ScottCM

I did my last long training run yesterday for Comrades

I managed to do the RAC 60 in a time of 5h42 a whole hour quicker than last year.

The first 50km was pretty easy and went by in no time, the last 10 km fatigue set in and I had to work hard to stay within the 5:50min/km pace I planned for the day.

Its pretty sad as my own race predictor indicates a Comrades time of 9h30min based in yesterdays run

• Replies 18k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I did my first half-marathon yesterday (Wally Hayward in Pretoria) which was the longest run I've ever done by almost exactly 7km.

First 12km or so were lekker, had a bit of a "Why am I doing this to myself? I'm sick of here!" moment around 12-13km in but then I pulled myself towards myself and it was lekker again until about 19km at which point everything from my waist down started hurting. Finished in 2:08:30 which I was really happy with but today my calves are f**ked, can barely walk.

At least I know I'll be able to finish the run at Ironman 70.3 in a month's time :thumbup:

Well done!

Pace yourself on the bike and 70.3 is in the bag

Foot better after the two oceans half. Now I know what to do for the next one. Rested it for two weeks and iced often.

Did anyone else see- Walmsley broke Fordice's 1984 50 Mile world record on the weekend 4h50 for 50miles, he then casually ambled to the finish line to finish 100km in 6h55 mins...

And still finished fourth [emoji23].

Did you see his splits on Strava, insane.. But he is still human, at 82-84km his splits was 11min/km :eek:

And still finished fourth [emoji23].

4th and last? Most of the other runners were pacesetters.

Did anyone else see- Walmsley broke Fordice's 1984 50 Mile world record on the weekend 4h50 for 50miles, he then casually ambled to the finish line to finish 100km in 6h55 mins...

Very interesting, someone calculated that David Gatebe ran a 4h43 50 mile during his record breaking Comrades win. Walmsleys run is definitely not the fastests ever. If only Comrades can put a timing mat at 50mi to make it official.

Kipchoge will make another attempt at a sub 2 marathon this year. The Ineos159 challenge will take place in September/October. He really wants that sub2. Wonder what they will do differently compared to the breaking 2 attempt.

Very interesting, someone calculated that David Gatebe ran a 4h43 50 mile during his record breaking Comrades win. Walmsleys run is definitely not the fastests ever. If only Comrades can put a timing mat at 50mi to make it official.

Have a look at the elevation gain as well.  The Comrades down run has 4x the elevation gain of this run of Walmsley.

Kipchoge will make another attempt at a sub 2 marathon this year. The Ineos159 challenge will take place in September/October. He really wants that sub2. Wonder what they will do differently compared to the breaking 2 attempt.

Does that mean he won't participate at Berlin 2019, or that this sub2 attempt will be at Berlin...

Maybe he’ll run on a treadmill this time ????

Does that mean he won't participate at Berlin 2019, or that this sub2 attempt will be at Berlin...

Definitely wont be at Berlin. They are looking at a route similar to Monza.

Would like to see them go for the official record. That would mean no pacer relays and no running behind a car. One thing is certain, Ineos will go all out, the budget will be huge.

Maybe he’ll run on a treadmill this time ????

At max speed my treadmill will only give me a 2h30 marathon. Wont try that any time soon though.

I hope it's at an official marathon. While I liked the first attempt and the story and the hype....I want it to be broken naturally and for the time to count

Edit. Snap!

Edited by Stretch