Bad chain setup by LBS destroys 947 ride

Kevin Corfield

I am sorry to hear about your bad day but some folks have asked for my response. The cassette was ordered on Tues 10 Nov for Friday delivery confirmed to you. On Thursday the agents advised that my Friday delivery was not going to be met and I personally drove out to collect the order  (on Thursday) and called you to arange the fitting of the cassette at 12.30 as you wanted to go out traning that Thursday afternoon. The cassette was fitted at no charge, the chain was in spec as per chain checker and the bike was test ridden outside the shop.I assumed the bike was fine on your Thursday afternoon ride or you would have contacted me as you have my personal cel no. Once again sorry about your bad day out but please bring your bike in, in order for me to correct the problem for you at no charge. Graham.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Kevin was too cheap to replace the chain....

See it all the time at a lbs. Customer thinks he / she is being ripped off and declines a new chain. Then they back two days later irate and demanding immediate attention because the service didn't fix anything that wasn't broken in the first place.

Note to mods. Can we have a complaint box section. Just so I know where not to click

Just putting it out there

Yeah. What gets me is when someone comes on here, rants and "names and shames" (in his mind anyways) an LBS (or stereotypes a segment of cycling) and then disappears. What do they expect to accomplish?

99,99% of rants are subjective and emotional. O crap, this is a rant....

[emoji23][emoji36]

I am sorry to hear about your bad day but some folks have asked for my response. The cassette was ordered on Tues 10 Nov for Friday delivery confirmed to you. On Thursday the agents advised that my Friday delivery was not going to be met and I personally drove out to collect the order  (on Thursday) and called you to arange the fitting of the cassette at 12.30 as you wanted to go out traning that Thursday afternoon. The cassette was fitted at no charge, the chain was in spec as per chain checker and the bike was test ridden outside the shop.I assumed the bike was fine on your Thursday afternoon ride or you would have contacted me as you have my personal cel no. Once again sorry about your bad day out but please bring your bike in, in order for me to correct the problem for you at no charge. Graham.

Ooh this is getting interesting..

New Cassette = New Chain ALWAYS

EXXXXXCEPT when the tight-fisted client insists that if he wanted his chain replaced, he would have asked for it.

FFS, all you guys just want to rip us cyclists off :cursing:  :cursing:

Graham

I see that you are bending over backwards to remedy this, I respect that and appreciate that in anybody I like doing business with.

However, I suspect that the OP is one of those guys who is dissatisfied unless he has managed to bend a business owner over forwards, and maybe not even that will satisfy some guys.

Please post what was wrong with the bike once you have fixed it. I would be very keen to know how a new cassette stuffs up the front shifting and front limit settings.

I agree, however, you should have an over-rider that states, price includes a check and then a recommendation and quote to get things sorted. It is called upselling. 

I know i have just had to refund a customer serious money and lost 2 weeks worth of labour and fuel costs etc. Because I did exactly what you did without putting my foot down.

I have just re-learnt my lesson, never doing this again.

Upselling is one thing, but look what happens when a LBS washes a bike and adds the cost to the jobcard...

Upselling is one thing, but look what happens when a LBS washes a bike and adds the cost to the jobcard...

No worries if this was Sold upfront.

I have always been my own mechanic, be it motocross, mountain biking or triathlon. I can't see what is has to do with the argument.

Let's try another angle then.

You contract someone to install a new satellite dish at your house the day before the world cup final while you are at work. Come Saturday you discover your DSTV signal strength is 6% and the dish is pointing in the wrong direction. The installer is also earning way less than a formula 1 mechanic but he is still expected to deliver a working solution.

I can list dozens of examples of work we can reasonably expect to be done right if we pay for it.

Clamping a bike in a work stand and running through the gears before you give it to a client is not an impossible task.

not an issue, rwc final was on sabc2. Go get a coat hangar and make maguyver bunny ears! :-)

New Cassette = New Chain ALWAYS

Don't agree (ALWAYS???). I was advised to clean (run through a rag) and re-oil after every 3 hours of cycling. Check your chain with a proper tool and change the chain before it stretches past the tool max mark. I've used the same cassette and already running my second chain on it. All still clicking very well without any issues.

Bottom line IMHO, if you look after your drive train, you don't have to replace the cassette as regularly as you change your chain.

Don't agree (ALWAYS???). I was advised to clean (run through a rag) and re-oil after every 3 hours of cycling. Check your chain with a proper tool and change the chain before it stretches past the tool max mark. I've used the same cassette and already running my second chain on it. All still clicking very well without any issues.

Bottom line IMHO, if you look after your drive train, you don't have to replace the cassette as regularly as you change your chain.

Every three hours? So mid ride just whip out some clean green, little spritz from the water bottle, bit of oil back on the chain and away you go

(Obviously you would have to be in the big ring to do this, dont be silly) :P

You are 100% right, but I think he was referring to the other way round. New chain <> new cassette (as you have said), but new cassette = new chain.

That's a lot of oiling. Are your frame and wheel covered in oil from spraying off the chain? Just kidding, but yes you can go through a few chains on one cassette but its just good practice to put a new chain when you fit a new cassette because a worn cassette will wear a new chain out quickly and a worn chain on a new cassette can slip.

Every three hours? So mid ride just whip out some clean green, little spritz from the water bottle, bit of oil back on the chain and away you go

(Obviously you would have to be in the big ring to do this, dont be silly) :P

You said "spritz" LOL

Nice one Graham! Kudos to you! Great to see when business ethos lives up to treating the customer with respect even when he doesn't deserve it, cos everyone else is watching and whilst you may lose that one customer you gain so many others from this kind of interaction instead! 

Its hard to do what you did and try to make it right even when you were not in the wrong. Owning a business can be tough when you really want to just tell the person what they rightfully deserve to hear.

Now Im not saying that either party deserves to hear anything, I wasnt there, but I would sure love to know how that Thursday afternoon ride went!

Big respect to you Graham, I hope people take notice about your integrity.

Archived