ScottCM

Done myself a minor mischief...

Last Friday heading out on my run, felt my calf was super tight but tried to ignore it. Got about 1.5km out and it started to pain a bit, so headed home. Definitely a slight strain, and sadly only myself to blame... haven't had time in the mornings after my runs to stretch, so completely neglected that side of things and have now paid the price. Stretching is a pain in the bum, but you've just got to do it.

Looks like it should all be fine for Kaapsehoop marathon on Sat, but taking it very easy this week

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So this weekend has Kaapsehoop on Sat and Soweto on Sunday,

Who doing which and is anyone doing the double?

OMTOM entries open tomorrow... who all is going? Really enjoyed last year, hope to keep it a fixture in my calendar heading forward for as long as possible.

See we have to enter through Webtickets as well... crikey these okes love to really complicate things  :D

Will also enter again, this race will also be on my to do list as long as I can.  Loved it!

In for Kaapsehoop,

Been waiting on a groin niggle to go away since last week but its a persistent bugger.

Doing Soweto, with no real excitement as yet. Aiming to go sub 4.

Pulled out of Soweto as only just got over my ITB and have done no long distances since CPT marathon in September.

Going to do the Tshwane Cycle race as at least my cycling fitness has not suffered too much with the ITB.

Aim at the moment is to gain enough fitness to suffer the Tough One end of November.

Edited by shaper

Pulled out of Soweto as only just got over my ITB and have done no long distances since CPT marathon in September.

Going to do the Tshwane Cycle race as at least my cycling fitness has not suffered too much with the ITB.

Aim at the moment is to gain enough fitness to suffer the Tough One end of November.

Is Tough One tougher than Soweto? I haven't done either but I have heard nightmare stories about both. I assume based on one story that Tough One is worse as it forced a friend to retire altogether.

Is Tough One tougher than Soweto? I haven't done either but I have heard nightmare stories about both. I assume based on one story that Tough One is worse as it forced a friend to retire altogether.

Tough One is shorter... so you can't really compare the two.  Tough One is exactly that, tough.

The first half is quite undulating and the second half is pure torture. 

Tough One is 520m of climbing and the race only starts at 15km in. I see Tough One as a training run, take it easy and enjoy the end of year vibe.

Link to my 2015 Tough One: (missed it last year due to antibiotics, ended up supporting my club mates on the road.... I will never do that again)

https://www.strava.com/activities/437464431

post-3664-0-76885800-1509448334_thumb.jpg

I have only done one Soweto marathon way back in 2014. I didn't enjoy it at all.

Soweto has an elevation of 459m and the last 13km is climbing all the way. 

So if you want to compare elevation then Tough One is more climbing over a shorter distance than Soweto.

:eek: Has anyone done the double marathons?

Tough One is shorter... so you can't really compare the two.  Tough One is exactly that, tough.

The first half is quite undulating and the second half is pure torture. 

Tough One is 520m of climbing and the race only starts at 15km in. I see Tough One as a training run, take it easy and enjoy the end of year vibe.

Link to my 2015 Tough One: (missed it last year due to antibiotics, ended up supporting my club mates on the road.... I will never do that again)

https://www.strava.com/activities/437464431

attachicon.giftough one.JPG

I have only done one Soweto marathon way back in 2014. I didn't enjoy it at all.

Soweto has an elevation of 459m and the last 13km is climbing all the way. 

So if you want to compare elevation then Tough One is more climbing over a shorter distance than Soweto.

Thanks for this info.

Comparisons don't always have to be about things that are the same but I get your point. I enjoy climbing so I hope it goes well on Sunday. 

Thanks for this info.

Comparisons don't always have to be about things that are the same but I get your point. I enjoy climbing so I hope it goes well on Sunday. 

Good luck for Sunday, sub 4 at Soweto is excellent. Keep us posted.

Good luck for Sunday, sub 4 at Soweto is excellent. Keep us posted.

I will do my utmost to give a race report. Thanks.

Oceans is very much on the cards for me again next year. Enjoyed it immensely this year. 

But wait - there's more... In my training state, where I (mostly) run more k's per month than I cycled all year (excl last couple of weeks where I was forced to ride a bit due to injury) I get a call from a buddy about a week ago. Soooo, in a couple of days' time I'll be lining up for W2W.  :eek:   Where's a facepalm gesiggie if you need one?!

I think the term HKGK is quite applicable!  :whistling: