ScottCM

A question, if you'll induldge me. 

I have a marathon coming up and want to put in a good time. So, I've been doing more higher intensity runs lately, which takes me out of my aerobic HR zone. I still do long, slow runs over the weekends. 

Is there a risk that I'll be compromising my endurance by doing too much anaerobic-ish running?

I think that is perfect. I you are still doing the base efforts, the faster stuff will just help tweak the cadence and muscle memory.

Just listen to your body as too much too soon or too much at once can lead to niggles.

Good luck. Which marathon is it? I find I used to target the flat ones for a fast time and then blow up due to going out way too hard.

Negative splits are the answer, and this can only be achieved by having gas in the tank at 22km and 32km.

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that is perfect. I you are still doing the base efforts, the faster stuff will just help tweak the cadence and muscle memory.

Just listen to your body as too much too soon or too much at once can lead to niggles.

Good luck. Which marathon is it? I find I used to target the flat ones for a fast time and then blow up due to going out way too hard.

Negative splits are the answer, and this can only be achieved by having gas in the tank at 22km and 32km.

It's the Amsterdam marathon. 58 days and counting! Eeek!

I'm targeting around 03h30, but I'm not sure whether that may be too ambitious. I'm still a fresh runner (<2 years) and haven't run a marathon yet. Maintaining a pace of 5:00min/km isn't that tough for me know and I've run below that for halves. Whether I'll be ready for that kind of pace for the full distance is what I'm working towards. 

I'm thinking of perhaps working in a 500m/1km walk somewhere around the 28-32km mark to give the ticker a rest. Advisable? 

Getting butterflies just typing this out...

I'm targeting around 03h30, but I'm not sure whether that may be too ambitious. I'm still a fresh runner (<2 years) and haven't run a marathon yet. Maintaining a pace of 5:00min/km isn't that tough for me know and I've run below that for halves. Whether I'll be ready for that kind of pace for the full distance is what I'm working towards. 

I'm thinking of perhaps working in a 500m/1km walk somewhere around the 28-32km mark to give the ticker a rest. Advisable? 

This article suggests that walk/run is a smart way to hit your target, before your target hits you:

https://coachparry.com/comrades-marathon-runwalk-strategy-bill-rowan/

But then again, as Mike Tyson said, "Everyone has got a strategy, until they get hit"

Good luck with the marathon, if it makes you nervous now then it's a very worthy objective!

I like the way Lotus replied.

My strategy would be to not walk, but rather to try to be conservative early. So I know I can run a 1:50 with very littl effort, and a 1:40 with a bit of sweat, so if I said run a strict 1:50 in the first half, keep 60% of your gas in the tank, then have your 1:39 splits in hand, you should be able to hit them.

I have a theory.. no matter how long the race, 10km or 800km, you only get to blow once. Moving at 5:30 or 6 a km for 9km will get you closer to your target that 4 km at 16-18 minutes a km after your legs fall off!

Edited by Jewbacca

You won't regret it! ​ I did one a good couple of years ago, went into it ill but still it is an amazing run. One section that "caught" me a bit was a bit of rock you have to go up behind Blockhouse. (I have found through trail running that I have a mild fear of heights - too bad!) But it is a great run and some spectacular views. And esp coming down from up-country, you'll love both the Table Mountain and the Kirstenbosch sections. 

That is, presuming the route hasn't changed all that much in 5 years. 

Cape Town Peace Trail only runs along signal hill and lions head. I think you referring to Table montain Challenge

I like to know how stuff works, and also like to get to know “the basics”. If something goes wrong, then go back to basics and start from there.

When asking how to do running and riding within the same training block, I never expected to get a reply asking about technique. It makes sense that an efficient running style can help.

I sort of worked through "running rewired" by Jay Dicharry, and can recommend it to anyone looking to improve their running form. He explains proper running form, provides self tests for weakness, and exercises to improve form.

I like the way Lotus replied.

My strategy would be to not walk, but rather to try to be conservative early. So I know I can run a 1:50 with very littl effort, and a 1:40 with a bit of sweat, so if I said run a strict 1:50 in the first half, keep 60% of your gas in the tank, then have your 1:39 splits in hand, you should be able to hit them.

I have a theory.. no matter how long the race, 10km or 800km, you only get to blow once. Moving at 5:30 or 6 a km for 9km will get you closer to your target that 4 km at 16-18 minutes a km after your legs fall off!

At a target of 03:35 these splits look pretty doable (3% neg split)

Distance Split Time Lap Time Lap Length 1 km 5:19 5:19 1 km 2 km 10:39 5:19 1 km 3 km 15:58 5:19 1 km 4 km 21:18 5:19 1 km 5 km 26:37 5:19 1 km 6 km 31:57 5:19 1 km 7 km 37:16 5:19 1 km 8 km 42:36 5:19 1 km 9 km 47:55 5:19 1 km 10 km 53:15 5:19 1 km 11 km 58:30 5:15 1 km 12 km 1:03:40 5:10 1 km 13 km 1:08:51 5:10 1 km 14 km 1:14:01 5:10 1 km 15 km 1:19:11 5:10 1 km 16 km 1:24:22 5:10 1 km 17 km 1:29:32 5:10 1 km 18 km 1:34:42 5:10 1 km 19 km 1:39:53 5:10 1 km 20 km 1:45:03 5:10 1 km 21 km 1:50:13 5:10 1 km 22 km 1:55:15 5:02 1 km 23 km 2:00:16 5:01 1 km 24 km 2:05:18 5:01 1 km 25 km 2:10:19 5:01 1 km 26 km 2:15:20 5:01 1 km 27 km 2:20:21 5:01 1 km 28 km 2:25:22 5:01 1 km 29 km 2:30:23 5:01 1 km 30 km 2:35:24 5:01 1 km 31 km 2:40:26 5:01 1 km 32 km 2:45:23 4:58 1 km 33 km 2:50:15 4:52 1 km 34 km 2:55:07 4:52 1 km 35 km 2:59:59 4:52 1 km 36 km 3:04:51 4:52 1 km 37 km 3:09:43 4:52 1 km 38 km 3:14:35 4:52 1 km 39 km 3:19:27 4:52 1 km 40 km 3:24:19 4:52 1 km 41 km 3:29:11 4:52 1 km 42 km 3:34:03 4:52 1 km 42.195 km 3:35:00 0:57 0.195 km

Upgrading from the half from last year I see. It's a great route with the only real hill coming at around 35km... And it's not even a hill really. Watch out for the start... It's fast and furious...I had a fierce positive split because of it.

Don't be scared to walk. Being your first marathon, I would advise that you walk at minimum every second table in the second half and at least one in the first half. That's a 20 second walk and give you opportunity to get a gel or honey down the gullet and flush it down with water. Over the course of the run that will be between 7 or 10 20 second walks... That's like 2 minutes.. Negligible in the greater scheme. A brick wall will result in a lot more walking

As for your training... I'm doing two sessions a week off intervals and high intensity and the rest are all easy runs with a long run on the weekend. 3 high intensity long runs in my plan

Upgrading from the half from last year I see. It's a great route with the only real hill coming at around 35km... And it's not even a hill really. Watch out for the start... It's fast and furious...I had a fierce positive split because of it.

Don't be scared to walk. Being your first marathon, I would advise that you walk at minimum every second table in the second half and at least one in the first half. That's a 20 second walk and give you opportunity to get a gel or honey down the gullet and flush it down with water. Over the course of the run that will be between 7 or 10 20 second walks... That's like 2 minutes.. Negligible in the greater scheme. A brick wall will result in a lot more walking

As for your training... I'm doing two sessions a week off intervals and high intensity and the rest are all easy runs with a long run on the weekend. 3 high intensity long runs in my plan

Yip. I absolutely shat the bed last year with the half. Did no slow base building and went full gas at the start and paid a heavy price. 

post-62668-0-53033100-1566469722_thumb.png

So, want to do things right this year.

The quick walk at the tables seem sensible. So pumped, but also scared! Ha!

Oh, crap! Forgot to mention. I'll actually be running the Brussels marathon too. That's 2 weeks before Amsterdam. Just aiming for an easy finish. Basically a long training run. 

A fool's errand? Too close to AMS? Could always downgrade to the half. 

Oh, crap! Forgot to mention. I'll actually be running the Brussels marathon too. That's 2 weeks before Amsterdam. Just aiming for an easy finish. Basically a long training run.

26miles 2 weeks before is asking for trouble in my book... You'll never go slow in a race environment. Even a fast half will impact the main event

Lol how do u forget something like that....

Yes imo 2 weeks is to close especially if you want to go for a PB / good time and it increase your chances of injury or getting sick.

Sometimes running a marafun slower than normal can have the opposite effect because you are not used to running slower for so long

Lol how do u forget something like that....

Yes imo 2 weeks is to close especially if you want to go for a PB / good time and it increase your chances of injury or getting sick.

Sometimes running a marafun slower than normal can have the opposite effect because you are not used to running slower for so long

Funny you mention the slower running - virtually the only time when I'll start to get aches and pains is when I run with my wife at her pace. 

Ha ha... You have all the traits of being an engineer.... Maybe supply chain have similar traits [emoji38]

I was also supposed to add that I’m an analytical-type, with an OCD tendency.