carbo fibre become soft and pliable it normally becomes brittle and breaks down.

So not sure what to think to be honest. I do think that 600km is probably a fair average?

Again, this is according to 1 review, but the plate becomes pliable. But logically (and this is my own scary and uneducated opinion) but I have rarely seen carbo fibre become soft and pliable it normally becomes brittle and breaks down.

So not sure what to think to be honest. I do think that 600km is probably a fair average?

Probably is. Ja tough one.

The carbon fibre I'm picturing is the one on cars and bikes and that certainly won't bend when it's old, I'm hoping the shoe one is a more resin'y type so it won't splinter. Dunno, guessing now...

300 miles is a pretty poor effort if that is true though. I struggle to see how that's a sustainable model for the average user.

Edit: actually, maybe not. Vaporflys only have a couple of marathons in them, alphafly I have no idea but probably similar, and there's no shortage of the former around. I suppose someone who can't afford to replace their carbon plated shoes often just doesn't buy them, and they still have a massive selection of 'hardier' shoes available. So ja, maybe it does make sense.

Edited by Chris_

I have had 2 pairs of Flyknits and got around 700km on them