ScottCM

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not tough technical terrain, but it's a fair bit of single track with rock typical of the signal hill area. The route is fairly challenging fitness wise with a bit of uphill to get around signal hill and then to come back up from the Glen. You should be fine, maybe.

I marshall at high level road for that every year... It is definitely not flat gravel roads, but it is a fantastic event. Cut off times are very generous so enjoy the views, soak it all up and have a ball, the way trail running is meant to be!

Thanks - I'm very comfortable doing the "Trail" runs here in Pretoria - usually opt for the 15km and this weekend will be doing the 21km at Rosemary, but I'm not really familiar with CT terrain at all and my brother who lives in CT and who runs the mountain trails regularly has been winding me up a bit!  So was getting a bit worried.  I suppose as a first genuine Trail run I've picked a good one from a scenery perspective!

Thanks - I'm very comfortable doing the "Trail" runs here in Pretoria - usually opt for the 15km and this weekend will be doing the 21km at Rosemary, but I'm not really familiar with CT terrain at all and my brother who lives in CT and who runs the mountain trails regularly has been winding me up a bit!  So was getting a bit worried.  I suppose as a first genuine Trail run I've picked a good one from a scenery perspective!

You won't regret it! ​ I did one a good couple of years ago, went into it ill but still it is an amazing run. One section that "caught" me a bit was a bit of rock you have to go up behind Blockhouse. (I have found through trail running that I have a mild fear of heights - too bad!) But it is a great run and some spectacular views. And esp coming down from up-country, you'll love both the Table Mountain and the Kirstenbosch sections. 

That is, presuming the route hasn't changed all that much in 5 years. 

Go train at Hedianga and then wind up the capetonians

I recorded video while running on a treadmill - recording all 4 sides. I then sent it to the coach (who isn’t my coach yet) for an analysis.

His slow motion commentary reveals quite a bit, of which core strength (or the lack of it) and fatigue results in my heel striking first. If I concentrate on the technique, I clearly hit the ground on the middle part of my foot, slightly on the outside and roll inward.

I’m also a bit too upright instead of leaning forward.

Regarding heel striking and foot rolling...

I used to be a heel striker and when I changed it was a simple transition but I noticed that as I get more tired, it automatically reverts to the heel. The secret is to keep the stride shorter. The advantage was that I became faster :-)

Since I have a history with my ITBs, I have learned to roll my foot according to the angle of the camber, it's not the best option but being able to adjust on the fly seems to be what is necessary.

All you need to know is there's a ton of oxygen down there so it'll be a breeze.

@frosty .... Are you an engineer?

No, I’m in Supply Chain... you know, the guys that make stuff happen. [emoji16] Edited by Frosty

No, I’m in Supply Chain... you know, the guys that make stuff happen. [emoji16]

Ha ha... You have all the traits of being an engineer.... Maybe supply chain have similar traits [emoji38]

Ha ha... You have all the traits of being an engineer.... Maybe supply chain have similar traits [emoji38]

I read Frosty's posts and sometimes wonder "Should I also be doing this kind of analyses?!"

:eek:

I read Frosty's posts and sometimes wonder "Should I also be doing this kind of analyses?!"

:eek:

I like to know how stuff works, and also like to get to know “the basics”. If something goes wrong, then go back to basics and start from there.

When asking how to do running and riding within the same training block, I never expected to get a reply asking about technique. It makes sense that an efficient running style can help.

I can seriously recommend an hour at the track (or similar) at least once a week.

Speed work is essential if you want to run faster. Not just speed work like attacking a hill or a few fartleks, but a dedicated speed session.

That way you will get used to running at a faster tempo, the muscle memory gets comfortable running faster and you then run faster using the same amount of energy/effort.

It takes some discipline but the benefits are massive.

Churning out miles is brilliant if you want to be consistent and get strong, but you won't go faster unless you train faster, at least once a week.

Just a quick follow up on this:

My average pace has been around 6m30s over the 10k (which I'm doing 4x per week).

Last Saturday I had an appointment and I found myself up against a time deadline to do the run, so I went harder especially on the hills. Result - broke all the 1k sector times and came in at a 5m:54s pace.

Since then (apart from Sunday's long slow) my pace has been faster around 6m:10s without conscious extra effort. It just seems easier.

So, while one swallow doesn't make a spring, I'm now optimistic that putting in a regular weekly hard/fast session to get out of the comfort zone might just move the needle.

Edit: 500 posts! Almost a newbie no more.

Edited by Lotus

Just a quick follow up on this:

My average pace has been around 6m30s over the 10k (which I'm doing 4x per week).

Last Saturday I had an appointment and I found myself up against a time deadline to do the run, so I went harder especially on the hills. Result - broke all the 1k sector times and came in at a 5m:54s pace.

Since then (apart from Sunday's long slow) my pace has been faster around 6m:10s without conscious extra effort. It just seems easier.

So, while one swallow doesn't make a spring, I'm now optimistic that putting in a regular weekly hard/fast session to get out of the comfort zone might just move the needle.

Edit: 500 posts! Almost a newbie no more.

That is awesome. 

A10km TT is actually a really good way of monitoring progress. When I was training to go fast I had a 10.3km loop with 440m of climbing from my gate. 

Watching those average times drop with the same amount of effort expended is amazingly rewarding!

Watching those average times drop with the same amount of effort expended is amazingly rewarding!

Like seeing my weight drop, slowly and surely. About 7kgs over the last 3 months, with no real change to eating habits (okay, just no booze in the week).

Like seeing my weight drop, slowly and surely. About 7kgs over the last 3 months, with no real change to eating habits (okay, just no booze in the week).

That 'no booze' is huge.

I went from regular beer consumer to incredibly irregular booze consumer (probably 1 unit a month, if that) and although it helps with the weight, the main difference I feel is in productivity, positivity, brain function, drive, energy and confidence.

People don't realise how booze is affecting them until it doesn't!

That is awesome. 

A10km TT is actually a really good way of monitoring progress. When I was training to go fast I had a 10.3km loop with 440m of climbing from my gate. 

A question, if you'll induldge me. 

I have a marathon coming up and want to put in a good time. So, I've been doing more higher intensity runs lately, which takes me out of my aerobic HR zone. I still do long, slow runs over the weekends. 

Is there a risk that I'll be compromising my endurance by doing too much anaerobic-ish running?

If you do the Rosemary Hill run and take the complete inverse of that you will know exactly what to expect on Table Mountain :-)