Epicbikeshop Cape Town . .VAT refund missing!

Americo

VAT threshold is R1m per year, no? surely epic klap that

Compulsory registration occurs when the taxable supplies of the business reach (or are expected to reach) R1million

Voluntary registration is permitted where taxable supplies exceed R50 000

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a laborious process to actually get registered. I assume that Epic Bike Shop changed ownership and that the new entity needed to go through the VAT registration mill. 

When you apply for a VAT number, you usually have to invoice for the VAT portion from that date onwards. Once you are registered (say 1 January 2015 was the application date), you need to fill in all the VAT 201 forms from date that you elected to be registered. 

You then claim for inputs and pay on outputs. I have been involved with a VAT registration that took over 15 months to be completed. 

There is nothing illegal when you charge VAT on an invoice based on a VAT registration that is still pending. It only means that once your VAT application is successful, you need to pay over all the VAT that you charged on your invoices. 

The way I see it is that the seller had to be clear about it,knowing that I wasn't going to claim it he had to tell me so I was aware and could make my own decision. But telling me that i wouldn't have any troubles claiming the VAT back when he knew very well he was lying and it wasn't going to happen then I feel scammed.

Also it's funny to me that he is focusing so much on the fact that I would actually pay more when I would get back on my Country because of the different VAT taxation when instead if you go to buy something you'll never hear about it and they actually make it seen that with the VAT refund you're getting a good bargain!

The way I see it is that the seller had to be clear about it,knowing that I wasn't going to claim it he had to tell me so I was aware and could make my own decision. But telling me that i wouldn't have any troubles claiming the VAT back when he knew very well he was lying and it wasn't going to happen then I feel scammed.

Also it's funny to me that he is focusing so much on the fact that I would actually pay more when I would get back on my Country because of the different VAT taxation when instead if you go to buy something you'll never hear about it and they actually make it seen that with the VAT refund you're getting a good bargain!

Bottom line, if you knew you could get it cheaper there and where going back, why didn't you just buy it there? 

Vat is all. Moving on.

'he knew very well he was lying' that seems a gross assumption to me and it could well be that he was not aware you would have issues and he made a statement based on his knowledge rather than being an export expert?

I could be wrong but  .... no that doesn't happen  :ph34r:

Happened more than once to me leaving the UK, although there's is a different system for us Saffers anyway. Shop just ignores your request and you lose.

Not sure there's anything you can do about it, other than bitch,could well be the Gov and not the shop!!!

Perhaps open a private conversation with the Epicbikeshop, who are apparently on this thread, perhaps they might help.

We get this alot where I work!

Company 1=VAT vendor and adds VAT to his tender

Company 2= not VAT vendor and therefore does not add VAT to his tender and is therefor cheaper

Result: Company 2 gets awarded the tender because they are cheaper!

You can check whether a person or company is registered for VAT on the SARS VAT Vendor search website! Here's the link: http://www.sarsefiling.co.za/VatVendorSearchPageFrames.aspx

Company 2= not VAT vendor and therefore does not add VAT to his tender and is therefor cheaper

You can check whether a person or company is registered for VAT on the SARS VAT Vendor search website! Here's the link: http://www.sarsefiling.co.za/VatVendorSearchPageFrames.aspx

Compulsory registration occurs when the taxable supplies of the business reach (or are expected to reach) R1million

Voluntary registration is permitted where taxable supplies exceed R50 000

Must be small tenders then ...

Dont understand this - VAT included on tender is claimed back so price ex VAT should be used when evaluating tenders. 

Dont understand this - VAT included on tender is claimed back so price ex VAT should be used when evaluating tenders. 

we specify and review our tenders coming in as ex V.A.T only to make sure we are comparing apples with apples.

but company no.2 higher higher input costs as they cant claim the VAT back when they buy a fancy coffee machine for the office (silly example) but you know what I mean?

lets say on a R50 raw material cost that they want to make R50 profit,

cost = R57 for a non vat reg company, so they sell for R107 (no vat) 

The vat reg company has a cost of only R50 (as they claim the R7 back) and sell for R114 incl vat to get his R50 profit.

He's not more expensive if he's selling to another vat reg company as for them they pay R114 but cost for them is only R100, so they vat reg company is actually R7 cheaper than his non vat reg. counterpart?

I wonder if the last line applies to SA as well:

Goods you can’t get a refund for

You can’t get a VAT refund for:

• mail order goods, including internet sales
  • goods you’ve already used in the EU, such as perfume

VAT !  SHMAT!!  What bike did you buy? 

Was able to look at his Strava profile before he remover the link in his signature.

Looks like a Bianchi Oltre. The man has taste but a Italian buying a Italian Bike in South Africa for 30% more  :blink:  :wacko:  :huh:

Was able to look at his Strava profile before he remover the link in his signature.

Looks like a Bianchi Oltre. The man has taste but a Italian buying a Italian Bike in South Africa for 30% more  :blink:  :wacko:  :huh:

You stalker :devil:

Archived