ScottCM

One more rest day then I’m back in action. We geading to Jordan for a little break away, staying on the shores of the dead sea, some of the hills in the surrounding area seems to have trails on them. Looking forward to running outside again.

If I remember correctly, the dead see is below sea level, isn't it? You're going to feel doped up on oxygen, running will be amazing.

The dead sea is 400m belowe sea level. I lived there for about 14 months. Also trained there for my first Comrades. I ran the Aman to Dead sea ultra , and once a solo run from the South of the Dead sea to the North.

Pity we didn't have Strava back then I would have had some epic runs recorded :-)

The Kempinski, Movenpick and Marriott hotels on the Jordan side of the dead sea are really nice.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome!! Those tickets are not badly prices! We paid a little more thatn double to fly home this December. That makes me excited to get into those hills. I saw there is a segment in the road those hotels are on. My wife and I are working in Kuwait so all of these places are not to much of a trek. I want to enter for the Dubai marathon but it sucks that it’s on a Saturday, traveling back and working the next day is going to be poef. But maybe I should just have a spoonfull of cement.

I've set myself some slightly loftier goals for Comrades next year and so with that have had to look at doing some proper training and having a bit of a plan...

Chatting with a friend of mine at a braai last week, he's got 3 silvers so I always like to hear his thoughts, he's adamant we train at too high a speed. He's advised me to do most of my runs at a very easy 6:15-30 pace and in doing so it will allow me to run a lot more regularly as my legs won't tire nearly as much or pick up the niggles associated from pushing things a bit. And then through more regular running and the odd speed session I will get my general speed up over time. 

Just going on the end of last week, I did 10km Thurs, 10km Fri and 15km Sat all at that comfy easier pace and I must say my legs felt absolutely perfect despite the unfamiliarity of three back to back runs. I didn't run yesterday specifically (although I did get stuck into the garden for a few hours), but going on my legs, I probably could have easily - but I don't want to push too far too soon. This week the plan is 4 (maybe 5) slow easy runs, with the plan long term of getting up to 6 runs every week. 

It's early days, but it's feeling right so far... let's hope it continues that way

I've set myself some slightly loftier goals for Comrades next year and so with that have had to look at doing some proper training and having a bit of a plan...

Chatting with a friend of mine at a braai last week, he's got 3 silvers so I always like to hear his thoughts, he's adamant we train at too high a speed. He's advised me to do most of my runs at a very easy 6:15-30 pace and in doing so it will allow me to run a lot more regularly as my legs won't tire nearly as much or pick up the niggles associated from pushing things a bit. And then through more regular running and the odd speed session I will get my general speed up over time.

Just going on the end of last week, I did 10km Thurs, 10km Fri and 15km Sat all at that comfy easier pace and I must say my legs felt absolutely perfect despite the unfamiliarity of three back to back runs. I didn't run yesterday specifically (although I did get stuck into the garden for a few hours), but going on my legs, I probably could have easily - but I don't want to push too far too soon. This week the plan is 4 (maybe 5) slow easy runs, with the plan long term of getting up to 6 runs every week.

It's early days, but it's feeling right so far... let's hope it continues that way

I agree with you...

Most of us tend to do our easy sessions way too hard, and our hard sessions way too easy.

So even though we feel tired, and train a lot, we don't get the benefits of the hard sessions, nor the recovery of the slow sessions...

This has always interested me. And I hear it often whenever pro's (from many disciplines) get interviewed. It goes against the logic in my head though - if I want to be able to run a race at say 5min/km then surely I need to train there and not 6min/km with the odd sprint session thrown in? 

I ran 26 on saturday at almost 75 secs slower per km than my (lofty) goals. I must say I was still pretty physically tired later in the day, although not for a second out of breath along the way.

I look forward to hearing how the change of strategy goes for you.

This has always interested me. And I hear it often whenever pro's (from many disciplines) get interviewed. It goes against the logic in my head though - if I want to be able to run a race at say 5min/km then surely I need to train there and not 6min/km with the odd sprint session thrown in?

I ran 26 on saturday at almost 75 secs slower per km than my (lofty) goals. I must say I was still pretty physically tired later in the day, although not for a second out of breath along the way.

There is an alternative as well...

Train just faster than race pace as far as you can. If you can't make race distance, you are not fit enough, so you rest completely (1 week +), and try again...

I'm too old to try this, I'll just break!

Train just faster than race pace as far as you can. If you can't make race distance, you are not fit enough, so you rest completely (1 week +), and try again...

Haha yes I like this.

Your initial response made sense though. I don't actually have any structure to my training. There's no fast or easy days. When I get a chance to train I feel I need to attack it full-on, it may be the only time in the week - varying levels of work, life admin and laziness  :whistling:  get in the way..

Best of luck in hunting the new goals Andrew, care to share which they are, BR perhaps?

BR long term is the plan for sure, but to take two hours off my Comrades time in one year is probably a bit beyond me... I'm also just really not that committed, especially with two young girls at home that I don't like missing grow up. Certainly want to put myself in a position though were it looks like a more realistic jump. Let's just see how it goes for now

BR long term is the plan for sure, but to take two hours off my Comrades time in one year is probably a bit beyond me... I'm also just really not that committed, especially with two young girls at home that I don't like missing grow up. Certainly want to put myself in a position though were it looks like a more realistic jump. Let's just see how it goes for now

Keep us updated on your progress as you go through various races you have previously done so we can compare. best of luck bud.

My current work/family life doesn't lend itself to do have a structured training plan. So what I try to do per week is:

2 sessions of 4km to 5km @ 20-30second/km faster than 10km race pace.

3-4 sessions of 7km to 11km @ 20-30sec/km slower than 10km race pace.

1 LSD on a Saturday/Sunday @ 40-60sec/km slower than 10km race pace.

I will let you know next year March how it works...

So you are telling me that training runs don't have to involve seeing stars, holding back chunder and tasting blood every time?

Norrie Williamson, in his book Distance Running for Everyone (or something to that effect) was clear, to race fast you have to train running fast (duh).  He did warn however, that to race far you have to also train far (duh).

The challenge is to balance both distance and speed ito training.  Tim Noakes in the Lore of Running gives 15 rules (9 rules by Authur Newton). http://www.duhac.tcdlife.ie/Training/15laws1.php

Some of the important rules: 

Rule 2:  Training gradually and gently

Rule 3:  Train for distance first, and then for speed.

Rule 5: Alternate hard and easy days

RULE 6:  ACHIEVE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE ON THE LEAST AMOUNT OF TRAINING

Rule 10:  Don't overtrain

Rule 14:  Rest before a big Race

Norrie Williamson, in his book Distance Running for Everyone (or something to that effect) was clear, to race fast you have to train running fast (duh).  He did warn however, that to race far you have to also train far (duh).

The challenge is to balance both distance and speed ito training.  Tim Noakes in the Lore of Running gives 15 rules (9 rules by Authur Newton). http://www.duhac.tcdlife.ie/Training/15laws1.php

Some of the important rules: 

Rule 2:  Training gradually and gently

Rule 3:  Train for distance first, and then for speed.

Rule 5: Alternate hard and easy days

RULE 6:  ACHIEVE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE ON THE LEAST AMOUNT OF TRAINING

Rule 10:  Don't overtrain

Rule 14:  Rest before a big Race

Rule #3 for me for now... building a base this year, hopefully conditioning the *** out of my legs