ScottCM

Lets not discount the severity of some road surfaces (in Joburg at least...)

This morning I could have done with a light. All but one of the roads had streetlights out, loadshedding or not - they just don't go on anymore. (Granted my night vision seems to be on its way out.)

There are a lot of open/broken access-points sitting mid-road, usual potholes, broken road surfaces - many easy ways to bugger your legs' day...

• Replies 18k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets not discount the severity of some road surfaces (in Joburg at least...)

This morning I could have done with a light. All but one of the roads had streetlights out, loadshedding or not - they just don't go on anymore. (Granted my night vision seems to be on its way out.)

There are a lot of open/broken access-points sitting mid-road, usual potholes, broken road surfaces - many easy ways to bugger your legs' day...

I have recently moved into a new neighbourhood. I have seen some potholes and unusual dips in roads and if you aren't concentrating, you'll be tumbling for sure. I will start my run without light and switch on only if necessary. Lots of roads also have trees blocking the light, so precaution is necessary.

I'm looking for a 2 oceans trail entry for a friend, If anybody is selling one, I will take it.

and pick them up after everyone just chucks them everywhere because that is a part of them 'Working well' and a bigger reason not to have them.

https://www.facebook.com/hanno.langenhoven/posts/10155542780481524

Surely if regions chip in together and each club buys 1 or 2 water tank stations and then they share between events in the long term it will become viable? Or better Yet ASA use some of the licence fees...

From a keyboard or seems practical.. But logistically it would be a nightmare. Having been involved in race organisation can tell you that organising a 5 ton truck plus moving a few of those to each spot on the course would be a real mission. Plus you would need a place to store them that can be shared across all clubs. Then only the clubs that organise big events would be using them... So your big marathons...

Then you will get the backlash... People complaining about having to stop. I personally would hate it. I don't stop at any water tables when I'm in running mode. That would mess with your rhythm.

My take is why not just educate more. Provide more bins and bins further away from the table. Educate runners to educate fellow runners when they see them throwing the sachets. Increase the post race cleanup crew. Introduce post race inspections for litter with fines for the organisers

My take is why not just educate more. Provide more bins and bins further away from the table.

Seems like common sense. But apparently they think everyone drinks their sachets within 5m from the waterpoints.

Bio-degradable water sachets are coming... hopefully they're affordable

What about those 100% consumable water globules? Is the tech still too new to be incorporated into these large scale events?

What about those 100% consumable water globules? Is the tech still too new to be incorporated into these large scale events?

Pretty much the same thing... sachet is made from seaweed, so you can eat it or just drink it.

I think they've already tried them in some big international marathons last year

I'm looking for a 2 oceans trail entry for a friend, If anybody is selling one, I will take it.

If your friend can run a trail run, I am sure they can do the 56km...  ^_^   Still looking for someone to take my 56km off my hands.

Pretty much the same thing... sachet is made from seaweed, so you can eat it or just drink it.

I think they've already tried them in some big international marathons last year

didn't know that! Seaweed sachets? sounds fascinating... time for some reading!

If your friend can run a trail run, I am sure they can do the 56km... ^_^ Still looking for someone to take my 56km off my hands.

Ha ha ha, she didnt qualify. Lol

Well done Deloitte. How much effort and money was put into preparing for this race by runners? Only to get to halfway and bomb out because the organizers are not prepared.

They should just refund everyone to prevent confusion.

Having been directly involved in a number of race event organisation, I can tell you that in most cases on hot days the runners themselves are just as much to blame. Watch how many water sachets some runners take and waste by squirting them over their bodies most of which lands up on the ground or in their shoes....

it’s literally impossible to cater for this, the more water sachets you put out on the tables, the more get grabbed

Really love running at night time, no torch if not with the club as I feel safer. Just don't carry anything you don't need. I wouldn't run alone if I was a female. 

Having been directly involved in a number of race event organisation, I can tell you that in most cases on hot days the runners themselves are just as much to blame. Watch how many water sachets some runners take and waste by squirting them over their bodies most of which lands up on the ground or in their shoes....

it’s literally impossible to cater for this, the more water sachets you put out on the tables, the more get grabbed

It happens at every hot race and 90% of them get it right. Om die Dam as an example has been extremely hot most years - there was nothing new there. It was hotter two years ago FYI

Bottom line, you always cater for extra... 5 water points is not a mistake, it's piss poor planning and they should have been prepared. They knew their entry numbers, they know the conditions, they have taken peoples money and should be adequately prepared.