ScottCM

Foot is extremely sore post marathon.

Going to ice it often. Went for a 5km run yesterday and it was sore. Peroneal bevis and longus tendons. Hope it's not major... I know the camber on the road was really hectic.

"Pain on the side of the foot, whether on the inside or outside, is often due to tendinitis, or inflammation of a tendon. It's usually a result of overuse, such as increasing your mileage too quickly, or improper running shoes. ... Another possible cause of pain on the side of your foot is a stress fracture."

Stabbing pain every time you plant your foot? Could be peronial tendinitis. I had it a while back. Very stubborn injury. Dry needling and physio helped.

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Foot is extremely sore post marathon.

Going to ice it often. Went for a 5km run yesterday and it was sore. Peroneal bevis and longus tendons. Hope it's not major... I know the camber on the road was really hectic.

Perhaps you shouldn't do this again whilst your foot is extremely sore...

Sorry, someone had to say it.

Completely agree.

Never run with anything sore below the knees - rule of thumb I read somewhere. And it makes sense, you aggravate (by compensating) something else if you don't ruin what's causing the initial pain.

Gooday all,

Firstly congrats to all OMTOM finishers this weekend. Good job :thumbup: .

I wanted to reach out and ask if anyone here has ever returned to running following a herniated disk? I was recently diagnosed with a central/spinal canal herniation, but thankfully the neuro does not want to operate. I am taking his advise of 6 months rest (swimming in the meantime to maintain some fitness) but would like some advice as to how to return to running?

I am looking starting very small again. Basically my first run will be 3km at 07:00/km and take it from there? Any other thoughts and/or advice?

Much appreciated

Just out of interest sake, does anyone know the dates for next years Comrades?

The second sunday of June . so that will be 14 June

Gooday all,

Firstly congrats to all OMTOM finishers this weekend. Good job :thumbup: .

I wanted to reach out and ask if anyone here has ever returned to running following a herniated disk? I was recently diagnosed with a central/spinal canal herniation, but thankfully the neuro does not want to operate. I am taking his advise of 6 months rest (swimming in the meantime to maintain some fitness) but would like some advice as to how to return to running?

I am looking starting very small again. Basically my first run will be 3km at 07:00/km and take it from there? Any other thoughts and/or advice?

Much appreciated

Not a doc so not sure about the medical part of your question but as for distance returning, i would rather start slower and base it on time instead of km's 

4min walk , 1 min Run repeat 4 times to give a 20min workout every second day for week 1

3min walk , 2 min run Repeat 4 time  every second day in week 2

2min walk , 3 min run Repeat 4 time every second day in week 3

1min walk , 4 min run Repeat 4 time every second day in week 4

Week 5 Run 20min and then from there build up again. 

I suppose the issue is, if you cycle, you have a heart and lungs that can 'go' but in reality you have useless joints, which generally take a beating when you run. So you start 'short and easy' which registers on the HR and the lungs etc but your muscle density and joint strength is rubbish, so you get niggles and injuries.

Start walking with short jogs thrown in for a few weeks and progress from there.

Mountain goating seams way less strenuous on my knees/hips, but requires a better core and ankle stability. The hills are straight up and straight down, but due to foot placement and the terrain, you don't have the chronic repetition one gets on the road.

For us in the Cape, my advice is to hit the trails and do some flat stuff on the beach. But don't do too much too soon. That is just a recipe for disaster

Yeah, gonna take your advice and do just that (once my fecking ribs have healed!!!)

Whenever I've "started" it's been on the Alphen Green Belt. Hardly technical running terrain, I'd almost call it road running cos of how flat and hard it is. And I used to start slow. 30s run / 3m30 walk etc etc and slowly ratchet it down. But whenever I went over the 1 min run side, at about 10-15 min in I'd get that pain I know all too well. 

Hiking / jogging on the mountain / down platteklip etc... no such issue. Legs were jelly, but not in that same sharp pain I've had when "running" or starting to run. 

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

Well done to all that ran OMTOM... pity about the divert, but that's life in SA I guess. My wife still loved her first one regardless.

I really loved the Trail (25km odd) run... pretty tough, in fact 30% more elevation than the 56km Ultra route, but the views are awesome and it was a great morning out in beautiful scenery. Also didn't have any issues with my failing body, so maybe the trails are a little easier on the body...

Cradle 32km this weekend and then Wally marathon and possibly/hopefully Comrades qualification next week on the public holiday.

Not a doc so not sure about the medical part of your question but as for distance returning, i would rather start slower and base it on time instead of km's 

4min walk , 1 min Run repeat 4 times to give a 20min workout every second day for week 1

3min walk , 2 min run Repeat 4 time  every second day in week 2

2min walk , 3 min run Repeat 4 time every second day in week 3

1min walk , 4 min run Repeat 4 time every second day in week 4

Week 5 Run 20min and then from there build up again. 

Thanks for that. I actually much prefer your view than what I had planned. 

One small problem with the trail run... I have ended my Asics Nimbus's life a little prematurely... road shoes definitely not up to off road rigors. Took a big chunk out of the one sole...

There's a Strava challenge out at the moment that gives you 20% off and enters you into a competition to win some goodies of you run something pathetic like 35km or something

Nike Zoom X Next%. The 4% Successor. We'll probably see it debut at London Marathon.

Doesn't look like one will get a huge amount of mileage out of those