ScottCM

"Karl Meltzer, a professional ultrarunner, has completed the Appalachian Trail in record time at the age of 48. What might take the average hiker up to 6 months to complete, Meltzer completed in 45 days, 22 hours, and 38 minutes. Here is how he did it."

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My numbers from OMTOM half:

I'm 1.75m

Avg pace: 5:22/km = 11,2 km/h speed

Max speed: 14,3 km/h

Avg heart rate: 156bpm

Avg: 173spm

Max: 215spm

Stride length: 1.08m

Avg vertical ratio: 7.2%

Avg vertical oscillation: 7.8cm

Balance: 50.6%L/49.4%R

Ground contact time: 276ms

P.S. Just entered Cape Town Marathon in the hope of taming the effort that nearly killed running for me last year!

Edited by Tubehunter

My OMTOM 56km stats:

I'm 1.56 (I know I am a shorty...)

Avg Pace: 6:44 / km

Avg Cadence: 167 spm

Max: 186 spm

Avg Stride Length: 0.88m

Calories: 3180

I'm 1.75m

Avg pace: 5:22/km = 11,2 km/h speed

Avg: 173spm

Max: 215spm

Stride length: 1.08m

now this is interesting....5.07/km vs 5.22/km..stride length there and there about the same as mine...but your cadence is quite a bit higher..you think that is the purely the 15 seconds per km ?

"Karl Meltzer, a professional ultrarunner, has completed the Appalachian Trail in record time at the age of 48. What might take the average hiker up to 6 months to complete, Meltzer completed in 45 days, 22 hours, and 38 minutes. Here is how he did it."

MASSIVE bucket list...but the hiking..not the running...in fact I want to do all three:

AP

PCT

CDT

and thus complete the Triple Crown

That running time is incredible though...will watch that later

MASSIVE bucket list...but the hiking..not the running...in fact I want to do all three:

AP

PCT

CDT

and thus complete the Triple Crown

That running time is incredible though...will watch that later

Absolutely! any part of those 3 would be awesome.

Add to the growing serious-cash-and-leave-needed bucket list

now this is interesting....5.07/km vs 5.22/km..stride length there and there about the same as mine...but your cadence is quite a bit higher..you think that is the purely the 15 seconds per km ?

Must be those extra 18cms you take with each stride! Those long legs must be the cause... Those 18cms add up quickly when you combine the reps together!

Edited by Tubehunter

150 days to CT Marathon.

Figure I will spend the next 60 focused on short distance speedwork and then the following 90 getting the right distance training in for the full event. What say you ultra\regular marathon campaigners?

Edited by Tubehunter

Haha, if it was not for this, I'd not have even checked, but my cadence on Oceans was just a bit lower than my usual runs. But not much.

I suspect it was due to having to change my strike after less than 10k's. I had some massive pain in the middle of my left forefoot after about 2 k's and trying all things, it got better and then worse so I decided stuff it and "roll" my foot in from the rear, 100% opposite to what I am used to. (Except on long descends, where I do vary things a bit.) So not completely unused to it, but was worried about some additional aches.

It may also simply have been running at an even more relaxed pace than usual! 

I'm 1.73m. Cadence usually 90 and over, Oceans was 87. Per foot, obviously, so x2 for direct comparison. Max on Oceans was 108. (I suspect that was when I saw a spectator holding a beer...) No stride length indication on my tools. 

So my weekend training plan for the next three weeks:

Loskop 21km this coming weekend, and a slow jog on Sunday of about 15km.

Cradle 21km on the 27th of April and then the RAC Long Run 60 km on the 30th of April.

Jackie Meckler 25km on the 6th of May. 

What is your training program looking like in May? When is the serious tapering starting, seeing that Comrades is a week later?

Edited by Hacc

What is your training program looking like in May? When is the serious tapering starting, seeing that Comrades is a week later?

I am away next week..so i will be happy to do 80 if I can..then it will hopefully be:

90 (with a 40 on the weekend)

5 with the Big C on the Sunday