ScottCM

I had the same Incident a couple years ago, but it was on the side of my knee. The doc said to take it easy for a couple of days, because as my knee bend, the stitches stretch as well. So I just took 2 days off, and started running again. You must actually charge the owner for a new pair of running shoes as well... :thumbup:  

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes definitely charge him for new shoes, or ask him if he has insurance and put in a proper claim for pain and ptsd.???? This is my biggest fear, I run early mornings, 4ish. Wont even see a dog charging from the dark.

What dog btw? I have proper pepper spray, but forget to take it most of the time. Doubt if it will stop a dog though.

Completely off topic...

Went for my run this morning... people open their gate to reverse out. See a blur out of the corner of my eye and something knocked into the back of my legs. I turn around and see a dog charging at me. Grabbed him, he grabbed my hand. I strangled him, he pissed on me and my shoes.

Now I'm waiting for dr to open so that I can go for my shots. Hurs like a motherf$^/r.

Then take the nice people the bill for the dr...

Now I still need to run some more this afternoon and I think tomorrow's cycle will be uncomfortable with a sore hand...

[emoji58]

Any advice for dealing with this in future? What do you guys do?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Geez, that's one way to ruin a run. Was the owner at least apologetic? My wife had a similar incident and the owner was completely obnoxious about it. I think people don't know how to react when their dog bites someone, probably a mixture of embarrassment and defensiveness.

The thing with running shoes is that technology and desigs are constantly changing. 

Agreed, and that's my regular argument with Gordon (gotta love a store owner that you can have a good natured dispute with). It's been a few years since he stocked Adidas and shoe companies do tend to go through phases of development. The boost material has been brilliant and has proven to provide one of the highest energy returns on the market. I think only the Zoom Fly and one of the Altras has higher energy return. 

I know one of Gordon's gripes was also the support. Adidas focuses most of its sales on the sport/fashion sector. As a result, they consistently under stock shoes like the Boston Boost. Within three months of a colourway being released, it's almost impossible to find my size anywhere. Gordon's argument is that if someone comes into his shop for shoes and he doesn't have availability of that person's size, he's probably going to lose that customer for good.

My feet are also a bit wonky and very narrow. In the salesmans defence he was only dissing my entry level Adidas shoe for my type of feet, not the brand as a whole.

He explained things to me very thoroughly and wasn't trying to sell me any particular brand or the most expensive shoe. That gave me confidence.

I don't actually know where else to go in Jozi. The people at Sportsmans warehouse and Total Sports are dismal to put it mildly.

I've only ever had good experiences at The Sweat Shop in Dunkeld. Their staff are knowledgable (all of them seem to be dedicated runners, even the weekend support staff) and quick to help, although Saturday mornings can be a bit tricky due to the number of customers.

Geez, that's one way to ruin a run. Was the owner at least apologetic? My wife had a similar incident and the owner was completely obnoxious about it. I think people don't know how to react when their dog bites someone, probably a mixture of embarrassment and defensiveness.

Ja they were very appologetic about it. Lady cleaned up my hand and gave me something to drink then they dropped me at home.

Also going to cover dr bills.

Completely off topic...

Went for my run this morning... people open their gate to reverse out. See a blur out of the corner of my eye and something knocked into the back of my legs. I turn around and see a dog charging at me. Grabbed him, he grabbed my hand.

I strangled him, he pissed on me and my shoes.

Now I'm waiting for dr to open so that I can go for my shots. Hurs like a motherf$^/r.

Then take the nice people the bill for the dr...

Now I still need to run some more this afternoon and I think tomorrow's cycle will be uncomfortable with a sore hand...

[emoji58]

Any advice for dealing with this in future? What do you guys do?

What happened to the dog?

Hope the injury is not to serious

I don’t run much in SA anymore, but this has happened to me before many years ago and now days when I see an opening gate the first thing I do is move to the other side of the road which gives a few seconds to react.....and if a dog charges I pick up or pretend to pick up a stone..... for some reasons MOST dogs treat this action with caution and stop short....

What happened to the dog?

Hope the injury is not to serious

I don’t run much in SA anymore, but this has happened to me before many years ago and now days when I see an opening gate the first thing I do is move to the other side of the road which gives a few seconds to react.....and if a dog charges I pick up or pretend to pick up a stone..... for some reasons MOST dogs treat this action with caution and stop short....

Dog will probably need to go for shots as well [emoji16]

They locked him in the back... " first time ever he does this"....

I'll remember your advise if this happens again! Thanks!

Dog will probably need to go for shots as well [emoji16]

They locked him in the back... " first time ever he does this"....

I'll remember your advise if this happens again! Thanks!

Haha “first time” sounds typical

Glad the dog survived

Trying to run faster than the dog is good speed training but you always loose unless it’s a bulldog... they give up after a few seconds

Haha “first time” sounds typical

Glad the dog survived

Trying to run faster than the dog is good speed training but you always loose unless it’s a bulldog... they give up after a few seconds

????????

Ja shame... he should be fine!

Edited by g3n151d3

I know one of Gordon's gripes was also the support. Adidas focuses most of its sales on the sport/fashion sector. As a result, they consistently under stock shoes like the Boston Boost. Within three months of a colourway being released, it's almost impossible to find my size anywhere. Gordon's argument is that if someone comes into his shop for shoes and he doesn't have availability of that person's size, he's probably going to lose that customer for good.

It cant be easy to own a dedicated running shop. You can loose a customer to guys like Poobies in no time. They seem to have stock of everything in all the colours and sizes.

It cant be easy to own a dedicated running shop. You can loose a customer to guys like Poobies in no time. They seem to have stock of everything in all the colours and sizes.

Service is the differentiator. Which is why places like Randburg Runner and Sweat Shop carry a good rep. 

No service / knowledge at Sportsmans Warehouse / Total Sports, who can only compete on price/range/fashion. However a shop like Poobies has price/range covered with no big mall / franchise overheads. Which leave fashion to the mall based shops to compete with...

Hopefully just the right motivation to get running again as I am doing NOTHING and my qualifying marathon is a month away. Dont even want to think about what the itb is going to do with the amounts I will have to throw at it this month.

Which Brooks are those, look similar to the Ravenna.

I've just bought my second pair of Brooks (Ravenna 8's), after running in Asics for so many years I really enjoy the Brook's

Edited by SwissVan

The last few weeks I came to realise how effective really slow easy runs are. From the beginning of December all my long runs were +-30s/km slower compared to the rest of the year. I could run more and for the first time in ages Im not injured. Normally I was buggered for days after my long runs. On top of that my 5km TT time came down by 33s, without me doing any speed work what so ever.

Thanks to whoever gave that advice ????

The last few weeks I came to realise how effective really slow easy runs are. From the beginning of December all my long runs were +-30s/km slower compared to the rest of the year. I could run more and for the first time in ages Im not injured. Normally I was buggered for days after my long runs. On top of that my 5km TT time came down by 33s, without me doing any speed work what so ever.

Thanks to whoever gave that advice

Running is a game of patience yeah! Just put in the time, the results will happen by themselves. 

Also, overseas runners are apparently confused by the general ZA runners. We run too fast when we should run slow, and run too slow when we are supposed to run fast. Which leads to my observation of the general ZA runner (long distance - because that is all we do in ZA; distance uber alles) being a one paced slogger. 

Hilarious and very sad to see people slogging at their usual ultra pace on an athletics track when they are doing intervals..