ScottCM

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have settled on not trying anything new for CT. Will just use my soft flask as planned and try and persuade the wife and kids to second me so that I can minimise the weight I have to carry. Although I have done lots of trail with my back pack I need this to go well as it will be my Comrades qualifier.

Same here. I'm gonna run in your slip, hopefully. I successfully completed a 34km run with no fuel at a 5'13" pace, I expect to finish the other 8 with the help of altitude advantage and general race atmosphere. If I'm feeling good, 3h30 should be possible. GOD WILLING.

Same here. I'm gonna run in your slip, hopefully. I successfully completed a 34km run with no fuel at a 5'13" pace, I expect to finish the other 8 with the help of altitude advantage and general race atmosphere. If I'm feeling good, 3h30 should be possible. GOD WILLING.

This is the first time I have actually put a target for myself and trained towards it. Normally I decide a week or so ahead of time what I would like to do and go for it. This time however I have actually started doing stuff like interval training and hill repeats. Worked out what my training paces should be and tried sticking to it. So ja, I would be very disappointed if I don’t make the sub3:30.

Since starting to train properly again I have done very few races, the Eastern’s 15km @ 4:21/km followed by the Cape Town Festival of Running 50km @ 6:00/km (used as long run training). I then used the John Korasie 30km @ 4:49/km and this weekend’s West Coast half marathon at 4:19/km as fitness gauges. Done a few tempo long runs at 5:15/km the longest being 34km’s and the rest of my long runs at 5:30 to 5:44/km. So ja, I feel confident about reaching my target but also have a heavy case of the nerves just thinking about it. Guess we’ll see in 13 days time [emoji30]

I'm confused...CT marathon will not have water points? Why you got worried about carrying water?

I'm confused...CT marathon will not have water points? Why you got worried about carrying water?

Special ‘Go-Fast’ juice

With me it’s not about carrying water but rather my Tailwind. It work much better for me than the gels and bars.

I carry my own water at all races so I'm not part of the plastic sachet mayhem that lands up in the ocean, bushes etc....

Despite all the promises, those things still land up everywhere

I carry my own water at all races so I'm not part of the plastic sachet mayhem that lands up in the ocean, bushes etc....

You run road races with a vest? 

You run road races with a vest? 

Usually with a 500ml soft flask hand held. (Bottle with a strap).

There are usually 2 filling stations at each marathon so it's easy. 2 stops and I'm done. 

I have done a few with my vest, but usually only if it's super hot or I'm doing a double header and need more sustenance than usual - like a BAT run straight into Peninsula or something similar.

I have run From Muizenberg to Cape Town via Noordhoek peak then run CT marathon so then ja, I have a vest with me.

But handhelds are super under rated.

Most of my training is done with handhelds

I do the same by making sure I throw my little bottle or sachet in the bin at each water station when I pick up a new one. While I would like to avoid using plastic at all... The extra weight and discomfort that a vest brings makes it not practical. I balance it out with how I use plastics throughout the year

*shakes head in sadness for own training....

hahahaha I love running trail at night, so any excuse!

I don't really know what 'training' is... I prefer to call it my 'lifestyle'... It takes away implication that I'm not enjoying it

I do the same by making sure I throw my little bottle or sachet in the bin at each water station when I pick up a new one. While I would like to avoid using plastic at all... The extra weight and discomfort that a vest brings makes it not practical. I balance it out with how I use plastics throughout the year

I'm kind of in the groove of training with water, so every km or so I take a sip. So, I think I might struggle in a race scenario if I were to wait for the tables. 

But my fragile male ego also thinks that running a road race with a vest is a bit dorky. Would like to be as light and unrestricted as possible. 

I'm kind of in the groove of training with water, so every km or so I take a sip. So, I think I might struggle in a race scenario if I were to wait for the tables.

But my fragile male ego also thinks that running a road race with a vest is a bit dorky. Would like to be as light and unrestricted as possible.

Here in Ireland you get a bottle at water tables.. Which is great...I then keep that bottle for about 3 tables.. Or 2...or 1.. As the race progresses [emoji38]

Wasn't expecting stupid cups at Amsterdam last year which threw me a bit

This made me laugh... It really is dorky but dorky is the new cool. It's a thing. 

Here in Ireland you get a bottle at water tables.. Which is great...I then keep that bottle for about 3 tables.. Or 2...or 1.. As the race progresses [emoji38]

Wasn't expecting stupid cups at Amsterdam last year which threw me a bit

I almost choked at AMS last year trying to take a swig from a cup whilst running. Wasn't my finest moment, coughing and sputtering next to the tables.