The I-Team

tombeej

Off day for me. Throat etc. Limped home in 3.26. Will reverse the ante in Stellenbosch in two weeks time. Cool to meet hubbers. Managed to be back in Durban by 16h30 and promptly sank many Castle Lites. Still, it was a good day on the bike, irrespective. I will make a statement that might upset some, but boy, 94.7 has the best organization ever, including water points. Even Ice-cream at one spot. Did anyone else notice the table with free Tequila? Well done to the organizers. Give credit where it is due. Well appreciated when you see money channeled back to the participant. Thanks to Tombeej who probably started something that will go from strength to strength.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Results are up!

8 guys went sub 3, with Wez winning the iGroup by miles LOL

Guys, that was an interesting day.

I did the pacemaking for quite a big group of i groupers (from the start to Joe Slovo) but the "problem" comes in in that the riders from other groups jump in and it became a group of 30-40 by Joe Slovo and despite waiting, there were only about 8 of us that regrouped among the masses. Then at the bottom of Witkoppen I had a mechanical and told the guys to go ahead, and between that and the crowds, I only saw Pieter again while playing catch up.

Well done to all though!

Ps. Hayley, I couldn't even spot that flouro helmet of yours in the crowds post start, sorry about that ;)

Morning all

It was fantastic to meet everyone I did yesterday. Carpet you were superb to carry on, huge respect. Lurch sorry to hear about the punctures, but great meeting you.

So for my report:

Arrived at 4:45, and while waiting for everyone I decided to loosen the muscles a wee bit by going up and down the incline between circle D and some other. I met GaryVM there who unfortunately got TWO punctures right there and then.

Once it was time to go to the circle we formed a group of round 12-15 people who made our way to the pens, Luckily Bouncing Brain got his puncture sorted out before we got there.

With 619 riders in the pen for batch I, our I team was spread out all over the show, this made life difficult from the start. Carpet, Sheriff, Patchman, Fat Boab and myself formed a group up pooks hill. Patch and sherif were trying to get more I team riders together (While I was battling just to stay with them) but this was fruitless unfortunately. Hayley, big up for showing up and riding injury and all.

On the M1 the V8's were setting a strong pace (For me at least) up front and this was when we caught up to a few other I teamer's, Bouncing Brain and co. They had shot off from the start thinking we were all in front of them (Mental note, spread out starts will never work)

Going through Gandi square we were up to 15-20 members which was awesome. This kept up till we came down and up and down and up Jan Smuts ave where I lost the bunch on a descend. They passed riders on the left I went right and almost got taken out but from there on it was a solo ride me me home.

I was to tired to latch onto any group coming past and when I found someone latching on me the punk ass would wait till my speed dropped and then shoot off leaving me to fight the wind by myself.

I ended my ride in 3:16 which is a PB of 24min and more or less my initial goal time so I am more than happy. Learnt a few valuable lessons just sitting on the wheel of pro's like sheriff and patch. Thanks for that guys!!

Is it just me or did the crowed this year seem to have grown from last year? it was fantastic. On the way in from Cedar Hill I passed three hand cyclists. I was complaining in my head to myself about leg cramps at the time and said loudly to a rider next to me that after seeing these guys I will not dare complain. Huge respect to them.

To everyone whom came out, thank you and well done. Hope to see you all soon again and to those whom suffered mechanicals, chin up at least it wasn't a crash :thumbup:

To Cadre, Bored Girl, Bar Hugger, Werner, Shaper and all the others whom I didn't mention, great meeting all of you.

The initial "I"dea behind the "I" team was to get Tombeej to fall back and help a few hubbers to work together for each other to achieve a few PB's with the dream of a sub 3.

I have to say that to a large degree this was achieved and thanks to Patch and Sheriff for the huge roles you played in making this a reality.

Although Tombeej was taken out before the start, thanks for all the effort you did in the ground work bud!! Enjoy your fishing and I will join you on your boat the next time I'm down.

I think I only know 3 people in that photo, so tagging everyone might be a great idea.

I thought I would let most people identify themselves (ok, that's just my way of saying I probably don't remember everybody and don't want to look stupid ;) :P )

I am the tallest rider in the group shot in the SPCA shirt and the plaster on the left knee.

Was at D circle at 6:00 but went through to the start at 6:10, couldn't see anyone with cable ties and doesn't really help I don't know anyone by face. Maybe I was a bit early, or late? Anyway well done to all!

Guys, that was an interesting day.

I did the pacemaking for quite a big group of i groupers (from the start to Joe Slovo) but the "problem" comes in in that the riders from other groups jump in and it became a group of 30-40 by Joe Slovo and despite waiting, there were only about 8 of us that regrouped among the masses. Then at the bottom of Witkoppen I had a mechanical and told the guys to go ahead, and between that and the crowds, I only saw Pieter again while playing catch up.

Well done to all though!

Ps. Hayley, I couldn't even spot that flouro helmet of yours in the crowds post start, sorry about that ;)

It was the carrot, I understand  ^_^

Nice meeting you! Probably the longest I chit-chatted to a stranger pre-race start.

Well done on 'taking it easy'  :thumbup:

a great initiative it was, but not everything went according to plan, i think a big race like this makes it very difficult to accomplish, but this thing has huge potential to work we gave it a good shot and most of us got PBs, we got split up before heartbreak hill and didnt know where the rest of the group was, someone said they infront and another said they behind us which is where most were, so i couple of us rode very fast from there on to catch the guys we thought were infront, we worked really well during that time sharing the work load, eventually even our small group broke up just before the end of the M1, i had fantastic race and day out, was very happy to meet so many of you guys, will definately be up to doing this again at any other race and try to help other achieve their best times possible, the biggest difficulty is starting as group and regrouping in the midst of so many other riders, also we need to have someone controlling from behind with a whistle or something because guys infront dont know whats going on at the back.i beat my previous PB by 10 minutes so thanks to everyone who helped.

again nice meeting all you guys.

Lekka lekka! (Probably better to make a meeting point inside the start pen as your final round up!)

Nice work everybody! Hopefully enough of you rode similar times to get the same seeding again next year and do I-team version 2!

It was the carrot, I understand  ^_^

Nice meeting you! Probably the longest I chit-chatted to a stranger pre-race start.

Well done on 'taking it easy'  :thumbup:

HAHA thanks for the chat ;)

Guys please forgive if i don't remember your name, I really suck at names, almost forgot my wifes on our wedding day :whistling:

post-46817-0-60795000-1447659382_thumb.jpg

From Left to Right:

BMW, Sorry ??, Patchman in the Black and white, Fat Boab, Yours truly with the strapped up knees, the One and only Sheriff, Cadre, Mrs/Miss Carpet, Dirt De Vil, Lurch, Shaper, Dom, Bouncing Brain, Monkey on a bianchi

post-46817-0-27071100-1447659271_thumb.jpg

Edited by ScottC-M

Next to Lurch on the right (red shirt thing) Shaper then Dom in red Tinderbox shirts

Updated, thanks. ;)