JUMA 2015 Postponed

worriesnot

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or, as Gecko remembers me, a slow chant as Captain armpies mayhem. I think it all got a bit fuzzy from there. 

A journey of a thousand Myles must begin with just one step...

You clearly dont know the Spruit Fairies

They build with old pieces of chappies, spider webs, pritt glue, the snot of a thousand trolls and the hopes and dreams of the downhill massive

There is only 1 troll

financial loss will be huge, I would be surprised if there is another race

I wonder whether Hollard carried some of the event cancellation risk as I guess that they had insured against cancellation.....

financial loss will be huge, I would be surprised if there is another race

And even though we will lose our entry fee, I think we as the riding community will be the bigger losers because we will not have another event organiser step in to the fold. There is nothing like it in Jhb and the Spruit needed it. Its a pretty unique trail.

I wasn't a huge fan of the idea and sure it had a commercial side to it, but it kind of grew on me and I reckon it had legs as a concept and now that they may not have it, well that is not good. So I hope its not dead as a race.

Its sad how sometimes you only realize how much value something had when its gone.

I applaud the guys that had the vision to start it - and hope they dont let this stop them.

Imagine all that work organising, road closures, paying deposits for scaffolding/tents/toilets/medics etc. All for zip, down the proverbial drain, perhaps they'll rethink the storm drain routing seeing it's bit them in the ass now as well.

Most races normally run virtually come hell or high water, unless it's almost a flood threat?

Perhaps they need to look at a date change to before the rains are due to start? It would be the first race to change for better event conditions.

Maybe mid winter would be an idea...?

I rode the Spruit down river with a couple of guys yesterday. Grip for days - rode through one puddle - hardly got any mud on my bike at all.

If they don't offer refunds, or at least carry the entry fee over, then they can kiss the whole story goodbye.

As it is, after last years debacle, entries didn't exactly fly out.

Add people not getting their money/value back, and there'll be an uproar...

Imagine all that work organising, road closures, paying deposits for scaffolding/tents/toilets/medics etc. All for zip, down the proverbial drain, perhaps they'll rethink the storm drain routing seeing it's bit them in the ass now as well.

Most races normally run virtually come hell or high water, unless it's almost a flood threat?

On Friday and Saturday it was hell and high water in Jhb. It rained solidly from 8 pm Friday night and that was sure to cause the Spruit to flood

I reckon if you had fallen in the dam you would have died of exposure by the time they got you out, never mind the diseases you would have from all the crap that was washed in to there.

I think that if they don't reschedule ASAP they will lose all the cred they built up after last year's issues.  There are bound to be loads of riders who have trained for the even only to be disappointed twice in a row ...

A real pity though, I was sure this year would have been a significant upgrade from last year and the legacy builds were promising (even if they're a little wobbly).

:unsure:

Archived