ScottCM

Thanks for the race report Ferret!! Congratulations on completing the marathon and supporting your wife.

4:19 is an excellent time for drinking beer, stopping and taking photos! 

London Marathon is on my bucket list. Please let me know how the entries work, as they seem to also have a ballot system?

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I did my first OMTOM in 2012 I weighed 71kg. I'm now up to about 77kg. Time to lose the boep...

Someone needs to explain this to me... Some people lose so much weight by just running and still eating whatever they want. I have never seemed to lose weight with running, and I don't eat junk food. I have very healthy eating habits. 

Thanks for the race report Ferret!! Congratulations on completing the marathon and supporting your wife.

4:19 is an excellent time for drinking beer, stopping and taking photos! 

London Marathon is on my bucket list. Please let me know how the entries work, as they seem to also have a ballot system?

They do have a Ballot system for Local and International runners but last year they had something like 290 thousand entries in the ballot to fill only 20 000 entries after the charity entries etc, so if you get one through that you are very very lucky... I know a friend who has been in the local ballot every year for the last 13 years unsuccessfully.

I run for RAC (Rand athletic Club) and the Club Secretary runs her own business that gets a  guaranteed 50 entries every year for most of the Big international marathons.

She sells them on as Full tours with Flights, accom, entries, busses to expo, starts etc etc..

Very organized and I cant recommend her enough. Bruce Fordyce was part of our tour group this year too.

Send me a Pm and Ill send all her details if you are interested.

I'll be running Colgate... although my only previous attempt I picked up a calf injury, and now I hear all these other stories :ph34r:

Will be chilled, probably around 3:20 for the 32km

Let me add my sad story to the tale...

Back in 19voetsak the one and only time I entered comrades..... it was the Colgate 32 that did me in / saved me (depending how you look at it)

It was a cold windy hiveld morning and somewhere on lap 2 my right ITB with zot warning said that's enough no more running for you.... out for 6 months AND I caught a serious cold probably due to hobbling back to the start in wet running vest....

This race is situated just at the time when any overtraining will catch up to you

You have been warned

Well done Ferret! - that must be your slowest marathon ever...but...to do that in 6 months is truly courageous and an incredible accomplishment. I raise my hat you sir.

Well done Ferret! - that must be your slowest marathon ever...but...to do that in 6 months is truly courageous and an incredible accomplishment. I raise my hat you sir.

Yeah does come in as my Slowest but No Doubt my Most enjoyable..

I was beaten down the home straight by a Guy in a Beer Can suit and a Guy dressed as a Carrot.... cant win them all, :ph34r:

Someone needs to explain this to me... Some people lose so much weight by just running and still eating whatever they want. I have never seemed to lose weight with running, and I don't eat junk food. I have very healthy eating habits. 

How many meals a day do you have and what time of the day do you have them? (Average of the past 3 months plus)

Let me add my sad story to the tale...

Back in 19voetsak the one and only time I entered comrades..... it was the Colgate 32 that did me in / saved me (depending how you look at it)

It was a cold windy hiveld morning and somewhere on lap 2 my right ITB with zot warning said that's enough no more running for you.... out for 6 months AND I caught a serious cold probably due to hobbling back to the start in wet running vest....

This race is situated just at the time when any overtraining will catch up to you

You have been warned

Erm... thanks  :mellow:  :blush:  :w00t:

Speedwork should actually be in everyone's Training that is doing the comrades. You wont believe how much your running improves and your stamina as well.

I usually do intensive speedwork  in Sept and Oct for a Nov Qualifier.

And there after only once a week.

Speedwork is very new to my training but already I'm seeing the benefits and I've only really run 2 speedwork sessions!!!!

Fartlek based runs for these past two, but will look to do some 600m sprint repeats and add some hill sprint repeats over the next few weeks. Have focused on running a 5K PB for the next couple of months and hopefully translate that speedwork change back into longer training from July through to the CT Marathon.

Average pace when running is down from 5:45 per min to 5:20 or faster with the same heart rate zones since the beginning of the year.

Erm... thanks  :mellow:  :blush:  :w00t:

I've done Colgate before all 4 of my Comrades.. its a nice flat route as a Last long run 4 weeks out..

Yes, its Bloooody freezing out there every year.. but start slow in the cold and plan to run nothing faster than your Comrades race pace and you will be fine..

The 32km is filled with tapering Comrades runners so is very festive, with good waterpoints and a nice goody bag..

Not all doom and  gloom in my opinion..

How many meals a day do you have and what time of the day do you have them? (Average of the past 3 months plus)

I eat 6 times a day, drink about 2.5 liters of water a day

Breakfast around Fat-free Yoghurt and nuts with a fruit

10 am snack: Apple and some provitas

12:30 Lunch: Normally chicken salad or veggies and a protein

15:00: Banana or some raisins, some provitas

An hour before I run (normally at 18:00) half a future life lite bar or raisins

Dinner 8 or sometimes 9 pm: Protein and veggies / salad (I think this might be the problem that I am eating too late)

Dinner 8 or sometimes 9 pm: Protein and veggies / salad (I think this might be the problem that I am eating too late)

That late dinner definitely stands out for me...

So this is happening this weekend, are you going to watch it?

http://citiusmag.com/nikes-breaking2-project-date-athletes-pacers-plan/

Going to be pretty cool to watch... hope I can pick up a stream at the time

More input from Ross Tucker - some very interesting insights.

http://sportsscientists.com/2017/05/sub-2-hour-marathon-attempt-pacing-strategy/

These guys are animals, but there is surely a limit to what the human body can do...

So we can rule out that you are fueling properly at least! 6 meals a day is a great effort! You eat better than I do... :ph34r:  :blush:

The late dinner is something you can experiment with....

Edited by Tubehunter

So Andrew Steer and I completed our own marathons on Monday night in a time of just 16 hours. Bumped into each other queueing to get our kids into school. So far I think that was my highest quality prep for Comrades. Also got tons of Comrades tips from Andrew, who eventually probably pretended to be asleep to stop me asking questions.

I was keen to do the RAC 60km like many of you but in the end opted for the Born2Run 40km. I don't know why, I just had a bad gut feel about the 60. Maybe it was just an easy out but I think I was actually partly worried that if it all went too well I'd end up having already "run my Comrades". I'm not sure if that makes sense.

Quick question, when do the rest of you intend to start your tapers? Two or three weeks out? And how much do you intend to reduce your mileage by?