ScottCM

I seriously don't know how you guys manage to find time to train. Early mornings??

Luckily I'm not in the Comrades game, or not yet anyway. So a high mileage week is at most 90km, which will take up 8-8.5hr of my week. To fit that in with the various home/work commitments takes some very careful planning and sacrifices. And with no babysitters (as is currently the case with us) it is almost impossible.

Used to be up at 4:55 and in the shower at 6:15... Leaving the house at 6:55

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoy looking at the stats of other runners whether male or female. I'm not trying to be like anyone or achieve things that others have already accomplished. I just wanna get to the end and say that I have done what I had set out to do. If I place anywhere, like somewhere around last(seems far easier than first LOL), who really cares? I certainly don't. Running is a beast that is surely so taxing that more often than not, people ask themselves why they are doing it. I would much rather be on my bike but with the way our mates are victims of accidents, I prefer the 'safety' that running offers. My only 'goal' right now is to rock up at Oceans, do a sub 6 run if I'm feeling good, sub 530 if I'm feeling better, and if I'm feeling worse beating cut-off will suffice. The colour of the medal changes but once again, who really cares?

Used to be up at 4:55 and in the shower at 6:15... Leaving the house at 6:55

I think the biggest mistake I made was to convince my wife to run marathons and ultra as well, and becoming her running partner as well..

I guess we are lucky in a sense that I work for a SOC and work is at minimum at the moment (and they allow flexi time as well). So we drop the kids off at school at about 7:20. 7:30 we hit the road and do anything from 10km-15km. 9ísh I'm at work.

Thick snow and super minus temps... Guess I'll be having an easy week this week!

That’s also my strategy this week, looks like from Sunday the max temp will hit 11 degC, what a bargain ????

So this Weekend has

Sunrise Monster 32km

Hot Legs 32km

Vaal 42/21 Km

Whos doing any of them?

Carpet, you ready for your first marathon on Sunday?

Nervous definitely, specially after I saw on the website that you will not be allowed to start the second half after 8:30.

"Marathon runners will not be permitted to start second lap of 42.2 km distance after 08h30."

Start is 6:00 to 6:10 and I wanted to start after the initial rush. Which then means if I am aiming for a 5 hour run I will most likely be at half way around 8:30. I don't want to cut it to close so I guess I will have to start as close to 6 as I can.

My aim was also 1500km, but it seems that I will have to cut back. But the difference between 1000 and 1500 is massive. Surely it will have a big impact on race day?

Rather have less training km's and better healthy and injury free than have more and have niggles. The above distances are sweet spots for the majority of runner running the Comrades. Think the key is good quality training over quantity. Also rest when you not feeling 100%, dont feel like you falling behind.

I know runners that ran Comrades with 300km of training and finished. One of our top runners did 3000km 2 years ago and completely bonked on the day and finished in 11:30.

If you look at the Comrades Marathon Runners Strava group the top 50 people ran more than 110 km last week, with the first guy running 200km. There is no way that with my current work situation (and my current avg speed) I would be able to run 200km in one week. I also don't compare myself with these runners... Yes, I do envy them for being able to run that amount of kms and at that pace.

Do not compare yourself to anyone else. Life happens, injuries happen. 

I do agree that your peak month should be the end of March /  April. My longest run will be on the 1st of May, the RAC 60km long run. That will be almost 6 weeks before Comrades. 

Also a lot of people focus on distance run which is actually irrelevant. Rather focus on TIME. Time on the legs is what you need for Ultra Marathons. No use doing a 42km run in 3:30mins and then think you ready for Comrades...

Also a lot of people focus on distance run which is actually irrelevant. Rather focus on TIME. Time on the legs is what you need for Ultra Marathons. No use doing a 42km run in 3:30mins and then think you ready for Comrades...

Interesting perspective, so if we use the "Normal" figure of km's required is stated round the 1000km mark, what will the "Normal" hours on the legs be? 100 - 120 Hours from Jan to Race Day?

So this Weekend has

Sunrise Monster 32km

Hot Legs 32km

Vaal 42/21 Km

Whos doing any of them?

Carpet, you ready for your first marathon on Sunday?

Hot Legs 32 LSD training run

I'm currently adapting Lindsey Parry's training plans to something halfway between his Bill Rowan and Silver plans. If anybody else wants the Excel file once I've set it up, let me know.

I also keep a column that multiplies the distance run that week by about R3.00. That gives you the opportunity to deposit a relative amount of cash into a separate account at the end of each week based on your mileage so that once you've worn through your shoes, socks and shorts (multiple times on the way to Comrades), you've got a cash stash to buy a new pair.

Edited by Barry Stuart

I know runners that ran Comrades with 300km of training and finished. One of our top runners did 3000km 2 years ago and completely bonked on the day and finished in 11:30.

If you look at the Comrades Marathon Runners Strava group the top 50 people ran more than 110 km last week, with the first guy running 200km. There is no way that with my current work situation (and my current avg speed) I would be able to run 200km in one week. I also don't compare myself with these runners... Yes, I do envy them for being able to run that amount of kms and at that pace.

Do not compare yourself to anyone else. Life happens, injuries happen. 

I do agree that your peak month should be the end of March /  April. My longest run will be on the 1st of May, the RAC 60km long run. That will be almost 6 weeks before Comrades. 

HACC, it is not that they are running the 200km in a week - they are doing it week in week out - go look at the km they have run since 1st Jan. A couple of them are on over 1100km already and the pace is quick. That load is serious, and you have to have a machine body to manage that. If they make it through to race day, they will fly (6h30). It is unlikely that they will though. 

Like all training, genetics and history play a large part in how you should train and what your body can handle.