ScottCM

Got my second ultra out the way (first being Om Die Dam) on Saturday with an awesome run along the Karkloof road for 56km, seconded by friends every 10 kays. Maybe it was the oxygen, the scenery or the much easier pace… or even the fact that my wife and I were running to our own rhythm unaffected by any other runners around us… but it was fantastic. One of the most pleasant runs I've done this year. The route was heavily undulating, giving us a quality 1000m of vertical gain and the roads were quiet (aside from the odd farmer doing 160 in a loud-as-hell Isuzu). After how tough I found Om Die Dam, this gave me a lot more encouragement for Comrades as I felt like I could still keep going when I finished, although another 31km didn't really appeal. Bonus was sitting in the swimming pool back in Hilton, which made a perfect ice bath afterwards. Just the RAC 60km left and then that's my ultra distance runs done for Comrades. Getting butterflies every time I think of 4 June now.

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my second ultra out the way (first being Om Die Dam) on Saturday with an awesome run along the Karkloof road for 56km, seconded by friends every 10 kays. Maybe it was the oxygen, the scenery or the much easier pace… or even the fact that my wife and I were running to our own rhythm unaffected by any other runners around us… but it was fantastic. One of the most pleasant runs I've done this year. The route was heavily undulating, giving us a quality 1000m of vertical gain and the roads were quiet (aside from the odd farmer doing 160 in a loud-as-hell Isuzu). After how tough I found Om Die Dam, this gave me a lot more encouragement for Comrades as I felt like I could still keep going when I finished, although another 31km didn't really appeal. Bonus was sitting in the swimming pool back in Hilton, which made a perfect ice bath afterwards. Just the RAC 60km left and then that's my ultra distance runs done for Comrades. Getting butterflies every time I think of 4 June now.

awesome run. how far along the karkloof road did you run and where did you start. The real beauty of that road really starts from the karkloof club to Mbona - which is about a 40km round trip if I am not mistaken.

Think I might consider that for my final long training run actually

This sounds brilliant. I was just reading about the Karkloof 100 miler the other day. I would really like to do the 50 some time.

100 mile trail run is also on the bucket list, its just a ridiculous distance.

awesome run. how far along the karkloof road did you run and where did you start. The real beauty of that road really starts from the karkloof club to Mbona - which is about a 40km round trip if I am not mistaken.

Think I might consider that for my final long training run actually

I actually started in Hilton, headed out along Cedara, through Howick and then up to the club, which was at exactly 28km. Now you've got me thinking that maybe I should come back down here in two weeks to do a 60+ km out to Mbona. I stayed there once when I was younger and I remember it being a beautiful spot. It's easy to forget you're running in a place like this.

EDIT: If we do decide to come back down I'll let you know and I can call on the friends and family to do their seconding duties again. I think you'll likely be a bit faster than us based on your times that I've seen but I'm sure people won't mind waiting a few minutes until we're all through the seconding points.

Edited by Radman

What is your training program looking like in May? When is the serious tapering starting, seeing that Comrades is a week later?

I'm doing Robor 50 this weekend,

Possibly the Cradle 32 on the Thursday holiday, but I'll see how I'm feeling,

Wally Hayward 42 on the 1st,

and then I'm off to the Mapangubwe 3 day trail run the following week, which should be a really great change of scenery,

and that leave 2 weeks till the big day! This is more running than I've done in.. forever, so I'll be tapering hard from then

I read posts like this, and they really inspire me to keep running. Can't wait until I get the KMs under my legs to get to this point. I am only now starting to enjoy some of my runs, so hopefully the speed and distance can start piling up already! 

I read posts like this, and they really inspire me to keep running. Can't wait until I get the KMs under my legs to get to this point. I am only now starting to enjoy some of my runs, so hopefully the speed and distance can start piling up already! 

Cheers, it's a fascinating progression. I remember when I was so stoked to have run the Nike 10km, it seemed like a massive distance. But one keeps adding incrementally over time and then distances that you once would have seen as nightmarish become these dream runs where you just lose yourself for hours to the cathartic rhythm of your lungs and your footsteps and your surroundings.

This sounds brilliant. I was just reading about the Karkloof 100 miler the other day. I would really like to do the 50 some time.

100 mile trail run is also on the bucket list, its just a ridiculous distance.

Yeah, that 50 sounds awesome. I've got a vague fantasy of a 100 miler at some stage of my life but I'm in no rush to get there. I think I'm definitely going to switch to trails for a while after Comrades.

I actually started in Hilton, headed out along Cedara, through Howick and then up to the club, which was at exactly 28km. Now you've got me thinking that maybe I should come back down here in two weeks to do a 60+ km out to Mbona. I stayed there once when I was younger and I remember it being a beautiful spot. It's easy to forget you're running in a place like this.

EDIT: If we do decide to come back down I'll let you know and I can call on the friends and family to do their seconding duties again. I think you'll likely be a bit faster than us based on your times that I've seen but I'm sure people won't mind waiting a few minutes until we're all through the seconding points.

be more than happy to join you if you do..and it is right when i want to do my last long run.

LSD runs are meant to be slow - so no stress about pace

Doing the Loskop this Saturday,plus a extra 10km to get a 60km long run in. Sunday a slow and easy 10-15km . Next weekend maybe another 32km then tapering from May.Finally.

The last week i've been working 12h a day, and getting a long run in was a bit of a struggle. But atleast I got to do a 105km week again. Legs are starting to feel a bit tired now. May needs to come so that the tapering can start.

I'm doing Colgate 32km, Cradle 32km and then probably half of the RAC long run (it luckily goes right past my house in Northcliff)... the rest will be short stuff, maybe with a bit of speed/hill work in between. Also want to focus a lot on my Bio work and work on my muscle weaknesses to try maximize how far my legs can go... 40 odd days to go  :thumbup:

After a 150km week last week including Easter 100.

Monday: easy 5km 

Tuesday: easy 15km

Wednesday: 25km Hills race pace morning. 8km Tempo evening

Thursday: 9km Tempo morning. 8km Tempo evening

Friday: rest

Saturday: Route Tester 60km easy. (Entered Loskop, but this seems a better idea as I haven't run on the                            course.)

Sunday: 20km Easy from Hilton the Hiton College and back. 

Next week will be similar midweek, with the cradle race and probably Wally on the weekend.

If the body gets through this 2/3 week period I will be a lot more confident.  

Saturday: Route Tester 60km easy. (Entered Loskop, but this seems a better idea as I haven't run on the                            course.)

Next week will be similar midweek, with the cradle race and probably Wally on the weekend.

*BEAST MODE*

Don't know how you do it, but awesome stuff... keep it up  :thumbup:

i drove past a car last week which had one of those "Stay wider of the Rider" stickers but on the one side it had a cyclist and the other a runner, anyone know where i can get one of these?

goeie dinges that is crazy km's.  I like how you call any of these "easy".

Great inspiration and good luck on the next couple of weeks.  if I may ask, what is your "easy" pace?

Saturday: Route Tester 60km easy. (Entered Loskop, but this seems a better idea as I haven't run on the course.)

Just watch out for injury.....