ScottCM

Nope not a marathon for me...maybe one day..I have aspirations to run 2 Oceans Ultra for my 50 (which is next year, so maybe I better "man up")

Still chasing that elusive sub 2 for a 21km.  Did 2:03.  Strange thing is, I will happily consider running a long trail run and do a 2 day trail run event,  but must admit that 42km on tar turns me into a "chicken" :blush:.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Frosty, maybe you could , if you don't mind, share your couch to 10km program here? That way I might help a fellow aspiring sub60 runner in the future, in fact I'm pretty sure there are some silent followers of this thread currently that would want to follow such a proven program. 

Also, once you demolished your event come back and give us a journey (from Day 1 to Race Day) report please. I'm sure many will be able to relate and connect with your story and share your achievement with you. 

Will drop the program here later.

As for the progress report... just need to capture yesterday’s run and I’m up to date.

edit: here is the program.

I created "workout" files in Garmin Connect, and sent these to my calendar. When selecting the training section of the device, I select the workout for each day. Currently, I'm trying to do a Tue/Thu/Sun every week, but occasionally end up doing Wed/Fri/Sun or Mon/Wed/Sun.

I.t.o. the Day 1 to Race Day report - 2 weeks to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 14-week 0-10K running plan that I am following has been attached to the reply.

Been keen to try these for a while now... anybody know the brand well. I currently run in Asics Nimbus, any of these similar? Neutral... with a similar heel drop (not sure that's possible though with the Hokas)

I run with Asics Nimbus and tried the Hoka Clifton 3. I suffered from calf pain with the Hoka's. There is a massive difference in the heel drop. 

As discussed before it is a good idea to switch between the different heel drops. 

I am a bit scared at the moment of injuries, but I will give the Hokas another try after Comrades.

PS. The Hokas are more comfortable and feels lighter than the Asics Nimbus.

Edited by Hacc

That is super fast.... Im still pissed using a coach since Nov 2016,and I haven't progressed a single bit, as a matter of fact, I think I got one PB under him. Which is terrible. So a friend suggested I join her at this guy that is training them. And I've only been with them for almost 2 weeks, but I can feel the difference immediately. Much more structured training I am used to. Which is a good thing. Hopefully that will transpire into a better Comrades time than last year...

Just saw another one of the runners here did a 3h marathon

On the weekend.

Seriously fast guys here 656391e20519e502951577bb291f70b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 second a kilometer off a sub 3... that's gotta hurt

Been keen to try these for a while now... anybody know the brand well. I currently run in Asics Nimbus, any of these similar? Neutral... with a similar heel drop (not sure that's possible though with the Hokas)

I went from Nimbus to Clifton 3's, I'm now on to Clifton 4's.

I find them chalk and cheese. Hoka is way more cushioned (obviously - but I really felt it), felt much lighter depsite the clown-like size and probably the reduced shoe structure - I don't need the stability so that wasn't an issue, and I didn't really notice any lasting effects from the change in drop either. 

I tried on a pair of the new nimbus's (nimbuses? nimbi?) the other day and it felt like I was wearing a pair of concrete slabs. 

I went from Nimbus to Clifton 3's, I'm now on to Clifton 4's.

I find them chalk and cheese. Hoka is way more cushioned (obviously - but I really felt it), felt much lighter depsite the clown-like size and probably the reduced shoe structure - I don't need the stability so that wasn't an issue, and I didn't really notice any lasting effects from the change in drop either.

I tried on a pair of the new nimbus's (nimbuses? nimbi?) the other day and it felt like I was wearing a pair of concrete slabs.

The cushioning on the Cliftons are way different than anything Im used to. Its got a lot of cushion, but it is structured cushioning. You dont feel your feet sinking into the foam, or experience any excess pronation that you might get from cushioning that is too soft.

Even the Nike Pegasus feels softer underfoot than the Clifton. I think the main reason people love Hokas is b because it gives all the cushioning you need, while maintaining a solid structure/support.

1 second a kilometer off a sub 3... that's gotta hurt

Haha, That's me...

Nah the plan was always a 3h10 Training Run.. We went through halfway in 93.40 and then gradually picked it up..

We were never clock watching or particularly chasing Sub3 until the last km and then even a 3.35 last km wasn't enough.

Love that route and race.. best tester in JHB to get you ready for Two Oceans.

Haha, That's me...

Nah the plan was always a 3h10 Training Run.. We went through halfway in 93.40 and then gradually picked it up..

We were never clock watching or particularly chasing Sub3 until the last km and then even a 3.35 last km wasn't enough.

Love that route and race.. best tester in JHB to get you ready for Two Oceans.

Haha... lekker Ferret. Glad it wasn't some guy chasing his first sub 3

3hr Marathon training run... like I said, you guys are animals  :eek: