ScottCM

Sorry to rehash this old post (but I'm busy reading and catching up now..)

What exact test is this, or which reading do you look at to find this out. Short of going back to a doctor and shelling out some silly consult fee, I'm hoping i can find this reading on an old blood test and do some research myself.

I have been experimenting with and trying to get used to gels because its seems so easy and convenient but at ironman and comrades I was properly sick (on the run legs and after about 4 of these guys) and can't work out other than the gels what it could be. 

So a test would really help

Just back from Durbs IM, so only picking this up now.  It is as Pulse stated your HbA1c

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5:25... very nicely done! 

What's your time for full Ironman out of interest?

PS: How do you feel about half-Ironman participants walking around calling themselves Ironmen  :ph34r:

I haven't done either (yet) but it irritates me for some reason  :lol:

Thanks, I did 10:52 at IMSA this year

Technically the half ironmen... for me am not fussed about it.... you can always ask them how they did in the full ironman and wait for the shameful reply of that they have only done a half ironman  :ph34r:

Thanks, I did 10:52 at IMSA this year

Technically the half ironmen... for me am not fussed about it.... you can always ask them how they did in the full ironman and wait for the shameful reply of that they have only done a half ironman  :ph34r:

Nice... strong like Bull  :thumbup:

Looking at Scott CM's Strava files he seems to have had a pretty good day out... I guess he will report back in due time 

How much water do you drink with each gel and in between gels?

When you get sick, what comes up.... water or gel?

Try eating regular small amounts of solid food.... any reasonable food that you can stomach during endurance events.

I'll drink every second water table. Probably a full water sachet or some energade if I'm feeling a bit pap. Also one gel per hour, with water just to clean the taste out and wash it down. I sweat like a good thing so I'm sure I almost always dehydrate at some point in an event.

Initially when I'm sick it'll be dry heaving, thereafter anything I eat or drink comes straight back up.

I'm definitely going to stop all or most of the gels. maybe keep one for a shorter event, but I'll be testing out some real foods for sure.

I guess Pulse meant the beginning of April... You do not try and improve your seeding at Wally. 

Sorry… I forgot to mention that this was back in the day when Comrades was still on Youth Day.  Even though I’ve done a couple of them, my focus was never really on Comrades, but on marathon distances, so my last fast marathon used to be around April/beginning May.  That used to be around 6-10 weeks before Comrades, which is (was) enough time to recover.  With the “new” date, I wouldn’t do it after end March/beginning April.

I still believe that one should get the qualifier out the way early on (without worrying too much about the seeding time), and then work on a seeding in your next marathon.

I agree with Stretch/Andrew that for most, a lower starting batch that forces you to start slow is a good thing (depending on your aim).

I disagree on running a fast marathon so late (April and especially May)- it's too close to Comrades and may not be enough recovery time. "Fast" being relative to each individual, it does take a lot out of you even though it might not feel like it as you will be strong at that stage of your Comrades training.

Personally I don't see much point in breaking oneself just to improve seeding by a batch.

this is the one thing I have against comrades. The only negative in my book. You go through all this training effort to run one race and then all other marathons are run conservatively instead of going for PB's - and especially since you are super well trained.

I ran a qualifying c batch in September and then bust my butt for a B batch seeding in March. Was it worth it...probably not...but hey..it was lekker walking into the B batch pen

this is the one thing I have against comrades. The only negative in my book. You go through all this training effort to run one race and then all other marathons are run conservatively instead of going for PB's - and especially since you are super well trained.

I ran a qualifying c batch in September and then bust my butt for a B batch seeding in March. Was it worth it...probably not...but hey..it was lekker walking into the B batch pen

I agree with you there. There's so much (possibly too much) focus on Comrades, and all the training that goes with it, that we tend to forget what it is to run a hard marathon/21 etc. because we are ultimately too worried about the big day.

Looking at Scott CM's Strava files he seems to have had a pretty good day out... I guess he will report back in due time 

Seems like he had an excellent run! Averaging 6min/km after the swim and bike is great going.

I agree with you there. There's so much (possibly too much) focus on Comrades, and all the training that goes with it, that we tend to forget what it is to run a hard marathon/21 etc. because we are ultimately too worried about the big day.

My 2c is to concentrate on your 10/21km times in the "off" season - July to November.

Well, that is my plan for this year.

"The Comrades Marathon - making the feat of finishing a standard marathon in SA worthless since 1921"  :ph34r:

So I did my #MyMile challenge on Strava. Dammit my legs and lungs are prob still in Durban. I had to do my run on a soccer field. But jeez, its much harder than I have imagined. Did a 5:33. But felt as I have never run a single km in my life.

So I did my #MyMile challenge on Strava. Dammit my legs and lungs are prob still in Durban. I had to do my run on a soccer field. But jeez, its much harder than I have imagined. Did a 5:33. But felt as I have never run a single km in my life.

nicely done Lexx - TRUST ME - i know how you feel! I would like to give this another go...but not until I have had a proper rest!! i also need some time to forget about how much this hurt!

nicely done Lexx - TRUST ME - i know how you feel! I would like to give this another go...but not until I have had a proper rest!! i also need some time to forget about how much this hurt!

Me Too. I am sitting here coughing and lungs burning. If this challenge was 2 months later I would do it again. But my body is still in recovery mode.lol

brilliant write up. I think we forget how fortunate we are to experience comrades so easily. Just reading how Camille Herron has been imagining comrades since she was 13 really strikes home.

And for those wondering about beer as race nutrition......

" With 30k to 10k to go, each time I saw my husband, I shouted, “BEER!” Having sampled South African beers leading up to race day, we settled on Jack Black’s Brewer’s Lager. Drinking a mix of this with ginger beer really hit the spot!"

http://www.irunfar.com/2017/06/camille-herrons-2017-comrades-marathon-report.html

I am looking for new trail shoes. I currently run with Brooks glyserin 13(road), and need to replace my trail(asics). My mom has Brooks trail shoes but she is not impressed. Also want to add that i am not buying Solomons. Any good advise for the best natural long distance trail shoe?