New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Things are easier in a developed nation.

Today I have a follow up appointment with my surgeon to do a quick checkup and remove the stitches holding my eyelid shut.

I can't drive yet. Pain meds make me a bit loopy.

Gonna take the loser cruiser (bus) into town. $3.15.

That's half of my two hour parking bill if I have to drive. Appointment is free. Medication is free.

I will never complain about paying tax in this country.

Glad it's moving along.

You will complain about paying tax if you have a chat with my mate who does domestic electrical repairs, it drives him mad how the bennies destroy stuff then get WINZ to pay him for the fixes...

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stitches have to stay for a couple of weeks.

Interesting characters on the mid day bus in Auckland.

Keeps one entertained.

Stitches have to stay for a couple of weeks.

Interesting characters on the mid day bus in Auckland.

Exactly the same as a midday train in Perth.

Direct quote by a lady with 3 kids all of whom were clearly from a different dad: 'No, you can't see Daddy today."

"Why, Mommy?"

"Cos he attacked someone with a big knife, and he's in prison"

How's everyone coping as Debbie Does New Zealand? Absolutely bucketing down with rain in the Bay of Plenty...so far only damage I've had is a small bush was tipped over in the wind.

How's everyone coping as Debbie Does New Zealand? Absolutely bucketing down with rain in the Bay of Plenty...so far only damage I've had is a small bush was tipped over in the wind.

Our water tank is full :)

A few roads closed around here, but the important ones were reopened pretty quickly. Just spotted some blue sky, so I think the worst might have passed us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah DDD my first romantic drama I ever watched as a kid ;)

DDNZ is the one with the sheep and the kiwifruit, no?

Tomorrow I am leaving NZ for the 1st time since I arrived (just over 10months ago).

Visiting my sis in the US for 2.5 weeks.

CAN.NOT.WAIT.to see her! Damn I miss my family. -_-

I am going to visit the Intense factory (10th April) and Santa Cruz (14th April) while I am there :clap:

Then I can say that I have been to all my favorite bike manufactures in person (did YT in 2014).

Hope to get a bike ride or 2 in around there, but our main aim will be to catch some west coast waves :) Then we will fly over to the east coast for the last 8 days.

Weird how I will be able to 'relive' 6 hours of my life on Friday the 7th....... I leave here at 21:00 and land in LAX at 15:00 (same day) ............ :wacko:  :blink:

Weird how I will be able to 'relive' 6 hours of my life on Friday the 7th....... I leave here at 21:00 and land in LAX at 15:00 (same day) ............ :wacko:  :blink:

And a whole day will mysteriously vanish when you return :)

Yes, Edgecumbe is right next  door to Whakatane - pretty unfortunate for the folk over there. I popped out at lunchtime to buy a chainsaw (STIHL, I felt so manly) and did a wee bit of rubbernecking; there are a couple of rivers in our area, the Whakatane one is massively swollen but it is the Rangiteiki which has burst into Edgecumbe. High tide at 3pm should be interesting as it pushes far into the Whakatane river mouth...

I popped out at lunchtime to buy a chainsaw (STIHL, I felt so manly)

Which model did you buy? I also need to get one, for cutting firewood and the occasional tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So this weekend we packed our overnight bags (mine is no bigger than a shoe box). Filled up our long range tanks. And headed off on a mini-adventure!

Here's a bit of the result...

post-10758-0-05353200-1491773507_thumb.jpg

Rakaia Gorge. No filter. That is the water's natural colour.

post-10758-0-79142300-1491773562_thumb.jpg

On our way to Mt Potts. Note the small tail pack attached to my bike (right). That was my overnight bag.

post-10758-0-26721100-1491773813_thumb.jpg

Mt Potts. Where the Edoras scenes in LOTR were filmed.

Edoras.jpg

Here's the same place when the film set was still there. It has since been removed.

Edited by patches

Day 2 of the mini-adventure

post-10758-0-76924000-1491774162_thumb.jpg

Lake Coleridge. Insanely clear water. No rivers flowing in. The lake is formed by snow melting on the alps. No river flowing out, but it does have an outlet for a hydroelectric power plant.

post-10758-0-29377800-1491774333_thumb.jpg

More Lake Coleridge. those pebbly shores are tricky to get going on.

and finally...

post-10758-0-83566100-1491774381_thumb.jpg

A giant doughnut in Springfield, Canterbury. For those who don't know, there is a "Big Things NZ Roadtrip Checklist"

https://www.acerentalcars.co.nz/info/new-zealand-travel/new-zealands-big-things-road-trip-checklist/