ScottCM

Exactly what I was thinking... I do realise people have different goals than mine, but that is a LOT of mileage.

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lexx, how was Loskop? The 21km started late and my training buddy had to fix a puncture before we went riding. I enjoyed being on my bike. It seems like perfect Loskop weather.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I was wondering where you were with your bike lol. Was looking forward to an ice cold beer before that sh@t last hill.

My race was ok. My plan was to just keep it slow and easy as it was a training run. But when the gun went off, so did my plan. I was feeling pretty good, and was hoping to do a Sub 4 hour, but that last loooong hill broke me and did a 4:10 in the end. And it was as cold as my mother-in-laws heart. But overall one of the best races in za. Love the waterpoints and support along the route.

Awesome time, congratulations Lexx!! I had serious FOMO yesterday doing the 21km and not the 50km. The water points were brilliant on the 21km. I haven't seen so much food before on a 21km. Pancakes, boere wors, bananas, sweets, oranges and potatoes. I love this race, will be back next year for the 50km. Hopefully not the weekend after OMTOM again next year.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Anybody watching the closing stages of the Munga? Coming down to a close finish between Nicky Booyens, the Dutch runner Carstens Nielsen and Tatum Prins. Two women in the top three at the moment.

I wish their Twitter feed was a bit more active, they're frustratingly quiet. Does anyone know if the runner can ditch their pack at the final checkpoint? Or at least jettison the non-compulsory items there?

EDIT: And suddenly the GPS tracker updates and Bennie Roux is actually leading with Nicky Booyens. Tatum Prins in third spot.

Edited by Radman

Exactly what I was thinking... I do realise people have different goals than mine, but that is a LOT of mileage.

Easy Pace is 5:15 -5:30

Tempo is 4:00 - 4:30

It is a fair amount but these were my peak mileage weeks. From this week I start bringing it back down to 120-130km and then 100km and so on. Will add some more intensity though. 

Always watching for injury, Pilates, stretching and massage make a huge difference. I also have fairly long history of endurance sport, even though it is not a pure running background. 

Here is Saturdays run on the route. 

post-7883-0-76127300-1493019724_thumb.png

Here is Saturdays run on the route. 

thats pretty impressive..whats your comrades goal? Ag?

i am up in Tanazania till Monday...flat hot and gravel...pretty tough going because you never rest and your legs are working much harder..gonna be an interesting week. Plan was 15 each morning...but..eish...i was knackered after my 15 this morning...will see how it goes tomorrow

thats pretty impressive..whats your comrades goal? Ag?

Goal is 7:29:59. ;)

But I'm realistic that given i only started running in Nov it is a lofty goal. Not sure how the body is going to react in the last 20km. With the first 30km being so tough, as a novice you cant know how your body will react.

Also race strategy is tough.

Do you go conservative for the first half and trust your body to be able to hold the pace. close to even splits. Go through halfway at 3:40

Or.

Or do try get some time in the bank and let yourself slow down and do positive splits. Go through halfway at 3:30?

On the plus side... The scenery is great

5f6e19680f1613554819ef9ea77298f6.jpg

eb132c26b27a1ddf2c01ada1819a10bb.jpg

And the locals are generally very friendly. Lovely country.

Sent from my SM-J200H using Tapatalk

i am up in Tanazania till Monday...flat hot and gravel...pretty tough going because you never rest and your legs are working much harder..gonna be an interesting week. Plan was 15 each morning...but..eish...i was knackered after my 15 this morning...will see how it goes tomorrow

You in Dar? Mate lives there and says it was really tough getting long runs in for Oceans. Gets so hot so early it is hard to put in the quality sessions.

Goal is 7:29:59. ;)

Also race strategy is tough.

Do you go conservative for the first half and trust your body to be able to hold the pace. close to even splits. Go through halfway at 3:40

Or.

Or do try get some time in the bank and let yourself slow down and do positive splits. Go through halfway at 3:30?

the best I can offer you is a link to this novice silver

this guy is an excellent pacer..always gets his runs spot on for a strong finish. hope you can view it. its a down run....but up/down  same difference. My only advice is be a little bit conservative on the first half...dont aim for positive splits..rather aim for even splits at the least

https://www.strava.com/activities/591812289

You in Dar? Mate lives there and says it was really tough getting long runs in for Oceans. Gets so hot so early it is hard to put in the quality sessions.

Moshi - went for an afternoon run on Saturday and almost died (although that was also after 20 hours of travel).