ScottCM

Well .... I caught a cold after the last weekends 21 must have been on my limit ????

So today I’m off to an island ???? in the iindian ocean for some heat training before tackling the Boksburg park run LOL

#Seriousgoalsfornovember

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell me about it... my calf is still singing to me a bit every now and then, felt it going up the stairs this morning. Really hoping it's my mind playing games, else it's going to be a very long 42kms tomorrow. Good luck to everyone, hope you smash those goals

Well, at least you cannot be more under prepared than what I'm going into next Saturday, add to that an ITB, but screw that.   Trust things will go well and good luck!

So Yesterday was the Kaapsehoop 42km Comrades Qualifier. It def did not go as planned...

Had a little bit of a cold during the week, but thought it will not really affect me as I trained really hard and was in better shape than last year. But life doesn't always work like that. When the gun went off I could feel I had no spring in my legs. I was hoping that my legs would be better come halfway, but it wasn't meant to be. Finished in a disappointing 03:24.  

That's life I suppose. I was depressed and pissed off at the same time In the beer tent after the race, when my wife said something to me that put things in perspective:" Jy dink dalk alles loop skeef,maar miskien verloop alles net mooi reg" she just knows how to cheer me up...

I must just realise that I wont have good running days/races all the time. I must learn from them and move on. I would rather have a bad day now, than a bad day at the Comrades..

So Yesterday was the Kaapsehoop 42km Comrades Qualifier. It def did not go as planned...

Had a little bit of a cold during the week, but thought it will not really affect me as I trained really hard and was in better shape than last year. But life doesn't always work like that. When the gun went off I could feel I had no spring in my legs. I was hoping that my legs would be better come halfway, but it wasn't meant to be. Finished in a disappointing 03:24.  

That's life I suppose. I was depressed and pissed off at the same time In the beer tent after the race, when my wife said something to me that put things in perspective:" Jy dink dalk alles loop skeef,maar miskien verloop alles net mooi reg" she just knows how to cheer me up...

I must just realise that I wont have good running days/races all the time. I must learn from them and move on. I would rather have a bad day now, than a bad day at the Comrades..

Wives are great things :)

Next race will be better and like you said, rather an off day now than in a more important race.

That's life I suppose. I was depressed and pissed off at the same time In the beer tent after the race, when my wife said something to me that put things in perspective:" Jy dink dalk alles loop skeef,maar miskien verloop alles net mooi reg" she just knows how to cheer me up...

I must just realise that I wont have good running days/races all the time. I must learn from them and move on. I would rather have a bad day now, than a bad day at the Comrades..

Sorry you had an off day, Lexx. That was a brutal finish though. That last hill was littered with despondent runners, now walking, who had obviously had a great race to that point. I only know of one person who beat their target time. Everyone else I spoke to was off by at least a few minutes. At full fitness, what would your target have been?

hey lexx i can feel your pain,last sunday for the tinman triathlon was hoping to break into the top 20 sprint,and off course the wind decided to factor in and rear its ugly head.cycling is my weakest leg and of course i was training that most times,but in durban our course is directly on seaside,and a strong northeasterly was blowing,long story short,i was once again back of pack,what i did take from that was i swam in aweful conditions and made it out without drowing,and i finished the run in my best time on supersore legs,moral of the story take what you can good out of your race and work harder on that.goodluck man.

Sorry you had an off day, Lexx. That was a brutal finish though. That last hill was littered with despondent runners, now walking, who had obviously had a great race to that point. I only know of one person who beat their target time. Everyone else I spoke to was off by at least a few minutes. At full fitness, what would your target have been?

Last Year I did a 3:19. With almost no base to run from. This year I had a good base and I'm 100 times fitter and stronger. Was targeting a 3:05-3:10. But,its no use crying over spilled milk. There's always other races next year.

Last Year I did a 3:19. With almost no base to run from. This year I had a good base and I'm 100 times fitter and stronger. Was targeting a 3:05-3:10. But,its no use crying over spilled milk. There's always other races next year.

Eish, I can sense your frustration. Can't be much worse than having the ideal prep only to catch a bug the week of the race. Sorry dude. That would have been a smoking time but explains why you still managed such an impressive time whilst being off-colour. Come down and race PMB in Feb/March, I think it's actually a quicker course.

Eish, I can sense your frustration. Can't be much worse than having the ideal prep only to catch a bug the week of the race. Sorry dude. That would have been a smoking time but explains why you still managed such an impressive time whilst being off-colour. Come down and race PMB in Feb/March, I think it's actually a quicker course.

I might just do that. Kaapsehoop is a fast run, but jeez, you are feeling it afterwards. My legs are so sore.. :lol:

I might just do that. Kaapsehoop is a fast run, but jeez, you are feeling it afterwards. My legs are so sore.. :lol:

I don't think I've ever felt like this after a marathon before. It was pretty funny seeing how many people were limping around the parking lot at Milly's yesterday.

How was your race Barry?

I was really happy with it. It was a tricky one to plan as I normally prefer a simple negative split but after seeing the finish hills on Friday realised I was going to have to bank time instead. I was aiming for a batch time and when I hit those last ascents I realised I was cutting it fine so I really had an uncomfortable flat-out push from the crest to the stadium to sneak in.

My wife and I always run our marathons together and I was a bit worried about her this time as she missed five weeks due to ITB. She was on the pace the whole way but really started struggling at about 36km when her legs ran out of training miles. She told me to push on at the bottom of that last climb as she had nothing left. She did manage to pull it back over the hill though, only to mistake the timing boards on the parked lead cars near the finish as the race time boards. Her tired eyes glanced up, read the end numbers and thought she'd missed the batch time completely so she stopped sprinting and jogged to the line. She ended up missing the batch window by 4 seconds. I'm getting a lot of mileage out of that brain fart.

I need some shoe advice please.

I have been running with New Balance 880's since 2012 without any problems, except that on my last pair I only got 550km on them :-(  

I really don't want to change shoe brands but I can't pay 2k and only get 500 odd km's out of the shoes, that's crazy.

What other options do I have?

I have been running with New Balance 880's since 2012 without any problems, except that on my last pair I only got 550km on them :-(  

I really don't want to change shoe brands but I can't pay 2k and only get 500 odd km's out of the shoes, that's crazy.

Nike Pegasus..

I was really happy with it. It was a tricky one to plan as I normally prefer a simple negative split but after seeing the finish hills on Friday realised I was going to have to bank time instead. I was aiming for a batch time and when I hit those last ascents I realised I was cutting it fine so I really had an uncomfortable flat-out push from the crest to the stadium to sneak in.

My wife and I always run our marathons together and I was a bit worried about her this time as she missed five weeks due to ITB. She was on the pace the whole way but really started struggling at about 36km when her legs ran out of training miles. She told me to push on at the bottom of that last climb as she had nothing left. She did manage to pull it back over the hill though, only to mistake the timing boards on the parked lead cars near the finish as the race time boards. Her tired eyes glanced up, read the end numbers and thought she'd missed the batch time completely so she stopped sprinting and jogged to the line. She ended up missing the batch window by 4 seconds. I'm getting a lot of mileage out of that brain fart.

Ah man, that sucks. Its because of the late start, they should've sync it with our late start. I hate that last little uphill from the N4 around the Stadium.

Nike Pegasus..

I have a pair of pegasus in Black size 10.5 with 23km's on that i am selling for R850. Lovely and light, just not working with my lazy running style

post-46817-0-57196600-1509950356_thumb.jpg

https://www.bikehub.co.za/index.php?app=hubmarket&module=core&do=view_item&item_id=277314&new=1

Edited by ScottC-M