Puffy encounter

gerhardsnorbaard

Say whaaaat? My son also rode there on Saturday. If only he knew.

I will show him this pic.

Edited by Moridin

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't these okes supposed to be hibernating now ??

Not this year, with this drought. We had temperatures of between 26 and 30 this past week.

Also had my first puffy encounter a few weeks back on Helderberg. Was riding late afternoon, and a little one went right across the trail in front of one of the guys I was riding with in Granny's Forest section. 

I'm so paranoid now when I ride past that specific spot even though I know snakes are everywhere on that mountain. I gotta say riding over a puffy or cobra is one of my biggest fears when riding alone - I would literally crap my pants and have a heart attach on the spot!

Have seen a pretty massive Cape Cobra too on the estate where my parents live a few months back - I was driving along the road, it crossed in front of my car, stopped, and raised it's head up and flared it's hoods - frigin scary! It's head was at just below the height of my Ranger's hood - big mother that one!

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Luckily I was on my way up, so I was going slowly and could spot the bugger from far, and not surprise it or nearly ride over it this time. It was a little moody, huffing and puffing the whole time. Waited for it to move off into the bush before I left it. But I agree with Moridin, this warmish weather is probably keeping them more active for longer.

There was a kids party at the entrance to Eden, with a large bunch of boys playing laser tag, and running all over the forest. Scary stuff.

Bunny hopped a few black mambas chasing sugar cane rats in the Assagay and Shongweni areas back in the day!

Edited by lenzman

At least you usually see the snake before it's too late.

I can's say the same for dogs. I got chewed by one on Saturday on my way to Simonsberg trails. My trip ended before it really begun, as I had to go to ER for some medical assistance. 5 stitches, 10 day antibiotic course and a series of rabies injections later...

I would rather come across Mr puffy than that mongrel again if I could choose.

A few months back I saw the tail end of what I suppose was a massive cobra as I exited snake eyes and made my way up the jeep track. The snake was already in the bush but the tail was halfway across the jeep track. So all I saw was this brown/black tapered section of a snake. I made sure I got out of there quick

A few months back I saw the tail end of what I suppose was a massive cobra as I exited snake eyes and made my way up the jeep track. The snake was already in the bush but the tail was halfway across the jeep track. So all I saw was this brown/black tapered section of a snake. I made sure I got out of there quick

I rode over such a massive tail at Helderberg. Was too late to stop, and my brain was too slow to take evasive action.

It was greenish brown, fresh out of hibernation. This was early spring last year.

Ek bekak my nou eers as ek daaraan dink.

At least you usually see the snake before it's too late.

I can's say the same for dogs. I got chewed by one on Saturday on my way to Simonsberg trails. My trip ended before it really begun, as I had to go to ER for some medical assistance. 5 stitches, 10 day antibiotic course and a series of rabies injections later...

I would rather come across Mr puffy than that mongrel again if I could choose.

That's a *** one, sorry man

• 11 months later...

Came across this guy earlier in the week . . .

He looks injured? I was at the vet earlier this evening to pick up kitty ( speyed), and overheard folks discussing the doc rushing their pooch to Panorama for antivenom after getting bitten by a as yet unidentified snake...I did not know they're still out and about.

He looks injured? I was at the vet earlier this evening to pick up kitty ( speyed), and overheard folks discussing the doc rushing their pooch to Panorama for antivenom after getting bitten by a as yet unidentified snake...I did not know they're still out and about.

Yeah this guy had lost the end of his tail somehow. It's a bit early here for them to come out yet but we've had some sunshine so.....

I heard that its better to be bitten by an adult puffie than a juvenile because the babies aren't able to control how much venom they inject whereas the adults are ableto give you a dry bite as a way to send you on your way without having to spend energy manufacturing more venom. This true?

I heard that its better to be bitten by an adult puffie than a juvenile because the babies aren't able to control how much venom they inject whereas the adults are ableto give you a dry bite as a way to send you on your way without having to spend energy manufacturing more venom. This true?

Old wives tale