ScottCM

YAY! Kaapsehoop this weekend, super excited to get away and smash it. Hoping to finish around the 3H50min mark and secure a place in 'D' batch for the comrades.

Good luck to all that are running the race.

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the King Price Irene Farm race (half marathon) on Saturday. Very cold morning with blustering wind

Very nice run. Great scenery, well organised, not a double lap, etc.

Was very chilly and due to the numbers who entered, the start (uphill) was very slow. Once out of the ARC the field opened up and we could run our own race.

My 2nd half marathon done and finished it in 2 hours 16 minutes (first one was the Clover Irene Race and finished that in 2 hours 33 minutes). Nice mix of uphills and down hills. Some offroad, etc.

Will put this in my calendar for next year.

Edited by ycowley

With our marathon next weekend, I am really starting to get seriously pee'd off with this itb.   Just last weekend I thought it was becoming better, this weekend (after only having one run in the week) it was way worse again.

I would so love to hear how someone that had it bad and did stuff like comrades etc, managed to sort this nonsense out..   And I can really understand why people can decide to do the operation and get it over with, I can really relate!

I have just got over ITB (holding thumbs) which have had since beginning of August, it has come and gone, some weeks have been ok to run 21kms or more, the next week lucky if can do 1km.  Very much like your scenario.

Went back to my physio 3 weeks ago and now every morning and evening I do with a resistance band

• Side lateral leg raises
  • Clamshell raises
  • Hamstring stretch

I then foam roll, do single leg squats and finally do a yoga pigeon pose to really stretch the glutes.

My physio got me to do short runs to start with very slowly 3-5kms (6:30/km) on the road 1 week after starting the stretches (only to stop if the pain was severe). 

This past week being 3 weeks after starting physio again I managed 8kms Tues, Wed and Thurs (all with very mild but not painful ITB).  Saturday a 15km (ITB only irritated on the downhills) and a 8km yesterday with no pain at all.  All of the runs have had no after effect and have felt fine with no post run stiffness or need for icing.

Am still getting physio once a week with dry needles and massage and running strapped up with KT Tape.

Will continue with the regular stretching exercises and hopefully am over it :)

Edit, I have got progressively faster with each run from 3 weeks ago.  Yesterday was at 5:15/km

Edited by shaper

I have just got over ITB (holding thumbs) which have had since beginning of August, it has come and gone, some weeks have been ok to run 21kms or more, the next week lucky if can do 1km. Very much like your scenario.

Went back to my physio 3 weeks ago and now every morning and evening I do with a resistance band

• Clamshell raises
  • Hamstring stretch

I do Clamshells with strong resistance bands and single leg bridges religiously now. It keeps my itb and hip niggles at bay, if I skip it for two weeks I can feel my itb starting on long runs.

• Clamshell raises
  • Hamstring stretch

I do Clamshells with strong resistance bands and single leg bridges religiously now. It keeps my itb and hip niggles at bay, if I skip it for two weeks I can feel my itb starting on long runs.

Which type of resistance bands do you use and where do you get it from?

The one i bought from SBR sport kept breaking and really don't feel like making 100km round trip just for a band. 

Will continue with the regular stretching exercises and hopefully am over it :)

Glad things are looking up! 

What makes me gatvol (excuse the pun), is I have never done so many butt etc exercises in my life as these past months, but it still returns and just gets worse as soon as the load ups...   Now I don't do them each day and morning and evening, but I just cannot afford the time to do it that often, then I'm not going to sleep.

Anyways, it seems this is the only solution, so clearly I must do something wrong, or too few, or I don't know...   Do these exercises as much and often as you can, forever....

http://strengthrunning.com/2011/01/it-band-injury/

https://forums.runnersworld.co.uk/discussion/34691/itbs-it-can-be-beaten

The one i bought from SBR sport kept breaking and really don't feel like making 100km round trip just for a band.

Those physio ones dont last a week. I use a 700c tube cut to size.????

Mine is orange/red (supposedly different colours mean different strengths), got mine from my physio.  Mine is a called sanctband http://www.dms-medical.co.za/pre-cut-elastic-band-sanct-band/ and also there is theraband

You can get from takelot https://sport.takealot.com/sport/resistance-bands-21202

Also sportsmans https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/product/gofit-power-loops

Glad things are looking up! 

What makes me gatvol (excuse the pun), is I have never done so many butt etc exercises in my life as these past months, but it still returns and just gets worse as soon as the load ups...   Now I don't do them each day and morning and evening, but I just cannot afford the time to do it that often, then I'm not going to sleep.

Anyways, it seems this is the only solution, so clearly I must do something wrong, or too few, or I don't know...   Do these exercises as much and often as you can, forever....

http://strengthrunning.com/2011/01/it-band-injury/

https://forums.runnersworld.co.uk/discussion/34691/itbs-it-can-be-beaten

Can you afford to do the exercises for 10 - 15 minutes? Sometimes I max at 10 minutes and I run without issues. It's also a small price to pay by being consistent with the rehab. Daily isn't essential but definitely before every run is a must.

Can you afford to do the exercises for 10 - 15 minutes? Sometimes I max at 10 minutes and I run without issues. It's also a small price to pay by being consistent with the rehab. Daily isn't essential but definitely before every run is a must.

Sound ridiculous, but between kids and work and other grown up stuff, finding 15mins a day is not easy. I normally do mine around 10/11 at night, and then go to bed. Mornings is a nightmare.

I know the Cactic fitness products use a lot of rubber band type work and they are solid bands not like the flimsy physio ones.

Am the same, takes me max 10 mins to do my stretching and even though am hoping am over my ITB (even managed to do some sprints this morning), will continue with the daily stretches as think in the long run it will save on physio and time off from running

I will be extremely honest by admitting that I sometimes also feel lazy to do these exercises. Each situation will be different for each individual but when I need to run and I'm lazy, the least I do is 50 of each abductor and adductor exercises and it take 5 minutes max.

OMTOM entries open tomorrow... who all is going? Really enjoyed last year, hope to keep it a fixture in my calendar heading forward for as long as possible.

See we have to enter through Webtickets as well... crikey these okes love to really complicate things  :D