New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Also investigate ubag as an option.

Www.ubag.co.za

I used ubag to get some of my things to Aus. Very good pricing but be careful. After paying for Qantas freight handling, quarantine inspection (coming from South Africa it's basically unavoidable) and a clearing agent (freight and quarantine ate not open over weekend) and I was at work already, I paid more than the cost to get 2 boxes (60kg) here.

The guys at ubag will day it's an easy process to clear but I didn't experience that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Difficult to answer that if there isn't more information like below...

I did not go look at what Emirates travel policy is... 30kg checked in and 7kg carry on?

Are you getting a container of things sent later or is what you fly with all you are bringing to NZ?

Is biking your life (in the sense that you are more attached to your bike than some of your shoes or clothes etc)?

I am a bit bike crazy, so I will literally just fly anywhere with my bike always the 1st thing I pack - I don't care about the rest.

I fly over with my bike, so I packed the box (cardboard one) till max check in weight with the most valuable things that would get me riding this side (multitool, tyre levers, pump, shoes...I didn't even bring a camelback, I bought one this side), then my carry on I packed ONLY clothes (no shoes or liquids or or) ...I got my mom to make me a light material bag to the dimensions that the airline specify and you will be surprise how much clothes you can pack in 7kg. Fly with your heaviest clothes on - so your winter jacket, closed (leather? or sneakers or work) shoes, favorite heaviest jeans etc). In your carry on pack the clothes you value most, or will need most, so maybe work clothes and a set of riding clothes.

Now your bike box......bike in 1st, then then riding shoes, then tools as above, then you start loading more 'general' things, one more set of riding clothes, more casual clothes...till you us to 30(?) kgs.

But like I said, it is hard to say if we don't know what all you have to/want to bring over and if you have a container coming or not..

Thanx Haley.

Container to follow (and wife and kids), but bike NEEDS to come with[emoji4] .

I read on other sites not a good idea to load the bike bix until you get to 30 kg, they then tend to abuse the package....they dont like to lift heavy objects. Might then go with Wayne's suggestion of ubag.

Hope to be riding with you guys soon.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

Medical care. 

I have been blind in one eye since the age of three. I recently developed an illness that essentially is small blisters that form under the cornea and explode at random times. It hurts like a mother fudger.

Went to see the state clinic and was placed on the surgery waiting list.

Tuesday i find out the procedure date. 

Complete eye removal with prosthetic eye custom designed. It would cost around R200,000 in RSA.

Total cost to me in NZ is $4.50

That's what i had to pay for parking at the clinic. :)

Medical care. 

I have been blind in one eye since the age of three. I recently developed an illness that essentially is small blisters that form under the cornea and explode at random times. It hurts like a mother fudger.

Complete eye removal with prosthetic eye custom designed. It would cost around R200,000 in RSA.

Yeah, the medical system here is pretty decent! I have not had to use it yet, but after a dirt biking incident I had to take my riding buddy (also not a Kiwi citizen) to the ER.

Not only was his treatment covered, but the ACC sent him a letter a few days later to wish him a speedy recovery and assure him that everything was covered.

Do any of you guys use private medical schemes?

Work puts us on Southern Cross, and I upped mine to the 2nd highest plan. It works out to about R400/month (R700 including work's contribution).

Keep us posted on the surgery! All he best Wayne!

Yeah, the medical system here is pretty decent! I have not had to use it yet, but after a dirt biking incident I had to take my riding buddy (also not a Kiwi citizen) to the ER.

Not only was his treatment covered, but the ACC sent him a letter a few days later to wish him a speedy recovery and assure him that everything was covered.

Work puts us on Southern Cross, and I upped mine to the 2nd highest plan. It works out to about R400/month (R700 including work's contribution).

thanks man.

Hope I get an eye patch for a couple of weeks and I can pretend to be a pirate.

Medical care. 

Wayne, that's good to hear. The extent of my ACC claims has been part contributions to my physio bills after mountain bike crashes. They pay half of the $60 session fee.

Medical care.

The joys of taxes translated into services and not for marxist thieves! All the best with the surgery bud. Edited by Delgado

3 years ago I wasn’t feeling well at work and took myself off to the doctor. They took my heart rate and found it was at 265bpm and was in VT. The doctor basically told me I had 5 minutes to live and should phone family to say I might not make it. Luckily I was fit from cycling and my heart could handle the high rate. They rushed me to hospital and managed to get my heart back to normal using a defibrillator. If I was in SA I probably wouldn’t of made it to the hospital. This happened three more times before they put in a pacemaker/defibrillator. Which I think was irresponsible letting someone out when they have a chronic heart condition. But the pacemaker and the surgery cost me nothing which I am very grateful for. My medication cost me $25 every three months which in SA would be thousands a month. With my condition I feel they do not want to find out what is wrong with me and just want me out the door. If I was paying for it in SA I would make more of a fuss. They also don’t have the equipment in the government hospitals to do the test I need.   

My friends wife also had heart condition which they have been trying to treat. She eventually couldn't work because she was so sick. They decided to move to Australia where her doctor took all her medical records and threw them in the bin. He said they had totally misdiagnosed her and she would be dead in two months. She has since had open heart surgery and is feeling much better.

I have another friend who had to wait nine months for is knee operation. He couldn’t walk or work while he waited.

Having spent a lot of time in hospitals over the past three years I have noticed some trends. There is more pressure on the government medical system and the service is dropping, the waits for some procedures are increasing too. Because of the limited resources they will rather bandaid a problem and get you out the door than fix it because it is too expensive. The systems is good and cheep but I am not sure for how long. My advise is to get medical insurance it is not that expensive and enables you to choice what surgery and when you want it. If you leave it too long it gets really hard to get cover when you are older.

3 years ago I wasn’t feeling well at work and took myself off to the doctor. They took my heart rate and found it was at 265bpm and was in VT. The doctor basically told me I had 5 minutes to live and should phone family to say I might not make it. Luckily I was fit from cycling and my heart could handle the high rate. They rushed me to hospital and managed to get my heart back to normal using a defibrillator. If I was in SA I probably wouldn’t of made it to the hospital. This happened three more times before they put in a pacemaker/defibrillator. Which I think was irresponsible letting someone out when they have a chronic heart condition. But the pacemaker and the surgery cost me nothing which I am very grateful for. My medication cost me $25 every three months which in SA would be thousands a month. With my condition I feel they do not want to find out what is wrong with me and just want me out the door. If I was paying for it in SA I would make more of a fuss. They also don’t have the equipment in the government hospitals to do the test I need.

My friends wife also had heart condition which they have been trying to treat. She eventually couldn't work because she was so sick. They decided to move to Australia where her doctor took all her medical records and threw them in the bin. He said they had totally misdiagnosed her and she would be dead in two months. She has since had open heart surgery and is feeling much better.

I have another friend who had to wait nine months for is knee operation. He couldn’t walk or work while he waited.

Having spent a lot of time in hospitals over the past three years I have noticed some trends. There is more pressure on the government medical system and the service is dropping, the waits for some procedures are increasing too. Because of the limited resources they will rather bandaid a problem and get you out the door than fix it because it is too expensive. The systems is good and cheep but I am not sure for how long. My advise is to get medical insurance it is not that expensive and enables you to choice what surgery and when you want it. If you leave it too long it gets really hard to get cover when you are older.

I think it's part of a deliberate strategy by the government to underfund this, so that private companies can be invited in to "solve" the problem at some point. Same thing happening in the U.K. from what I understand.

Good point about age and cover. I'm probably at that age (47) where I should be looking at some private cover :|

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Difficult to answer that if there isn't more information like below...

I did not go look at what Emirates travel policy is... 30kg checked in and 7kg carry on?

Are you getting a container of things sent later or is what you fly with all you are bringing to NZ?

Is biking your life (in the sense that you are more attached to your bike than some of your shoes or clothes etc)?

I am a bit bike crazy, so I will literally just fly anywhere with my bike always the 1st thing I pack - I don't care about the rest.

I fly over with my bike, so I packed the box (cardboard one) till max check in weight with the most valuable things that would get me riding this side (multitool, tyre levers, pump, shoes...I didn't even bring a camelback, I bought one this side), then my carry on I packed ONLY clothes (no shoes or liquids or or) ...I got my mom to make me a light material bag to the dimensions that the airline specify and you will be surprise how much clothes you can pack in 7kg. Fly with your heaviest clothes on - so your winter jacket, closed (leather? or sneakers or work) shoes, favorite heaviest jeans etc). In your carry on pack the clothes you value most, or will need most, so maybe work clothes and a set of riding clothes.

Now your bike box......bike in 1st,  then then riding shoes, then tools as above, then you start loading more 'general' things, one more set of riding clothes, more casual clothes...till you us to 30(?) kgs.

But like I said, it is hard to say if we don't know what all you have to/want to bring over and if you have a container coming or not..

Very good recommendations, here - can always spot an experienced, logical traveler by the way they pack! 

Medical care. 

more,,,smiley face?

I took part in a kids and parents adventure race today with my little guy.

Its basically around 5km of trail running with 10 different activities in between. 

Some are physical, some mental, some fun, some arty etc.

It was a great day out.

Here are some photos.

post-18409-0-75168100-1490413120_thumb.jpg

post-18409-0-12912500-1490413128_thumb.jpg

post-18409-0-60494600-1490413134_thumb.jpg

post-18409-0-35184400-1490413142_thumb.jpg

post-18409-0-82133900-1490413154_thumb.jpg

I took part in a kids and parents adventure race today with my little guy.

Its basically around 5km of trail running with 10 different activities in between. 

Some are physical, some mental, some fun, some arty etc.

It was a great day out.

Here are some photos.

Nice WP made me smile. Just left my dudes behind, on the way to Singapore for a nightmare trip..