ScottCM

Anybody know anything about the Rocky Running Clubs Comrades Talks? Seen nothing about them this year and really want my wife to go... it's a great part of the build up. Usually Bruce Fordyce and Don Oliver giving some great insights, tips and history...

Only thing I can find at this stage is a Team Vitality event on 15 May with the two of them, but no other info. Any Team Vitality members know more? Is it open to the public... or even just Vitality members.

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott, to answer what I think your question is - I popped some Echinaforce daily for the last week and couple of weeks after Oceans. Just to aid in the resistance. 

Think I'll do so in future again. This was in addition to daily vit C which I take as par for the course.

Jeez Hacc. Solid week. Flying under the radar.

look who put in a sneaky big week!! Well done Haac - great solid week

attachicon.gifsneakyweek.JPG

Thanks, guys. It was tough, especially Sunday's RAC Long run. I felt like phoning Uber at 40kms... but somehow you get a second wind and the kilometers gets less and less. The route is pure torture...Almost 1000m of climbing.

I met one of my friends on the route and we motivated each other. Luckily the 60km was 1.5km short... I have never been so happy about a shorter route in my life. The finish is a letdown - I wanted a finish banner, a medal, pom-pom girls, balloons,  and champagne... 

(I know this is not an official race, but some sort of recognition would be great :whistling: )

Kudos to RAC for an excellent long run, water points were amazing, first time I had nik-naks while running. I will recommend this long run to anyone training for Comrades. It will teach you to HTFU... (No other way of describing it...)

I needed the RAC long run to prepare myself mentally for the 4th of June. My last long run is Saturday - Jackie Meckler 25km. The main focus now is to stay healthy and lots of sleep...

Cant wait for these next couple of weeks to go by. This will be my last hard week with a 40km long run on the weekend. Then its tapering time.

Im heading out to Durban on the 29th. Will be a Running/family holiday in one lol.

Just to celebrate of all your hard efforts guys and girls, I'll drag myself off for a surf! 

(Been struggling with a little sore throat effort and still believe in the power of a salt water cleanse so surfing instead of running till it's done) 

Has anyone done the Rhodes Run?

Please share advice regarding clothing,hydration and planning

Thanks

Has anyone done the Rhodes Run?

Please share advice regarding clothing,hydration and planning

Thanks

You got an entry? like hens teeth those

My business partner runs it every year. Can be very cold. He has had it snowing a few times he has run it. Long thermals, gloves and windproof and beanie. I'll get him to send me a photograph you can see how he is prepped

You got an entry? like hens teeth those

My business partner runs it every year. Can be very cold. He has had it snowing a few times he has run it. Long thermals, gloves and windproof and beanie. I'll get him to send me a photograph you can see how he is prepped

I have waited almost 5 years to get an entry.  Seen many of the photos.  I am worried about foot health and temperatures below the knee.  Socks and legging get wet in the snow and water crossings.  So far I plan to have compression socks and sleeves for below the knee and have knee length running tights. (so that I can get dry at the top of Mavis Bank.)

Are running poles worth the effort?

I have waited almost 5 years to get an entry. Seen many of the photos. I am worried about foot health and temperatures below the knee. Socks and legging get wet in the snow and water crossings. So far I plan to have compression socks and sleeves for below the knee and have knee length running tights. (so that I can get dry at the top of Mavis Bank.)

Are running poles worth the effort?

Running poles become a god send when you do long steep climbs, especially on tired legs. Make sure you can pack them in your hydration bag when not needed. Running with them is a schlep.

I'm not a fan of running poles...but thats just me...they certainly can be useful

I'm not a fan of running poles...but thats just me...they certainly can be useful

I find it almost impossible to sync hands with legs.  My leg cadence is much higher than what I can do with poles.  However, on up hills it does allow for some more power launches, and on the downhills a Pole has saved me from some face plants.

So how is everbody's training going? I'm not doing Comrades, but has not stopped my training completely. I'm still trying to do 30km+ during the week (but no weekend running till probably August).

I'm still a bit disappointed at how my Two Oceans went, but in hindsight it was to be expected. Long story short: About 3 years ago I was doing close to 3h30 marathons and the rest of my running was done at sub 5min/km. Except my weekly time-trial which was done faster - ~34min for 8km. Beginning of 2015 I injured my back which resulted in nerve damage in my left leg - severe enough that I couldn't do any heel raises. It took about 3 months before I could start running again, but with a bit of diffuculty. Since then all of training has been at one pace, 5:30min/km to 5:45min/km. No speed work, but lots of km's. But my OMTOM has proven that Long Slow Distances make Long Slow Runners (Norrie Williamson quote). So the next 4-5 months I'm mainly going to focus on getting my speed and strength back, with the goal of getting close (or breaking) 3:30 marathon by year end...