ScottCM

Thanks, Andrew, you are absolutely right.

Doing too much now can cause injuries or more off days. 

I am seriously between a rock and a hard place at the moment. I guess I am going to follow Bruce's "rather be undertrained than overtrained" strategy.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So far this year it has been one problem after the other. Started the year off with calf injury. Had many other niggles after that (knee, ankle, hamstring..). Got sick about 3 days before OMTOM, and it took me about 3 weeks to get well. And this weekend I "tweaked" my back, working at home. Extremely frustrating, because something happens everytime I just get going properly... 

Yet, I'm really really looking forward to my trail run in 2.5 weeks time! 

So far this year it has been one problem after the other. Started the year off with calf injury. Had many other niggles after that (knee, ankle, hamstring..). Got sick about 3 days before OMTOM, and it took me about 3 weeks to get well. And this weekend I "tweaked" my back, working at home. Extremely frustrating, because something happens everytime I just get going properly... 

Yet, I'm really really looking forward to my trail run in 2.5 weeks time! 

I feel you. Just been told to stop running. Going to focus on strength and flexibility work over the next few weeks. Have had some really hectic issues with my calves and, now, knee pain. I have decided to be positive about this and take a step back to take a leap forward. I am quite confident it will make me a better runner in the long term. 

CobusV, sorry to hear that you have joined our "feeling very frustrated" club.

I guess all you can do now is to taper and rest well before your race? 

Can someone please post something positive in this thread?? Like a PB, or any other small achievement.  

Just a quick one on this ITB nonsense...    Is there any taping techniques that actually does help relief the symptoms or is all of them nonsense?     If so, can someone please show me how.

Can someone please post something positive in this thread?? Like a PB, or any other small achievement.  

I had 3 x 10km runs (with pain consequences I should add) in the last week, compared to my 56kms the 4 weeks before that, does this count as positive?  LOL    

The life of a runner...

After seeing a lot of people in wheelchairs next to the road at Omtom, supporting, I try to remind myself lately, AT LEAST I can walk/run!   We should always be greatful and find joy in any situation, even the dark ones and stormy ones!     :thumbup:

It really does feel a little bit like this at the moment   :lol:

post-3544-0-55884000-1525337634_thumb.jpg

PS: I'm trying out my new shoes tonight, hope they work, else that will be another problem for my pile  :w00t:

And carboload..

It really does feel a little bit like this at the moment   :lol:

attachicon.gifsport-just_do_it-slogan-sporting_injuries-injuries-work_out-mban2738_low.jpg

PS: I'm trying out my new shoes tonight, hope they work, else that will be another problem for my pile  :w00t:

One positive for me though. I switched trail shoes this year. Moved from Inov8 to Nike. Up to now I've use it three times, not being entirely confident it was the right choice. All 3 runs felt sluggish. But when I used them yesterday it felt like almost a different shoe (they really felt "alive" during yesterday's run). Really comfortable with proper amount of ground feel and cushioning!

Charné Bosman broke her toe and was out for something like a month before she won Comrades. Does that help?

Charné Bosman broke her toe and was out for something like a month before she won Comrades. Does that help?

Did you see Gerda’s story about her layoff before Comrades 2017? Crazy

https://www.findallnews.co.za/sports/two-oceans-golden-girl-gerda-could-become-one-of-sas-greatest-athletes/

Steyn’s dreams of a top ten position for the 2017 Comrades appeared to have evaporated when a stress fracture was diagnosed months before the race. “I did virtually no running in the months before to Comrades,” admitted Steyn. “I could only do non-impact exercises, including pool jogging, and started last year’s Comrades after just two training runs over 30km and 40km!”

Amazingly Steyn achieved her goal, placing 4th in 6:45:45, giving notice of more to come, before preparing for the Valencia Marathon in Spain in December.

Edited by Jackes

Im so looking forward to this weekend..we are off to Weenen to do the Zingela Trail run, a 2 days stage run.  Cant wait! Been counting down for months. :clap: Has anyone here done it??  I believe it can get a little hot in the valley and I dont usually run with a backpack and rely on a water table.

I made the mistake of trying on a pair of Hoka trail shoes this morning...oh my word..sooo comfy! Have to start a serious piggybank fund..one of those that you smash when its full and hope it has enough money in it!

Im so looking forward to this weekend..we are off to Weenen to do the Zingela Trail run, a 2 days stage run.  Cant wait! Been counting down for months. :clap: Has anyone here done it??  I believe it can get a little hot in the valley and I dont usually run with a backpack and rely on a water table.

I made the mistake of trying on a pair of Hoka trail shoes this morning...oh my word..sooo comfy! Have to start a serious piggybank fund..one of those that you smash when its full and hope it has enough money in it!

What size shoes do you wear?

Did you see Gerda’s story about her layoff before Comrades 2017? Crazy

Did you see her time on the 10km at Wally? 35:35... and she came 13th overall! 

Edited by Hacc

I don't want to tempt lightening to strike but so far all my training is going to plan. Nice 3 week build finished off last week with Robor 50km on Sunday which felt easy the whole way. Rest week this week with 8km TT this morning that had me running a time I was very happy with.

All on track currently with another big 3 week block coming up before Comrades. Happy with where my training is.

Positive enough?

Hobbit short run (38kms that ended up being around 42kms in most cases) completed, JOH! brutal race

Hobbit 38km (approximately) Race Report

The weekend started with a 12 hour drive to the hamlet of Hogsback,  (One almost tarred road).  Based on previous knowledge of the region, I decided that I would use the Wittlesea-Fort Beaufort-Alice road and not the "backdoor" Cathcart-Hogsback road, largely because the cathcart road is often heavily rutted and occasionally washed out.  I did not want to risk lengthening the trip or risking losing a sump on the car unnecessarily. (This was over cautious as the road was actually in driveable condition.  Next time I will go to Cathcart and then decide on route based on local knowledge).  THe tar road up to Hogsback was a bit stressful in the dark, as the feral cows like to stand on the warm road as it gets colder in the evenings.  THere were at least three cow inspired road blocks on the way up.

Accomodation organised by Mountain Runner (in conjunction with Arminel Hotel was amazing.  It was very convenient to have sleeping quarters near the start/finish.  Supper on Friday night was at the "Happy Hog".  Although the food was acceptable, my stomach reacted badly and I lost the supper to the white telephone later that night. (Not a good sign).

On Saturday we went off to the Park run on The Edge to loosen up for the big race.  A number of Eastern Cape runners arrived with their Addo Trail Run gear on.  (These guys are machines).  Although we all "agreed" that we were "resting" for the big one the next day, the top times were all under 25 minutes for the 5kms, and next days pecking order was being established.  Breckfast at The Edge was scones and coffee.  The rest of the day was spent faerie hunting with the family.  Supper at the Lighthouse was very good and it was agreed that this would be the place for the after run "party".

Registration the next day was going well until the routine kit check.  "no tape on the rain jacket seems, sir".  "Merrel is selling proper rain jackets over there".  So back up the hill to the room to get the cash and registration is confirmed.  About 90 runners set off down the oad and into the forrest along the gravel road.  First few kms ticked over effortlessly.  Chattered to a old friend from the "Mount Aux Sources" run.  Then off the road onto the single track and the the climbing starts.  The Calf muscles start swelling and the feet go dead.  700m climb in 5km and the first check point.  Hook in with a group of runners.  All is going well until the front pacers suddenly spread out across the path.  Oops, the leader has got us lost, and now his possie is trying to find the red markers.  Eventually we spot on on top of the hill on the other side of the river.  We had missed a river crossing.  So it is now time for trekking on the most direct route to the marker.  A wet river crossing and a steep climb get us back on route, but we lost about 10-15 minutes as a result.  We continue to run the single track to check point two.  Now the group has changed as I have fallen back to run with my old friend.  We form a well knitted group pacing well (scouts pace) until the next feeding station at the waterfall. Now it is the climb to Hobsback ( 780m in 5 km)  The climb is brutal.  There is a "path" which is just markings over rocks.  The group is reduced to two by the top.  Here I leave my friend (She wanted to wait for her cousin ad running partner) and head down hill.  The down hill, although harsh on the legs gives me new motivation and soon I am back to running strongly.  I am quickly overtaking other runners and am clawing my way back into the to 20 position.  A feeding station comes and goes, soon I am on gravel road and my road running training kicks in.  Waterspout falls comes, and I pass a small group and head off onto the forest single track.  Now I smell the finish and start pushing (This was the best part of the race).  Next moment I am on gravel road, the 39 Step falls is to my right and I am across the finish just under 7 hours.  (19th overall).

Post race discussions agree that this is tougher than Rhodes and possibly Mount Aux Source.

-PAXP-deijE.gif

What size shoes do you wear?

I wear a UK 7.5 or 8 depending on the shoe.