ScottCM

Pirates was awesome. I had to walk two of the hills but clapped a few sub 5 min km in the end to come in at 1h50

Wow, that is snappy for that course, well done

Edited by Craai

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Avoid buses...

Oh.. And.. Avoid buses

Did I mention to avoid buses?

Have I mentioned that last year with our first Omtom, we ended up at the bottom of little chappies behind the 6:30 bus.   Quickly identifying how the driver negotiated the climbs and obviously knowing the route, we stuck with them.   When I had a look again we were at the top of Chappies, nicely negotiated, what a blessing for us on the maiden voyage...   hahaha

That said, I waived farewell to that same buss steamrolling down the other side of Chappies...

Avoid buses... Run your own way that your are used to.

When was your first walk? You need to walk.. Even if it's just for 30 secs while you getting water... Definitely for the second half.

Did you have food? Very important to fuel your muscles

Oh.. And.. Avoid buses

Did I mention to avoid buses?

Thanks, I was also thinking of that, cause my plan was to start around 5:30/km.  I recon I thought it will be good not to be on my own.

I feel the nutrition was good, very happy with what I did there, so will stick tot that at this stage.

The bus did make us walk, which kind of took me by surprise, cause I wasn't expecting that, I think it was around 7km, if I am not mistake, 45sec walk, and then every 7km from there.

Will give that joining busses a second thought next time round

Thanks, I was also thinking of that, cause my plan was to start around 5:30/km. I recon I thought it will be good not to be on my own.

I feel the nutrition was good, very happy with what I did there, so will stick tot that at this stage.

The bus did make us walk, which kind of took me by surprise, cause I wasn't expecting that, I think it was around 7km, if I am not mistake, 45sec walk, and then every 7km from there.

Will give that joining busses a second thought next time round

See my problem with bus walk routines is that they are time based so you walk at unnecessary times... Like flats and even downhills. Sometimes you are feeling good and a walk breaks your rythmn. Walks are important but when your want them not when someone dictates it.

I learnt the hard way this comrades when I was aiming for an 8:30 and the 8:30 bus passed me just before westville. I panicked and joined them. I left them at Cato ridge.. But their strategy stuffed me up for the flats and I needed to recover. I ended up only coming in ten minutes after them and they missed the target by 5... If I had run my race I think I would have made it

Hi All

I did the Peninsula yesterday.  Is was my 3 marathon, and first one that I trained for.  As I've been told, a marathon starts at 32km's, because that is where the pain sets in, mine started at 36km yesterday.  I tried to run, but the legs was just dead, body felt fine, ie, didn't bonk or anything like that, legs just didn't want to go.

4.  When the pain/dead legs started, did I maybe just quit to soon, and can I say because I do not have the experience yet with a lot of marathons, I just had to push through, or is it maybe my mental strength not being there?

I may be far off the mark here.. Apologies if I am.

This reminded me of my own numb/dead legs during a run (or cycle, or anything really)

Look up Mortons Neuroma. I had a numbing which started with my outside toes, which went to my forefoot, and then everything around and below the ankle. 

As with you, legs felt fine, but they just lost all feeling. 

Its a really easy fix luckily.

On Saturday morning I did a 23km run, felt fine. Sunday morning I got up to do an easy run, first steps out of the door and my right Achilles was stiff and painful as hell. Thought it would go away but after 2km I stopped. Don’t understand the sudden onset, didn’t do anything funny, shoe wise etc. This morning I can feel its not happy. Really concerned about it???? Not the time to get injured.

Did you do the 23km run in your new Hoka shoes?

See my problem with bus walk routines is that they are time based so you walk at unnecessary times... Like flats and even downhills. Sometimes you are feeling good and a walk breaks your rythmn. Walks are important but when your want them not when someone dictates it.

I learnt the hard way this comrades when I was aiming for an 8:30 and the 8:30 bus passed me just before westville. I panicked and joined them. I left them at Cato ridge.. But their strategy stuffed me up for the flats and I needed to recover. I ended up only coming in ten minutes after them and they missed the target by 5... If I had run my race I think I would have made it

+1

You haven't trained with the bus

You haven't sat, looked at the route, studied the route profile with the bus and worked out a strategy to play to your strong suits and carry you on your weak points. 

Bottom line- individual sport you should learn yourself and your pacing when training and ultimately run your own race.

Look at Western states last year, Walmsley went off like a cat on a hot tin roof, Sandes waited patiently, ran his own race, paced himself how he thought best and when Walmsley blew up Sandes was there, still strong and ready to pounce. Run your own race!

So who's doing the Sunrise Monster next weekend?

Slightly nervous, never done it before.

I will be doing the 32km for a second time.  The route is hilly, very hilly.  However, both the Tuks and the Deloitte marathon run over the very same hills, so I just see it as a LSD but 10km shorter than a really tough race.....

Look at Western states last year, Walmsley went off like a cat on a hot tin roof, Sandes waited patiently, ran his own race, paced himself how he thought best and when Walmsley blew up Sandes was there, still strong and ready to pounce. Run your own race!

This was an awesome race, was admittedly sad for Jim, but great for our man

Well, they got the name right; it is a monster, 600m odd of elevation

post-42568-0-50018100-1519049415_thumb.jpg

+1

You haven't trained with the bus

You haven't sat, looked at the route, studied the route profile with the bus and worked out a strategy to play to your strong suits and carry you on your weak points. 

Bottom line- individual sport you should learn yourself and your pacing when training and ultimately run your own race.

I agree 100%

I think the idea is that in the past I just went out to fast, so tried to rather go slow.  The other thing is, like with OMTOM this year, it will be my first, so not knowing at all how I will feel where one would want to do it with a bus, thinking they know how.

Maybe some tips on OMTOM, for those that have done it, on strategies?

At this stage I am only thinking what to do over chappies and Constantia nek, not knowing how to manage it before that.

I have done it once... It is a gruesome route, but excellent training. Be careful of injuries, take it as a training run. It really hurts... especially the downhills. 

Just a few pointers I got from a few experienced runners from my club with regards to 'busses':

1) A lot of people have a target finishing time in mind and panic when the bus with their desired time comes past and overtakes them. Thinking you behind time and playing catch up is the worst thing you can do. Often these buses stop and slow down at irregular times so don't be fooled. Stay calm and stick to your race strategy.

2) It is ideal to hop onto a bus for a short period of time when you battling with pace or hurting. It can help with a bit of rhythm and encourage you to run for a longer period.

3) The bus drivers are normally experienced runners so don't be surprised when they up the tempo/pace to play catch up if the race isn't going as planned for them - you could be left behind without a bus driver.

4) At bigger ultra marathons like Comrades, try get to the front of your batch and stay on the outskirts either side. Often people get caught behind a big bus in the beginning of a race and battle to pass.

5) Stick to and trust your own race plan. Dont stop unnecessarily because you following a bus. Listen to your body.

Hope my 2cents helps..

I agree 100%

I think the idea is that in the past I just went out to fast, so tried to rather go slow.  The other thing is, like with OMTOM this year, it will be my first, so not knowing at all how I will feel where one would want to do it with a bus, thinking they know how.

Maybe some tips on OMTOM, for those that have done it, on strategies?

At this stage I am only thinking what to do over chappies and Constantia nek, not knowing how to manage it before that.

The only advice I remember from my first OMTOM is to take the first 28km easy. It is flat and fast and you do feel like you are going too slow. If you go out too fast you will regret it in the second half. Chappies is not too bad. You start losing personality going through Houtbay at the 42km mark. There are lots of support on the route and it helps you mentally. Just keep moving.

Constantia Nek is very tough. I normally try a walk / run strategy up Constantia, but you will see lots of runners just walking up Constantia Nek, don't let this discourage you. The downhill after the Constantia Nek climb really hurts due to the bad camber.  Take it easy on the downhill. Luckily there are lots of trees and you have about 8kms to go. The last 2 km is a climb that breaks me every year. Hearing the announcer and the support at the end helps. 

Most importantly: LOOK OUT FOR THE CAT EYES!! It is really bad on the downhill after the Chappies climb... I see people fall every single year. So pay attention to the downhills.