ScottCM

• Replies 18k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not all doom and gloom. In 2021 I will be running under the "V" Category. Showing off the nice big 40 on my chest. I will then have more legit excuses if I run badly," I'm a Veteran" :ph34r:  :whistling:   :thumbup:  

Spring chicken!  :ph34r: 

Typing for a friend!  :blush:  :whistling: 

Half of the comrades records are held by people representing a country that was banned from winter olympics, and banned from track and field by the IAAF. He can be skeptical if he wants to surely?

They have also changed comrades route so records don't count.

Many do not believe the down run record is legit by any means. Doping is real in South Africa yes they catch some but the percentage is small. JW has a valid point Mr EPO as he used to be known holds the up record.

Who knows very few ultra runners worldwide are in the WADA testing pool it's too much of a niche sport... in fact SA has probably the most in the testing pool. It's a worldwide problem but in SA gets brushed under the table. Just in the last year second in Comrades is a doper Second lady this year in two oceans is a doper. Last year 8th place two oceans caught doping and banned. Comrades and Oceans need to ban dopers from their races it would be a start in gaining confidence in the results.

Who knows very few ultra runners worldwide are in the WADA testing pool it's too much of a niche sport... in fact SA has probably the most in the testing pool. It's a worldwide problem but in SA gets brushed under the table. Just in the last year second in Comrades is a doper Second lady this year in two oceans is a doper. Last year 8th place two oceans caught doping and banned. Comrades and Oceans need to ban dopers from their races it would be a start in gaining confidence in the results.

While I don't dispute that doping in SA exists, two of the three mentioned here are from Lesotho.

1) Joseph Mphuthi RSA Siyabani Gold AC

2)  Mamorallo Tjoka Lesotho Nedbank Int

3) Moeketsi Mosuhli Lesotho Nedbank Int

I do agree with you and think that all dopers should be banned from the two events for life. 

Its not all doom and gloom. In 2021 I will be running under the "V" Category. Showing off the nice big 40 on my chest. I will then have more legit excuses if I run badly," I'm a Veteran" :ph34r:  :whistling:   :thumbup:  

+1  :eek:

Its not all doom and gloom. In 2021 I will be running under the "V" Category. Showing off the nice big 40 on my chest. I will then have more legit excuses if I run badly," I'm a Veteran" :ph34r: :whistling: [emoji106]

+1 :eek:

All these youngsters.....I started my running journey under the V flag!

Professional endurance athletes? It's hard not to be skeptical... you'd have to be living under a rock to think anything otherwise. Like most sports, the top athletes become the coaches and the cycle continues... I'm sure we have our very own Salazars here in SA. It is what it is, and I'm not sure how we ever get around it. 

I'd not trust Jim Walmsley with a long stick either - all athletes are 'anti-doping' until they get caught... of course then it's always someone elses fault.

One thing I will also say, I have a 100 times more respect for someone like Camille who came to Comrades and let her legs do the talking... JM can talk all he wants, but there are no controls in trail running either, so he can also just jog off.

All these youngsters.....I started my running journey under the V flag!

I started running when I was 33 years old. Wished I started earlier.

I started running when I was 33 years old. Wished I started earlier.

I started at 45 or 46. Agree - it would have been nice to have started earlier. But then again - I may have broken myself somewhere along the line! Things happen the way they do for a reason.

Last year I started to feel like I actually need to get on the bike a bit more. This year I've actually started doing it just to get some alternate training in. And must admit, the smile is back when riding again also.

You guys make me feel bad about not being better at running now. :wacko:

Been running in some form or other since U10 cross country, a good 19 years ago....