ScottCM

I did try the LCHF dieet a long time ago when I was still cycling, but only for a short while. But haven't tried it with running. Just wanna find out if it really gives you a boost or help you as much as the threads are saying.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

can't see that the output while running is low enough to use fat alone, but then again my 2c.

I also happen to believe diets are the best business plan...

I've tried a lot of diets, it's fun experimenting with it and seeing how your body reacts.

I felt terrible when on LCHF.

I've now been vegetarian for 3 or 4 months. Eating ALL the carbs and loving it. I've honestly never felt better.

I've tried a lot of diets, it's fun experimenting with it and seeing how your body reacts.

I felt terrible when on LCHF.

I've now been vegetarian for 3 or 4 months. Eating ALL the carbs and loving it. I've honestly never felt better.

I Felt the same while on LCHF when I was still cycling many moons ago. Thought it will be different in running. And I still like my Beer a lot :whistling: . So I cant cut back on those :thumbdown:

Think I must just train harder lol

I did try the LCHF dieet a long time ago when I was still cycling, but only for a short while. But haven't tried it with running. Just wanna find out if it really gives you a boost or help you as much as the threads are saying.

I suppose it differs from person to person - for ME it is working wonderfully.  No wall hitting, no nothing.  Can do up to 50 km (running) on only water, no carb loading etc. 

If you want more we can continue on email should you wish.

Edited by Pieter-za

I suppose it differs from person to person - for ME it is working wonderfully.  No wall hitting, no nothing.  Can do up to 50 km on only water, no carb loading etc. 

If you want more we can continue on email should you wish.

The reading and science behind it makes for a compelling argument. Even lean people have enough energy in their fat reserves to last for days of activity. If you can tap into that zone its an absolute winner.

As you say everyone is different, I really wanted it to work for me, but at the time I just didn't gel.

So I don't really feel like doing this 'report' as the only thing worth mentioning is that I didn't finish. From about 9km I could feel that I developed blisters on the balls of both feet, pushed through to 24km where I found first aiders. They tried to sort it out but 300m down the road, it just didn't make sense to torture myself over and above the anticipated torture of a marathon. The cause of the blisters - morning temperatures that caused excessive sweating and my feet just couldn't handle it. I have since forced myself to start running in December again. My bike misses me.

Everything else was fine - no cramps, no pain elsewhere, no ITB issues. Just disappointment.

So sorry to hear about your bad marathon experience. Did you perhaps spray water on your legs? Were your running shoes wet? 

This year I also had my first ever blister at Comrades - I have never had issues with blisters. It was a blood blister underneath my foot. When I took off my shoe at half way, it was just blood everywhere, I just had to suck it up and finish. To this day I still don't know why this happened. 

Don't feel upset about your experience - learn from it. You don't know what can happen on the day. 

Pieter what is your pb for marathon on LCHF?

Lexx what is your pb marathon?

Hi Dave - I am no speed merchant, it is 4:12, but I hope to get under 4h end January.

(I ran a 1:42 half mar a couple of weeks ago)

Kaapsehoop race – I was really looking forward to this one. I haven’t run a proper 42 race (excl Ironman and Comrades) since Johnson Crane in Jan so I was looking forward to seeing how my training has been coming along. My 21 times have been slowly improving so sub 4 was my goal – Johnson time was 4:21.

I knew this was a downhill run, so I’ve been focussing on improving downhill speed because my knees have been a lifelong battle. I also decided to really just go for it. Too many times I’ve negative splitted or finished with too much in the tank so this was the race to try no holds barred.

My groin strain was still hanging around on the day, it forced me to shorten my stride a bit on the one side not to overextend my leg which (actually) I think really helped upping my cadence on the downs so running felt fine.

Firstly – perfect weather, I think we were really lucky with the cool start, and bit of cloud cover for some of the morning. Secondly – and I hear this wasn’t the case at the back of the race, but the water stations were amazing! No jokes for 42 kms there seemed to be 42 stations.

First 21kms were a dream, super fast downs, I saw later on but I beat my 21km PB by 6 mins. 25km to 30km I hit my first wall, mentally I just drifted badly. 30 to 35 I bounced back – Coke and crème soda combos worked wonders.. Last 5 km’s the wheels came off. I was absolutely empty. Those final few hills just crushed me.

Crossed the line and I lay on the side of the finishing chute for almost an hour trying to regain some bodily functions. Finished in 3:41 so I’m over the moon with my time. Sub 4 has been a dream for 3 years now. Hammies and quads are ridiculous stiff now, knees still clicking and popping but feeling ok. 

Well done, thats a great time!!

I was hoping for a Sub 4hr but came in at 4:14 (previous marathon best was 4:35). It was my first Kaapsehoop Marathon and went out WAY too quick - came through 21km in 1:47 and then the wheels started falling off from 28km as the rolling hills began. Think a combination of the early morning/little sleep/poor nutrition sapped my legs and the downhills schooled me big time. The stiffness in the front of my legs was another level the next day and had a blue to nail, hahah.

The race was very well organised and I was impressed with all the water points (which were needed especially when the day started heating up). 

I have entered Johnson Crane marathon next year Jan to hopefully run a smarter race and get a sub 4hr (D batch seeding for Comrades).

Edited by Gringo111

The plan was 70.3 in 2019. I am postponing it to 2020.

I also found a swimming coach in Fourways, obviously, I can swim, but swimming in open water is a different story. 

My biggest obstacle at the moment is time. I still don't know how some people do it with a full-time job etc. I will have to cut down on my working hours, that is going to be an interesting discussion with the bosses... 

Hacc, I can manage 10 to 11 hours a week quite easily, but it is quite a sacrifice. You will be able to do great with 10 hours a week. I don't watch a lot of TV or spend much time on social media, the time with my friends is very limited, and I don't work very long hours. A lot of that time is spent training on the weekends (long ride + long run). The intensity is quite high though, and any free time I have I generally use to sleep or spend time with hubs. 

I am planning some open water swims with my tri group/training partner in December. If you are interested, let me know and I'll keep you in the loop when we are swimming. We will probably swim at Cradle Moon. To get over your open water difficulties, you just need some time in the water. I would suggest a wetsuit as it will help you feel more comfortable at the start. If you don't have one, it's not a requirement. 

Then we don't believe you! [emoji23]

Ha ha ha ha I know. But that year I also ran a 7:44 Comrades. Also without strava. You see, since I've been using strava my times haven't gotten any better. Lol

I did Ironman 2017 on low carb high protein and ran a 4hr marathon in PE

Initially I was really concerned with changing my diet to LCHP (Jan 2017) and whether I would be able to complete an ironman with minimal to no carbs.  Even discussed with a nutritionist how best to do this.  Tried revised plan at EL and then modified for PE.

First 3-4 weeks were the hardest, carb withdrawals, headaches and dehydration, body also feeling flat.  After that started to improve, feel good, lost more weight (mostly body fat, dropped from 21% to 10%). Regained fitness, endurance and power.  Can happily ride 100km on water alone and go for a 25km early morning run, no breakfast and no water.

So for me is working (or made it to work based on becoming pre-diabetic) and like Pieter says, it works for some, I have some friends who tried and did not work for them.