Stolen: 2015 Giant XTC Advanced

Cippo

Friend of mine was bikejacked by 2 guys on Plum Pudding heading towards Blockhouse this morning just before 8am. It is a Giant XTC Advanced, black carbon 29er with XT/SLX gruppo, AC Classic Wide Lightning wheels and Ergon grips, side entry bottle cages. PM Buzzman (082) 6252975 please with any sightings in a specific area so we can keep a lookout. Thanks

Edited by Cippo

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Friend of mine was bikejacked by 2 guys on Plum Pudding heading towards Blockhouse this morning just before 8am. It is a Giant XTC Advanced, black carbon 29er with XT/SLX gruppo, AC Classic Wide Lightning wheels and Ergon grips, side entry bottle cages. PM Buzzman (082) 6252975 please with any sightings in a specific area so we can keep a lookout. Thanks

Thanx Bro, it was my brother bike.... sucks big time

post-9580-0-17335300-1446375900_thumb.jpg

Edited by Buzzman

Oh no! Hope it gets recovered.

I've started riding at Rhodes several times a week over the last couple of weeks, this really sucks :(

2 coloured guys, one with knife, one with gun. Rider was about to head up Plum when they pounced, all he felt was the blow & he went down. Said he had no warning or hint that they were coming. Well hidden. As if they appeared out of no where. Roughed him up quite a bit. Took bike & phone. 

Roughed him up so much that he had to tell them to back off so that he could give them his phone. 

Edited by Stressed Eric

Oh no, this is terrible :( I'm also cycling there like 3 times a week at the moment. I hope you get it back!

What can be done about this? I suppose for a start, I shouldn't ride alone there anymore. And obviously, also try as best as possible to keep wary eyes out for any suspicious individuals on the trails. I know, it sounds like you couldn't have seen them coming here. But we'll have to try out best.

Faaarking terrible. It's my backyard and I hesitate to ride it alone at the moment! There were several incidents over the last month or so, all within a kilometre or so from Rhodes Memorial. Two involved a gun, the others a knife. Nobody got caught. It is time the lazy cops DO something! And while they are at it, also DO something about the robberies on the cycle lane where it crosses the N1! :cursing:

what happens now? besides the normal we musn't ride alone, pass on the info to sanparks, start FB safety groups etc. We need security

I agree, however you do realise that we live in a country, with high fences, with electric fences all around, burglar bars,security gates, armed response, etc.... and we hoping that in the serene beautiful landscape we are going to be protected when we ride our bicycles alone? It sounds like I'm giving up hope, but trust me in not.... I still ride my bike alone in the mornings and still enjoy the sport... but what I have done is give up on this useless leaders we call our government...

Which fails us on every single turn in this wonderful country we call home!

So here's a suggestion, mentioned to the guys on our riding groups, we commute table mountain daily.

Its not rocket science, and project that even myself i don't mind paying for....

So its almost R600 annually for a wild card, I'd pay R50pm(12xR50=R600) to have a permanent security box with 2 guards, one stationery in the box and another on a bike (preferably motored) doing patrols, these guards are then connected(radios) to the various/necessary companies, or agents. This is not a rocket science solution, if it needs to be worked out in terms of finance and planning, I'm more than welcome to sit down and document it. Secondly SanParks and even the Prov Government have the necessary infrastructure to do this, problem is myself as an individual i don't have the power, but us as a forum as a community we can make a difference.

To add, the box or hut can be setup at plum pudding this is easiest and definitely the central hub for riders to and fro CBD to Blockhouse to Rhodes Mem and also easiest access for scum to get in and out via De Waal Drive. It is also statistically and known as the hot spot.

Like what is mentioned, crime in Cape Town and in South Africa is problem, but we shouldn't take it lying down... This morning on Table Mountain myself and my brother and 2 solo runners were the only souls on the mountain, either Mondays are not a good day for people, or we've already given in to the scum, Goolam a friend and the victim has already stated Table Mountain won't see him again or any time soon, but why?

The normal citizen to these scum we outnumber them 1000:1 or so I'd think, we need to occupy and take back whats rightfully ours.

SANParks, WCPG, TableMountainBikers(although very can be done), we put it to you, a simple solution, of which myself is very willing to pay R50p/m you may not stop each and every robbery, but you'd definitely give a lot more people "peace" of mind riding this beautiful mountain again.

Edited by Meezo

So here's a suggestion, mentioned to the guys on our riding groups, we commute table mountain daily.

Its not rocket science, and project that even myself i don't mind paying for....

So its almost R600 annually for a wild card, I'd pay R50pm(12xR50=R600) to have a permanent security box with 2 guards, one stationery in the box and another on a bike (preferably motored) doing patrols, these guards are then connected(radios) to the various/necessary companies, or agents. This is not a rocket science solution, if it needs to be worked out in terms of finance and planning, I'm more than welcome to sit down and document it. Secondly SanParks and even the Prov Government have the necessary infrastructure to do this, problem is myself as an individual i don't have the power, but us as a forum as a community we can make a difference.

To add, the box or hut can be setup at plum pudding this is easiest and definitely the central hub for riders to and fro CBD to Blockhouse to Rhodes Mem and also easiest access for scum to get in and out via De Waal Drive. It is also statistically and known as the hot spot.

Like what is mentioned, crime in Cape Town and in South Africa is problem, but we shouldn't take it lying down... This morning on Table Mountain myself and my brother and 2 solo runners were the only souls on the mountain, either Mondays are not a good day for people, or we've already given in to the scum, Goolam a friend and the victim has already stated Table Mountain won't see him again or any time soon, but why?

The normal citizen to these scum we outnumber them 1000:1 or so I'd think, we need to occupy and take back whats rightfully ours.

SANParks, WCPG, TableMountainBikers(although very can be done), we put it to you, a simple solution, of which myself is very willing to pay R50p/m you may not stop each and every robbery, but you'd definitely give a lot more people "peace" of mind riding this beautiful mountain again.

I suspect that getting private security set up in a national reserve/public space may be a tricky proposition, bearing in mind the general attitude of Sanparks.

I'm in on at least R50/month though, should something like this be possible!

I suspect that getting private security set up in a national reserve/public space may be a tricky proposition, bearing in mind the general attitude of Sanparks.

I'm in on at least R50/month though, should something like this be possible!

100% agreed, although the idea could work, damn are the any SanParks officials that ride MTB? or do they deliberately try and being the hardest bunch around... :ph34r: ?

Extremely frustrating hearing about this, and speedy recovery to Goolam. This could have so easily happened to me a few weeks back as I lost friends of mine heading up. I ended up being alone for the entire ride up to blockhouse and was thinking what a bad idea it was. Its CRAP that I/we having our freedom stripped like this.

I like your idea Meezo, and yes would gladly pay for freedom as crazy as that sounds.

An alternative idea that I thought of be an unwritten rule/guide that groups congregate/depart from central points at certain times. So lets say Rhodes gate every half hour on the hour or Something like that to cater for guys who are alone.

I am prepared to pay into a guard system like this, but it is frustrating that once again we need to pay double taxes in South Africa.

We already pay tax that should result in SAPS and SAN Parks doing their job. As they don't, we now have to pay their salary and an additional amount for further people to do their actual work.