ScottCM

Who's doing the Colgate this weekend?

I've pre-entered twice for this race in the past and not ran it once. The first time I had flu and second time a knee injury. It's my bogeyman - I stay as far away from this race as possible!

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to say what a great little race the Wilge River Potato Pride 21k is. This country route at Frankfort, is deserving of more support. Cheers.

Tell us more

I've pre-entered twice for this race in the past and not ran it once. The first time I had flu and second time a knee injury. It's my bogeyman - I stay as far away from this race as possible!

One of my club mates got hit by a car at Colgate two years ago (exactly today 2 years ago).

I remember running past the car and seeing the blood. At that stage, I didn't know it was her. 

The guy was drunk and a couple of the fellow runners got hold of him... To this day nothing has happened to him and my friend is still recovering  :(

So I have a mental block against Colgate... I don't think I will run it again.

I'll be running Colgate... although my only previous attempt I picked up a calf injury, and now I hear all these other stories  :ph34r: 

Will be chilled, probably around 3:20 for the 32km

So how is everbody's training going? I'm not doing Comrades, but has not stopped my training completely. I'm still trying to do 30km+ during the week (but no weekend running till probably August).

I'm still a bit disappointed at how my Two Oceans went, but in hindsight it was to be expected. Long story short: About 3 years ago I was doing close to 3h30 marathons and the rest of my running was done at sub 5min/km. Except my weekly time-trial which was done faster - ~34min for 8km. Beginning of 2015 I injured my back which resulted in nerve damage in my left leg - severe enough that I couldn't do any heel raises. It took about 3 months before I could start running again, but with a bit of diffuculty. Since then all of training has been at one pace, 5:30min/km to 5:45min/km. No speed work, but lots of km's. But my OMTOM has proven that Long Slow Distances make Long Slow Runners (Norrie Williamson quote). So the next 4-5 months I'm mainly going to focus on getting my speed and strength back, with the goal of getting close (or breaking) 3:30 marathon by year end...

I've always seen myself as a slow runner, this year though I have seen the fruits of just doing a bit of speed work and pushed up my average speed from around 6min/km to 5:30... want to definitely push on after Comrades and aim at a sub 4 marathon and maybe even further if all goes well. Still debating Comrades as a regular goal, there is so much else to do, but man it's a special event and I've begun to realise I may well be on that start line again next year  :devil:

I'm also firmly of the mindset not to go into hibernation, it's obviously good to recover properly after an event and give the mind and body some well earned rest, but re-setting the body back to lazy arse mode is also not the smartest... will definitely be spending some quality time with my bikes after June - it's been too long

So how is everbody's training going? I'm not doing Comrades, but has not stopped my training completely. I'm still trying to do 30km+ during the week (but no weekend running till probably August).

I'm still a bit disappointed at how my Two Oceans went, but in hindsight it was to be expected. Long story short: About 3 years ago I was doing close to 3h30 marathons and the rest of my running was done at sub 5min/km. Except my weekly time-trial which was done faster - ~34min for 8km. Beginning of 2015 I injured my back which resulted in nerve damage in my left leg - severe enough that I couldn't do any heel raises. It took about 3 months before I could start running again, but with a bit of diffuculty. Since then all of training has been at one pace, 5:30min/km to 5:45min/km. No speed work, but lots of km's. But my OMTOM has proven that Long Slow Distances make Long Slow Runners (Norrie Williamson quote). So the next 4-5 months I'm mainly going to focus on getting my speed and strength back, with the goal of getting close (or breaking) 3:30 marathon by year end...

Good for you Cobus! I am in exactly the same boat (well not the 3:30 marathon boat, but the run at the same pace and no speedwork boat)

My plan is to start with speedwork after the Comrades rest. I slowed down drastically the last year and a half, struggling with the nausea thing. My focus will be to lose some weight (which will be very difficult to do in winter...), and then to run a PB on a 10 km, probably Clearwater Mall 10km on the 19th of August 2017. I am a real novice when it comes to speedwork as I have never concentrated on it before. 

Speedwork should actually be in everyone's Training that is doing the comrades. You wont believe how much your running improves and your stamina as well.

I usually do intensive speedwork  in Sept and Oct for a Nov Qualifier.

And there after only once a week.

The past 4 and a half months has been good for me, my running and also being introduced to brand new concepts and things:

Top of the list:

- people who can run + 25km's at 6.00m/km while never keeping quiet

- Walking as a tactic to improve time over distances - if I didn't do it myself I would've never believed it

- Barefoot runners in marathons, seeing is believing

and my first introduction to a spastic piriformus muscle on Monday...man that bugger caused me some serious and unpleasant discomfort. I rolled it out nicely with a foam roller after some anti-inflammatory meds, but what a nasty experience that was!

I'm loving the running more every week, but the body does have a sense of humour to say slow down in peculiar ways

I'll be running Colgate... although my only previous attempt I picked up a calf injury, and now I hear all these other stories  :ph34r: 

Will be chilled, probably around 3:20 for the 32km

Hope to see you there, i will be aiming for that time too as its just a training run for me. My race number is a nice even 150.

Who's doing the Colgate this weekend?

Jackie Meckler 25km is the race on the books for this weekend.

Just got back from Europe last night...  so a little race report.. LONDON MARTAHON 2017

Almost exactly 6 months after a broken femur and against better judgment ... I headed to London on the 20th April with the family, still undecided whether id run or not.

I hadn't really run at all for 6 weeks (after the plates came out) and done less than 150kms for the year so far, but I had done a Little 20km jog with the wife the Sunday before to see if I could jog round with no real pain or discomfort. Id also been riding the bike for a few weeks so knew my fitness/strength was ok/ and from memory wasn't too afraid of 42kms..  

I finally decided the day before it was a once in a lifetime opportunity and I'd jog with the wife.. the worst that could happen is I'd have to catch a tube home at some point if my leg really wasn't happy.

What a race... Vibe is absolutely insane, people 10 deep both sides for 41.7kms.. (one bridge you go under that gives you peace for  about 500m @ 25kms)

As the wife hadn't done much training either we decided to Jog the first 10kms then do a Run/Walk/Photo's/Beer stops for the next 32kms.. for a 5/ 5.5hr finish

But the crowds are so large we just got pushed along from our seeded start with the flow and before we knew it we were at halfway just under 2hrs.. crowds are so big and soo close you just cant walk with all the support.

After 30kms we had a Long stop with some family spectating on the route,  then took more of a chill (and a lot of photos and videos) and I finally got a Pint from a SA Spectator on route at 22miles (35kms)... Budweiser but beggars cant be choosers... :whistling:

I wont lie and say 42kms didn't feel like a Bloody long way , and I had to drag the wife through the last 7kms

But what a Party of a race... We finally finished in 4h19 which in the scheme of things was pretty damn ok.. leg held up nicely... calves and Hamstrings buggered...

Added a official pic of the finish, hijacked off their site but have ordered our pack of 47 images on disk..

Course is Super fast... may have to go back again in the next few years to chase my illusive sub 2h40 mark..

Ill spend most of this year on the bike to get the leg back up to 100%.... and to get through Epic next march.... and then back to running to chase my UP silver in 2018...

Been a long road but there is plenty light at the end of the tunnel...

post-30019-0-61851900-1493805511_thumb.jpg

Tell us more

OK here are the positives of the Wilge River Potato Pride 21k:

Good time of year: peachy weather, not too hot. You can travel down from the Reef for the day, if you wish (as some did), or make a weekend of it.

After plunging down through town, the bulk of the race is on a graded gravel road on the banks of the Wilge river. Although you are running upstream, it appears level most of the way. Quiet, serene.

Nine (yes, 9!) water tables in 21ks, manned by friendly locals.

A hill, billed as a 'Little Pollys' (but nothing like), takes you from the river back to suburbia and the finish at the Sports stadium.

The race entry, T-shirt, medal and a temp license for a modest R130.

Sadly, there were only about 400 punters across the three distances (42k, 21k and 10k).

We will certainly return.

Good for you Cobus! I am in exactly the same boat (well not the 3:30 marathon boat, but the run at the same pace and no speedwork boat)

My plan is to start with speedwork after the Comrades rest. I slowed down drastically the last year and a half, struggling with the nausea thing. My focus will be to lose some weight (which will be very difficult to do in winter...), and then to run a PB on a 10 km, probably Clearwater Mall 10km on the 19th of August 2017. I am a real novice when it comes to speedwork as I have never concentrated on it before. 

When I did my first OMTOM in 2012 I weighed 71kg. I'm now up to about 77kg. Time to lose the boep...