ScottCM

Is that Warren kidgell's wife's book?

Yes it is. My wife read that little piece in Runners World, and couldn't agree more with Kelly Kidgell. She was laughing so hard, our neighbours prob heard her. :w00t:

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry about your flu Lexx, you've been doing big mileage and working long hours... it happens. You're definitely ready though, so focus on getting right first and the rest will come around for sure. Rest is seldom a bad thing. Even for you race snakes I reckon.

How's everyone else's training been going?

I ran the Cradle 32km on Thurs, pushed it a bit as my last 'hard/fast' run and managed 3hours flat. Was a cool race, I definitely should have held back a bit more though. Legs were tired at the end.

Just did the RAC long run this morning, was just going to run half (30km) but ended up doing 42km and then Uber'ing home. Ran with two mates, walked quite a bit and had a good laugh - legs felt good, did it all at very comfy Comrades pace. Was nice to tick off... everything from here on in will be slow and steady with maybe just one/two speed sessions just keep the legs firing.

Next week Colgate, then the week after Pirates 21km in reverse... then taper taper taper.

Time is short, hope everyone has good legs and health this last month  :thumbup:

Sorry about your flu Lexx, you've been doing big mileage and working long hours... it happens. You're definitely ready though, so focus on getting right first and the rest will come around for sure. Rest is seldom a bad thing. Even for you race snakes I reckon.

How's everyone else's training been going?

I ran the Cradle 32km on Thurs, pushed it a bit as my last 'hard/fast' run and managed 3hours flat. Was a cool race, I definitely should have held back a bit more though. Legs were tired at the end.

Just did the RAC long run this morning, was just going to run half (30km) but ended up doing 42km and then Uber'ing home. Ran with two mates, walked quite a bit and had a good laugh - legs felt good, did it all at very comfy Comrades pace. Was nice to tick off... everything from here on in will be slow and steady with maybe just one/two speed sessions just keep the legs firing.

Next week Colgate, then the week after Pirates 21km in reverse... then taper taper taper.

Time is short, hope everyone has good legs and health this last month  :thumbup:

Well Done Andrew,

Not long now. :clap:  :thumbup:

I have not had a long run since 2 oceans. Been very difficult her with this humidity.. But still managed a 90 week so I'm not too bothered. back home tomorrow so will do a 30+ run next weekend as my last long run

I have not had a long run since 2 oceans. Been very difficult her with this humidity.. But still managed a 90 week so I'm not too bothered. back home tomorrow so will do a 30+ run next weekend as my last long run

That's still a good week stretch.

Hi guys. At the turn of the year I ramped up my training and revised my eating habits to the point that I lost 8kgs. For the last three weeks I've been going through one of the most turmoil times in my life. So much so that I only get 3 or 4 hours sleep a night and all this had led to major stress levels which has caused me to loose another 5kgs putting me far below my ideal race weight. With Sunday's colgate being my 1st 32km race I'm scared of pushing my body to a point where it will shut down and get sick. I'm drinking 1000mg vit c and multi vits but is there something else you could suggest to assist the system or any advice? Or am I just being paranoid and a drama queen? As reference I now weight 67.6kgs and I'm 186cm tall

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

67.6 kgs is a bit lean for 1.86 m imo... if its the stress that's causing lack of sleep then you need to address that as a priority and try get back to a normal sleeping routine and eat some real food.

Take care, you only live once

Hi guys. At the turn of the year I ramped up my training and revised my eating habits to the point that I lost 8kgs. For the last three weeks I've been going through one of the most turmoil times in my life. So much so that I only get 3 or 4 hours sleep a night and all this had led to major stress levels which has caused me to loose another 5kgs putting me far below my ideal race weight. With Sunday's colgate being my 1st 32km race I'm scared of pushing my body to a point where it will shut down and get sick. I'm drinking 1000mg vit c and multi vits but is there something else you could suggest to assist the system or any advice? Or am I just being paranoid and a drama queen? As reference I now weight 67.6kgs and I'm 186cm tall

Your weight is "normal" within BMI recommendations so probably not too much of an issue. You immediately however made me think back to some less than ideal conditions in my life which luckily passed by itself, but which, in hindsight, I could have handled better.

In the last couple of months I have been listening to the Comrades webcasts where Linsay Parry  has been hammering on recovery, nutrition (+ vitamins) and sleep. If your life is currently more difficult than usual these are still some items you can try to focus on as best you can. I do believe he is on to something as I def have had better results of late w.r.t. getting sick etc. atfer taking his advice to heart. Germs in the household just pass me by in recent months. And the advice is probably not only related to Comrades training but life in general too.

Sleep is crucial for everything in life though so you will need to try and get that sorted. All the other issues (physical end emotional) will be easier to handle if you are not overly tired and sensitive.

Good luck and strongs!

Did the Black Mountain Extreme trail run in Thaba Nchu today. 27km with 900m vertical ascending. Route is unmarked trough rugged bush with no support. So it was just over 4hours of suffering, but definitely one of the best races Ive done. Great experience for 4peaks and Skyrun.

Had some fun at a shorter distance yesterday - Safari half. Think it's the first half I ran since... last year's Safari. 

Ran into a friend a couple of k's in and we ran together lekker and relaxed. Then we got split somehow on the first long climb in the horse shoe, I was left with his two sachets of water and not seeing anybody to give it to! Cruised down the next hill, waiting for him to catch up and then normalised pace on the flatter section. And when I hit the 17k marker, it was the start of the last climb out of the horse shoe, followed by a long downhill drag - and I decided stuff the rest, we'll meet up at the end.

So ended up with a nice tempo run for the last 4 k's, great fun! Passed many many people there. Legs felt good at the end still, so seems all the training for Oceans did it's job. Bit stiff right behind the one knee as of the afternoon. Presumably the hard running on the downhill.

Next stop - JMC!

When it comes to running with ITB issues, does different running styles help it or not.

Meaning I feel the ITB more and earlier with my normal running style, knee up - high heel action/free flowing running style vs a shuffling style. 

Is this the case or are I imagining things?   Might the shuffling type of running be my short term solution until I am over this ITB/whatever it is (since the physios recon it is not ITB)

When it comes to running with ITB issues, does different running styles help it or not.

Meaning I feel the ITB more and earlier with my normal running style, knee up - high heel action/free flowing running style vs a shuffling style.

Is this the case or are I imagining things? Might the shuffling type of running be my short term solution until I am over this ITB/whatever it is (since the physios recon it is not ITB)

A higher cadence mitigated most of my niggles. But I went from a 155/160 spm heel stomper to 175+ spm with a little bit more of a midfoot landing.

Is this the case or are I imagining things? Might the shuffling type of running be my short term solution until I am over this ITB/whatever it is (since the physios recon it is not ITB)

My experience with ITB, once it's there you are not going to run or shuffle with it... unless you do the ITB leg locked straight and drag behind you hop...

This is why it's important to stop as soon as you feel it starting, it does not improve or warm up over time.

Generally any walking, running movement that bends the knee and it will bite you

So once again I presume it will be better to do as few as possible running this week and when I do, and I feel the pain going past a niggle to rather stop totally?  

Perhaps skip the short distance runs during this and next week and rather do the exercises and foam rolling on those days.  And then try and complete only the midweek 10km type runs (just one this week and two next week) and see how it goes (the ITB normally starts to kick in from 4-6)?  

And then try and do the full long ones of this and more so next weekend where there is a back to back 30+20?

67kilos means you are a bit lean, not the end of the world as we are all different. Losing 5kilos like that probably means you were weakened so take it easy and get strong.

Good luck