Puffy encounter

gerhardsnorbaard

I've ridden over a little night adder and once over a natal bush snake

They both seemed fine.

Maybe he will live to tell the tale then.

He's probably posted on a "worst injury you've ever had" thread on a website for snakes.

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an encounter with a spitting cobra on Sunday while waking with my wife and our dogs.

We were on an overgrown path. My dog was in front of me and my wife and the other dog were a little way behind.

I felt something solid hit me behind my knee. I thought other dog had gotten too close behind me and bumped me with her muzzle. 

But my wife , who is a snake fundi, said it was a spitting cobra that had been sleeping in the grass and had reared up and smacked my leg as a warning.

My HR reading on my watch spiked by +-30 beats 

Luckily for me it did not appear to strike with its fangs as there were no puncture marks (or pain)

I had an encounter with a spitting cobra on Sunday while waking with my wife and our dogs.

We were on an overgrown path. My dog was in front of me and my wife and the other dog were a little way behind.

I felt something solid hit me behind my knee. I thought other dog had gotten too close behind me and bumped me with her muzzle. 

But my wife , who is a snake fundi, said it was a spitting cobra that had been sleeping in the grass and had reared up and smacked my leg as a warning.

Luckily for me it did not appear to strike with its fangs as there were no puncture marks (or pain)

If you had seen it I am sure that figure would be a lot higher. Well it would in my case.

It seems my doberman got bitten by a night adder (according to the vet), she must have either been squatting on it or sitting on it to be bitten where she was  :eek: Much vet bill later all good, very uncomfortable and swollen for the first few days but has come right after 5 days and no big wound or necrosis.

Needless to say 2 hours after arriving home from a long haul flight saw me and the gardener being driven round the garden by the wife, beating all flowerbeds in our path and investigating every crevice to find the critter, but nothing to date. Which hasn't helped the paranoia.

post-41145-0-16199100-1490354983_thumb.jpg

It seems my doberman got bitten by a night adder (according to the vet), she must have either been squatting on it or sitting on it to be bitten where she was  :eek: Much vet bill later all good, very uncomfortable and swollen for the first few days but has come right after 5 days and no big wound or necrosis.

Needless to say 2 hours after arriving home from a long haul flight saw me and the gardener being driven round the garden by the wife, beating all flowerbeds in our path and investigating every crevice to find the critter, but nothing to date. Which hasn't helped the paranoia.

attachicon.gif497.jpg

Ahh shame man. Where do you stay? With so many complexes going up it seems more "wild" animals are being pushed into the suburbs.

attachicon.gif497.jpg

Shame man

I also had a similar incident a week ago. Was watching rugby on Saturday when my Weiemeraner came into the house, covered in blood. My first thought was holy shite a baboon got hold of him (I could hear baboons barking in the distance). Upon closer inspection I could only find 1 hole, in his ear. But it was literally squirting out this hole, a main artery was severed. 

post-80018-0-42497300-1490356005_thumb.jpg

When it became obvious I won't stop the bleeding I rushed him to the vet (75km away), who at the time also didn't know what could've happened to him. By this time he was in shock, and blood still squirting out his ear. Three days later the vet made up his mind that it must have been a pufadder.

post-80018-0-93136400-1490356222_thumb.jpg

Luckily though he's fine now, except for an abscess under his ear that we have to keep on draining

Ahh shame man. Where do you stay? With so many complexes going up it seems more "wild" animals are being pushed into the suburbs.

In honeydew so on the edge of suburbia, I'm sure there are plenty around but this is the first in 3 years.

Shame man

I also had a similar incident a week ago. Was watching rugby on Saturday when my Weiemeraner came into the house, covered in blood. My first thought was holy shite a baboon got hold of him (I could hear baboons barking in the distance). Upon closer inspection I could only find 1 hole, in his ear. But it was literally squirting out this hole, a main artery was severed. 

attachicon.gifDSC_1146.jpg

When it became obvious I won't stop the bleeding I rushed him to the vet (75km away), who at the time also didn't know what could've happened to him. By this time he was in shock, and blood still squirting out his ear. Three days later the vet made up his mind that it must have been a pufadder.

attachicon.gifIMG-20170313-WA0005.jpg

Luckily though he's fine now, except for an abscess under his ear that we have to keep on draining

I read this so quickly hoping for a line like this because those pictures didn't look good. Glad he is fine.

and if the snake bit you the chances of you sitting here now typing this post would also have been slim  :eek:

I think my heart rate went up +- 30 beats reading your post.

Edited by Hairy

Shame man

DSC_1146.jpg

IMG-20170313-WA0005.jpg

That's hectic, those puffy bites are nasty for tissue damage, my one got off pretty lightly

That's hectic, those puffy bites are nasty for tissue damage, my one got off pretty lightly

Apparently dogs don't have the same tissue damage reaction we have. I don't understand it but ja even mine didn't have any tissue damage. Just a lot of swelling and bleeding

• 3 weeks later...