Bicycle Insurance - Help

Jackson123

Hi.

I'm just looking for clarity on a bike insurance policy. I've hit a pothole and damaged my wheel but the cost to repair it is a bit much. The insurance policy states "The following events

We do not cover you for loss or damage that is caused by:

○ damage to tyres from braking, cuts, punctures, bursts or uneven road surfaces".

Is this just for tyres or damage to any part of your bike caused by uneven road surfaces?

Advice please

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi.

I'm just looking for clarity on a bike insurance policy. I've hit a pothole and damaged my wheel but the cost to repair it is a bit much. The insurance policy states "The following events

We do not cover you for loss or damage that is caused by:

○ damage to tyres from braking, cuts, punctures, bursts or uneven road surfaces".

Is this just for tyres or damage to any part of your bike caused by uneven road surfaces?

Advice please

I have a broker actually and I have my car and house through her...she is great

Although when I started insuring bikes they didn't really do that (Santam only started handling bikes as a separate thing other than house hold content recently/last year or 2 or 3, I think).

I am switching over to her doing my bikes now to though..

I have had bicycles insured through my broker for years (MF). Hairline crack on the seat post (2nd hand bike) the paid me out the value for new frame based on a picture and letter from bikeshop saying that the integrity of the frame could not be guaranteed if repaired. ca. R20k  

I have a quick question for those who claimed already...

If i insure my bike say for R 25 000 and i do crash and break the carbon frame... if they pay out will they take the bike and i get the money or will they say its a write off and i can just buy a new frame to build my old groupset on? So i want to know if i keep the broken bike so i can reuse the parts?

I dont have insurance at the moment but i think its time to take out in case something happens...dollar rand not helping if i need to replace.

It would vary from company to company. I am with Santam. When I destroyed my carbon frame, they paid me out for a whole new bike. Their logic was that a new frame and rebuild was more than 75% of the value of a new bike, so they replaced the bike.

I had given them the quote of the repair, which then was R15k. They contacted the bike shop for the price of new bike, which was R18.5k then. They paid cash into my account.

They told me that someone from a car scrap yard would come and collect the damaged bike. 6 years later and nobody has pitched up to collect it.

I don't suppose they ever will.

There were a few replies to my post about having my bikes insured under general all risk with Echelon through The Brokerage. Saw another post saying Echelon are good, so pretty happy.

No claims necessary so far *touch wood* but a hypothetical query to the gurus on the forum:

ITO written confirmation on a query, I obviously deal with my broker not the underwriter. So I ask my broker if I am covered for X Y Z. Come claim time the underwriter says no we're not paying cos that wasn't covered. If I have email confirmation from the broker stating that I'm covered, would the broker then be liable for footing the bill under the terms which he sold the product?

• 11 months later...

Cyclesure!!!

I joined them and just next day i fell-_-;;;;

That's so unfortunate but they paid all!!!!

That's more than 20k...

Of course i pay a lot. But i feel much safer :)

Dont ever insure your valued bike with MOMENTUM personal all risk or MOMENTUM bicycle insurance. They will drag your matter as long as they possibly can. They will gladly accept your premiums monthly but the moment something unfortunate occurs they will treat you with complete disrespect. They will ask you all sorts of nonsense that will supposedly validate your claim, they will go so far as to want to get into your personal life and violate constitutionally protected right to privacy such as your phone records if your bike got stolen. It  was so ridiculous that I was bullied to say where I obtained my cycling gear etc. Its been a month and yet no reply with regards to my claim. They have no consideration to the policy agreement and will make up new rules as they go along that will suite them. A very horrible experience. Dont ever use them.

Dont ever insure your valued bike with MOMENTUM personal all risk or MOMENTUM bicycle insurance. They will drag your matter as long as they possibly can. They will gladly accept your premiums monthly but the moment something unfortunate occurs they will treat you with complete disrespect. They will ask you all sorts of nonsense that will supposedly validate your claim, they will go so far as to want to get into your personal life and violate constitutionally protected right to privacy such as your phone records if your bike got stolen. It  was so ridiculous that I was bullied to say where I obtained my cycling gear etc. Its been a month and yet no reply with regards to my claim. They have no consideration to the policy agreement and will make up new rules as they go along that will suite them. A very horrible experience. Dont ever use them.

If you feel that your claim is not handled properly/correctly you can always contact the ombudsman. It will take a while to sort out though. Goodluck ....

• 1 year later...

I just got paid out for a new frame and wheel after a crash. Insurance paid out last week Friday and now i sit with the busted frame and fork. Should I hold onto them in case insurance wants them or can I toss them? My fiance is already over the bikes clogging up the spare room... 

I just got paid out for a new frame and wheel after a crash. Insurance paid out last week Friday and now i sit with the busted frame and fork. Should I hold onto them in case insurance wants them or can I toss them? My fiance is already over the bikes clogging up the spare room...

Ask them if they are going to salvage. But do not “get rid of it” until they have confirmed.

• 4 weeks later...

Need to update my insurance policy for my bike.

What would the replacement value be?

2008 Giant TCR Advanced T-Mobile Team

Shimano Ultegra 6800 w/ SRAM Apex brakes

American Classic Sprint 350

Continental Gatorskins 25mm

Ritchey WCS Carbon Streem

Fizik Antares VSX

Ultegra pedals

Need to update my insurance policy for my bike.

What would the replacement value be?

2008 Giant TCR Advanced T-Mobile Team

Shimano Ultegra 6800 w/ SRAM Apex brakes

American Classic Sprint 350

Continental Gatorskins 25mm

Ritchey WCS Carbon Streem

Fizik Antares VSX

Ultegra pedals

R28500 - just call giant cape town and ask for a giant TCR with Ultegra to confirm.

Archived