ScottCM

Off BBC news:

A top Kenyan athlete has run away from a training camp in order to evade anti-doping officials who had come to do a test.

The case highlights the challenge the authorities face cleaning up the sport.

The anti-doping team turned up unannounced at the training camp in Kapsabet in the west of Kenya.

After realising who the visitors were, the athlete jumped through a window and vaulted over a fence - presumably faster than any officials could have managed if they'd tried.

Barnaba Korir of Athletics Kenya confirmed the incident but did not give the runner's name.

He or she is still likely to be punished.

Over the last five years around 60 Kenyan athletes have been sanctioned for anti-doping violations.

Mr Korir said athletes who know they are guilty feel they have no choice than fleeing from the testers.

Over the last week two athletes including Alfred Kipketer - the world under-20, 800 metre champion - have been suspended for doping violations.

Wilson Kipsang avoided testers too, couple days ago though, the list is building a little quickly...

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wilson Kipsang avoided testers too, couple days ago though, the list is building a little quickly...

Let's hope kipruto isn't one of those... Because I'm liking the look of this chap Edited by Stretch

Theres an interesting number of high profile internationals competing in comrades this year

Edited by Stretch

So one of my big goals for 2020 is to do the 947 + RAC challenge.

To those who have done it before, what training do you recommend? My goal is just to finish 947 sub-3, and the RAC 32 in sub-3 as well. From what I've heard, the RAC is tough, but lots of races can call themselves tough...

Google Jim Peters.. Learnt about him yesterday. First person to break 2:20 marathon and in 1954 Commonwealth games in Vancouver he came into the stadium in under 2:10 pace with his nearest competitors miles behind him (the winning time was 2:39). He never made the finish line and was rushed to hospital. He quit running after that. The 2:10 barrier was only broken 12 years later. One has to wonder about the level of his recognition in marathon history if he had managed to complete those final 200m.... And what else he might have achieved in his career.

P.s a certain Jackie Meckler came in silver

Google Jim Peters.. Learnt about him yesterday. First person to break 2:20 marathon and in 1954 Commonwealth games in Vancouver he came into the stadium in under 2:10 pace with his nearest competitors miles behind him (the winning time was 2:39). He never made the finish line and was rushed to hospital. He quit running after that. The 2:10 barrier was only broken 12 years later. One has to wonder about the level of his recognition in marathon history if he had managed to complete those final 200m.... And what else he might have achieved in his career.

P.s a certain Jackie Meckler came in silver

Incredible athlete! Didn't even have a carbon plate in his shoes in those days Jackie Mekler talks about him in his book "Running Alone".

Who else dit the "Bert's Bricks" in Potch? 10.5km out to the factory, 10.5km back with a brick, only 100xBricks at the factory to bring back in exchange for a 6 pack beer. Vet pret

Thats not sustainable...

One would think so, but this was his 2019

Distance 7,967.3 km   Time 699h 51m   Elev Gain 220,780    Runs 372

Who else dit the "Bert's Bricks" in Potch? 10.5km out to the factory, 10.5km back with a brick, only 100xBricks at the factory to bring back in exchange for a 6 pack beer. Vet pret

I reckon there are easier was to get yourself a 6 pack! [emoji23]