ScottCM

I had a pair of Road-X 233's (6mm drop) which i loved to bits, but they were chewed to bits by the dreadmill at the gym due to a mist-step by me. I tried the road-xtreme 220s (4mm drop, very little underfoot support) but all that happened was that I got hurt running anything over 5km.

All I can say is that 6mm drops are scarce! I eventually settled for the New Balance Vazee's which has a 8mm drop, but a lot of cushioning. Luckily they are allowing me to pick up mileage again!

PS: what is the new model's name?

Roadclaw has 8mm drop and Roadtalon 4mm drop. I'm eyeing the roadtalon as all my other inov8 shoes are 0-3mm drop.

I've had a look at the addidas and nike shoes as well today, but I think I'll end up heading to sweatshop this weekend to try a few different ones before I settle.

I see the roadtalon has 4mm drop and the 3mm insole, will that effectively make it the same as a normal 7mm drop shoe?

Edited by Jurgens Smit

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Roadclaw has 8mm drop and Roadtalon 4mm drop. I'm eyeing the roadtalon as all my other inov8 shoes are 0-3mm drop.

I've had a look at the addidas and nike shoes as well today, but I think I'll end up heading to sweatshop this weekend to try a few different ones before I settle.

I see the roadtalon has 4mm drop and the 3mm insole, will that effectively make it the same as a normal 7mm drop shoe?

Not sure about the insoles, but will it not raise both front and back equally?

How do you guys measure stride and cadence?

I typically train with my Wahoo HR belt and my iPhone. Would love a watch but way un-affordable for me at this stage.

I am not sure about stride, but found this on Cadence:

https://runnersconnect.net/improve-running-speed-step-frequency-and-step-length/

How to calculate cadence

To determine your own cadence, simply count the number of times your left foot hits the ground whilst running for 30 seconds. Let’s imagine yours turned out to be 40.

Double that to get the total for 60 seconds (80); then double it again to get the total for both feet (160).

Your cadence (for that particular running speed) is therefore 160spm. 

Another Interesting article to read:

http://www.scienceofrunning.com/2010/11/speed-stride-length-x-stride-frequency.html

The Wahoo TICKR X will measure stride and cadence data for you. 

Has internal smart features. 

Or I thought just now, maybe run to a point - say halfway and only start the watch there?

I hav'nt checked if your question was answered yet.   What we did with my wife's watch (Garmin 15 with only 5 hours) for if something happened and we had to split, during Two oceans was.

We only started her watch in the second part, so that she had enough time on the battery to the end.   I also started it in such a manner that she had "10's" left.   For example lets say you work on 5 hours for your wife's watch, start it at the km's that will work out with the 5 hours, but do it on 47/57/67, so that she has 40/30/20 to go, so make help make the calculations if she needs to make them easier.

So I think we found the mother of all my ITB problems last night when I almost peed my pants at the physio.  My  TFL apparently.   Like in this video (of the dude with muscles that hides his muscles :lol: ) from 03:00.

I tried to foamroll this morning, but I can hardly touch that area, never mind work it.

But here's to hoping that we can sort this out in the remaining two weeks.   

Born2Run has just released a couple of pacing charts. Here are the sub 12 and sub 11 hour charts that Trad Cruickshank put together. He's handily colour coded the areas where you should conserve and where you can push on:

Do you have the explanations of the colours?   I can work out most of them, but not all.

Link not working, or is it just me?

Maybe your company is blocking Facebook.

Here is an image: (written by Graham Block)

post-3664-0-97859700-1494931767_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hacc

My girlfriend has the small Tomtom gps watch. I'm pretty sure the battery will not manage a 12 hour comrades run.. My Fenix 3 will easily manage it so I haven't given this any thought.

Whats the best way to manage pacing? She's going for a finish.

Start at the race start and manage pace until it dies and then best-guess on the rest? 

Or I thought just now, maybe run to a point - say halfway and only start the watch there?

Be the gentleman and give her your watch.

That was totally obvious. 

Be the gentleman and give her your watch.

That was totally obvious. 

Haha well played sir! 

Edited by CBlake

Legs are playing lekker mind games with me... didn't run last week as both my girls were sick. On the on the weekend decided to stay indoors and avoid the cold. I'm prone to getting sick in the cold, and particularly when I've had long nights attending to sick kids and not getting enough rest...

So last night, kids healthy, weather a bit better I head off for a quick post work run...

This morning I swear I have shin splints and Plantar Fasciitis  :mellow:  :D

Fun and games, fun and games I tell you  :ph34r:

Legs are playing lekker mind games with me... didn't run last week as both my girls were sick. On the on the weekend decided to stay indoors and avoid the cold. I'm prone to getting sick in the cold, and particularly when I've had long nights attending to sick kids and not getting enough rest...

So last night, kids healthy, weather a bit better I head off for a quick post work run...

This morning I swear I have shin splints and Plantar Fasciitis  :mellow:  :D

Fun and games, fun and games I tell you  :ph34r:

:unsure:

I feel the same. Didn't run the weekend and I ran last night at a very slow pace.

It felt like I finished a marathon the previous day! Legs feel like bricks and calf muscles feel very stiff. 

Can the 4th of June just come now, please??

Do we know yet how the numbers will work at Comrades?   ASA numbers as well or the same as with OMTOM, only the race number and not ASA numbers?

Do we know yet how the numbers will work at Comrades?   ASA numbers as well or the same as with OMTOM, only the race number and not ASA numbers?

no ASA number needs to be displayed. In fact you can run in whatever you want